Speculation: Joel Farabee

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Why in the world would he not keep Torts?

Because he’s not the coach for the Flyers - you and I will never agree on it.

I think Torts is an overrated slob and the team is going to majorly regress under him this coming year.

They cracked when they needed to not crack because the style of coaching he brings to the table is god awful.

And he benched Frost and Brink in the most important game of the the year. Plus many other benchings that did happen when they shouldn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He's the guy I originally wanted Ottawa to target instead of DeBrincat. Not sure what Philly would want, but I'd be very interested if something made sense.

Does Chychrun/Chabot for Farabee make any sense as a base?
Ottawa also has Boston's 1st, which I assume would be in play for someone like this.
Flyers shouldn't be interested in Chychrun or Chabot but they probably would be.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Why in the world would he not keep Torts?

Don't get it either. It's a Bizarro World thing on the boards here. Pretty much every player on the Flyers was better by the end of the year - with the exception of those injured or returning from injury and the team nearly reached the playoffs with what for all intents was a rookie goalie yet somehow Tortorella isn't a good coach.

Makes no sense.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Don't get it either. It's a Bizarro World thing on the boards here. Pretty much every player on the Flyers was better by the end of the year - with the exception of those injured or returning from injury and the team nearly reached the playoffs with what for all intents was a rookie goalie yet somehow Tortorella isn't a good coach.

Makes no sense.

I think you've had this explained to you by myself and others in different threads, but.

1. No, not every Flyer was better. What are you talking about? They got identical performance from most of their young guys the year prior—Tippett and Frost had essentially the same output and flaws as the year before—while others like Konecny and Cates regressed massively by the end of the season. Only Flyer who looked demonstrably better, in terms of developing and correcting mistakes, was Cam York.

2. Some will say Torts is a bad coach, but I just think he's the wrong coach at the wrong time. He alienates and exhausts a lot of your roster while milking 10-15 more points out of it than it should attain. That's not what they as an organization need at all. They're bereft of talent and have been for more than a decade. There's nothing to build around other than one maybe who is two years away in a far-off land.

Teaching a bunch of middle 6 wingers how to BLAWK SHAWTS and PLAY DA RIGHT WAY is not going to turn them into elite talents. Which is what they actually need. So the whole Torts experience is a sideshow that doesn't get them closer to anything, it just keeps them in the miserable middle for longer.

And Briere ain't gonna fire his boss. Briere's job was contingent on him promising to keep Torts around. Which is the sort of f***ed up power dynamic you get in a badly-run company, but I digress—I think Briere himself would be removed if he attempted to bring a Torts firing to ownership.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
From Elliotte Friedman:

"The other one I wonder about is Joel Farabee," he said.

Nothing more. But if there’s smoke, there’s fire?
Farabee is a former 1st rd pick, 24 y.o., set career high season with 50 pts, which is very good for low scoring team without PP. He just completed the second year of a six-year, $30 million contract. The contract doesn't have any trade clauses.

Who might be interested?

For me as a Flyers fan the worst case scenario is trade him just for picks.
At 5 million for 50 points doubt his trade value is high

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Farabee and Frost were the 1st rounders that went from STL to PHI for Brayden Schenn and also dumping the dumb contract Armstrong gave Lehtera.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
What if we add rosen?

Philly isn’t looking to rebuild because that’s the Philly way. So you can continue adding prospects on prospects but I’m sure Briere won’t be looking for that. The commitment is to Torts and Torts doesn’t rebuild teams.

I would take a deal around picks and prospects. But I’m not in charge.

Reactions: Faceboner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad