Joel Otto

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What are you guys memories of this player? What did he bring to the ice? I was too young to remember when he was around.

cut.jpg

Reactions: Tofveve

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He should have been named president of hockey ops and gm. If they were serious about winning.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Big strong guy with some good offensive skills and decent skating

To me he was the best 3rd line center in Flames history.

Yes, better than Backlund

He was awesome at faceoffs. Decently offensively gifted. Had size, not a goon but would drop the gloves when needed. He fit Philly's gigantic sized team. Was sad to see him go, probably not mentioned enough when it comes to the mass exodus of the late 80s and early 90s.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
As a rival fan, hard matchup, shutdown C. Great in the dot, big frame, minute eater. Even used on the powerplay in front of the net. The Battle of Alberta was something in the 80s. My hatred of the Flames developed largely from the wars we had against you guys and Otto played a big part in it.

As someone mentioned, not a goon but would fight. Went after McSorley when he got Suter. Could score as he did the game 7 winner vs the Canucks in 89.

The Battle of Alberta now and in recent times really doesn't hold a candle to those mid to late 80's games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad