Confirmed with Link: Joel Farabee re-signs 6 YR 5 AAV

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Never trust men who only wear f***ing golf shirts. A dress shirt to be fancy. Some jeans. T-shirt and blazer. Plenty of business casual options. Or even just casual! Anything but golf shirts. Hockey Guys are as backwards in fashion as they are in everything else.

Say what you wants about the Flyers but is there a better dressed coach than dearest Alain? Looking the part is his speciality.
It’s non-tailored, 1 size too large golf polo you need to worry about.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Farabee S% will decline, but not to 9-10%, he's the best shooter on the team.
As he gets stronger, he should be a better player going forward.
He has scored at a 2.25 pp/60 pace at 5x5 his first two seasons, 43rd in the NHL (1000+ minutes).
Even if he doesn't improve, it's a fair price.

I'd point out TK scored at a 2.16 pace over those two seasons.
He also finds himself wide open playing with great play makers. So his shooting percentage is going to be higher.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Deal doesn't blow me away in any direction, but I'd lean towards Farabee outperforming it in the near future. Behind Couts I definitely agree with him being our most crucial piece at forward to have gotten locked up going forward so I'm on board it with it 100%. The kid is a fantastic player, in a similar but not identical vein of Couts.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I really like Farabee and i like to sign homegrown player longterm. On the other side you have leverage with them so you need to get a discount if you want to build a contender. This contract could be a discount in 2 years. But it can also be an overpayment when AV decide to bench him cause he dont perform with hayes as his center for example. I think its more likely he outperform the contract. But it should a bit more friendly Cap wise with all the franchise controlling years he has left. Another solid but not great move by Fletcher. Sometimes you need to be great in your JOB sometimes you only need to be solid. Especially if you want to be the best in your job sp you can win a Stanley Cup. Fletcher is sometimes solid, sometimes good, but a lot of times bad. Not good enough to win anything. And i think the Ellis trade was good, the Couts contract was great. All in all not good enough

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But it can also be an overpayment when AV decide to bench him cause he dont perform with hayes as his center for example.

When was Farabee benched?

And the Farabee - Hayes - Allison line was our best looking line at the end of the season, despite Hayes playing with a sports hernia.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Draft Reflections: Finding the next Brendan Gallagher - EP Rinkside
This model could be applied to other prospects who came after Gallagher and who earned more success than their draft rankings suggested they would. One that comes to mind is Joel Farabee, a player I definitely ranked too low in his draft-year.

The work ethic was evident with Farabee back then. He complemented Jack Hughes and Oliver Wahlstrom perfectly with his high-motor, energy, and occasional playmaking abilities, but Farabee was not an efficient creator back then. He missed offensive opportunities or failed to execute on them. Like Gallagher, he was willing to make plays inside contact and drive the slot over and over again, showing the occasional flash of higher skills in the process. One of his main talents was finishing plays in the middle of defenders in the slot, which is now a staple of his game at the NHL level.

Looking at his game in 2017-18, I projected Farabee as a bottom-six, supportive forward in the NHL, but his career arc suggests he will become much more than that. By leveraging his inside-game, net-front timing, playmaking skills, and favouring shot volume, like Gallagher, the winger has managed to collect goals in Philadelphia. He scored 20 in 56 games this past season. Now, he looks poised to establish himself as a top-six goal-scorer for years to come in Philadelphia.

5jz9hT16UVfOiddg3SwXUhq55o212icmqFb5kdkQcfyv6khrmzelz7MW61iZXeNPj_oG1PrjaEhGnBog7v7VWLWj2wZsvbegJpIcPmA124RnI7hzeQDJ_LRMkjcho1KdyK04GWC1=s0

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I can't really see this being all that bad but I can definitely see scenarios where it's great.

Good deal.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Sorry but Fletch is still an idiot. This should have been a bridge deal for 2/3s the money. Joel, whom I really like and am actually glad he's locked up but that's just my opinion, hasn't PROVEN to be worth a long term contract at that much money. It's bad asset management even if I'm glad it was done. It's still bad asset management.

This off-season has proven just how horrible of a GM Fletchis, he's a joke

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One of the keys in giving an extension early is the player's intangibles, Farabee > TK in that area. TK's motor runs hot and cold, when he's in a scoring slump, in the past he's let his defense slide, though he's gotten better. Farabee has a higher hockey IQ and is willing to go to dirty areas, though physically he's still a couple years from thriving there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sorry but Fletch is still an idiot. This should have been a bridge deal for 2/3s the money. Joel, whom I really like and am actually glad he's locked up but that's just my opinion, hasn't PROVEN to be worth a long term contract at that much money. It's bad asset management even if I'm glad it was done. It's still bad asset management.

This off-season has proven just how horrible of a GM Fletchis, he's a joke

Very little in this post makes sense.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bad asset management would be signing him at 2 x $3.33m, and then having to extend him at $7m+ in a couple of years if he really breaks out.

I'm amazed that people still don't understand how this works.

It's a form of gambling and it happens on every team in every sport. When you have young players you really believe in, do you try to lock them up long-term early so you can get a discount, or do you kick the can down the road and then possibly pay a lot more. Farabee is a player worth gambling on.

We had Coots on an unbelievable deal because Hextall rightfully believed in him and gambled on him by signing him to a 6 year $26 million contract coming off of an 11 goal, 39 point in 63 game season.

Reactions: Curufinwe and TCTC

pooch

May 30, 2017
I'm amazed that people still don't understand how this works.

It's a form of gambling and it happens on every team in every sport. When you have young players you really believe in, do you try to lock them up long-term early so you can get a discount, or do you kick the can down the road and then possibly pay a lot more. Farabee is a player worth gambling on.

We had Coots on an unbelievable deal because Hextall rightfully believed in him and gambled on him by signing him to a 6 year $26 million contract coming off of an 11 goal, 39 point in 63 game season.
Could not agree more. This signing has some risk (very few long term signings dont), but it's a good risk to take in my opinion.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Keep in mind that quality of play can remain consistently high and scoring might not be consistent or what the player deserves.

It can all change drastically based on quality of linemates, the system, good/bad luck, and so on.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him never hit 70 points, even if his play deserves it, given the way this team is trending and who’s in charge. It’s just one step backwards after another, especially offensively.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bee is a real gamer. He even turned a pass in the back of his skates by Yandle into a goal. Thank god Hextall made at least one pick we already know was a real good one in 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad