Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Reported on Flyers Facebook
Screenshot_20220624-222326_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Four months gets him back in November.

Since it's an upper body injury, he should be able resume skating fairly quickly, not as quick as with a shoulder, but early enough to regain his conditioning - upper body strength will take longer since he'd have to be cleared to lift.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Disc replacement for a Teenager? That kind of surgery should be a last resort.
Lots of folks on Twitter complaining now that it wasn't done earlier. What a weird world.

Should also be last resort for a 22 year old like Farabee, or a 40 something like me.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
With zero medical knowledge; this does not seem like something someone so young should be going through, and that it will not allow him to play at the same level after recovery.
If you want to know more about it just look at stories about Eichel’s surgery and return. Eichel is only a few years older.

The reaction to this news on twitter was appalling. Instead of feeling bad for a 22 year old who just had major surgery that is not common in the NHL, it’s just fans whining about how Farabee maybe missing the first month of the season affects them.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
If you want to know more about it just look at stories about Eichel’s surgery and return. Eichel is only a few years older.

The reaction to this news on twitter was appalling. Instead of feeling bad for a 22 year old who just had major surgery that is not common in the NHL, it’s just fans whining about how Farabee maybe missing the first month of the season affects them.
I thought he had discs fused.

Yeah people are shit.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
With zero medical knowledge; this does not seem like something someone so young should be going through, and that it will not allow him to play at the same level after recovery.

I think cervical disc issues are becoming more common. The strain we put on our necks from just looking down at our phones is just a lot...and joel is kinda in that first generation thats been doing stuff like that his whole life. Add in that he plays a contact sport...i could see bulging/herniated discs happening.

Surgery usually is a last resort... but I could see how it could really hinder a a pro athlete. There is a lot of buzz and confidence in this newer disc replacement surgery...i think the one knock on it is lack of long term studies.

He probably prefered to fix the problem rather than try to fight through it.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I think cervical disc issues are becoming more common. The strain we put on our necks from just looking down at our phones is just a lot...and joel is kinda in that first generation thats been doing stuff like that his whole life.
Agreed, and video games cause violence

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Don’t be shocked if it’s fusion down the line in his life

Or so I was told anyway.
I'd have to go back and listen, but Marek and Friedman had an interesting interview with a doctor who was a proponent of Eichel getting the disc replacement on 31 thoughts last summer. IIRC, he said that the risk of future surgery was actually significantly lower for replacement than fusion. I believe the sentiment was that if you have one fusion, you are virtually guaranteed to have additional fusions at regular intervals for the rest of your life, whereas there is a good chance a replacement is one and done. Would have been July/August last year for that pod IIRC.

Edit: It's July 31, 2021 Pod. I can't seem to link to the sportsnet page for it. Here's one of the articles in the shownotes though: Comparison of cervical disc arthroplasty and anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for the treatment of cervical disc degenerative diseases on the basis of more than 60 months of follow-up: a systematic review and meta-analysis - BMC Neurology

Very technical, but findings are generally (unless I'm misreading it completely): better range of motion, less incidence of re-operation, and less risk of adjacent segment disease in individuals receiving replacement vs. fusion surgery.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'd have to go back and listen, but Marek and Friedman had an interesting interview with a doctor who was a proponent of Eichel getting the disc replacement on 31 thoughts last summer. IIRC, he said that the risk of future surgery was actually significantly lower for replacement than fusion. I believe the sentiment was that if you have one fusion, you are virtually guaranteed to have additional fusions at regular intervals for the rest of your life, whereas there is a good chance a replacement is one and done. Would have been July/August last year for that pod IIRC.

Edit: It's July 31, 2021 Pod. I can't seem to link to the sportsnet page for it. Here's one of the articles in the shownotes though: Comparison of cervical disc arthroplasty and anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for the treatment of cervical disc degenerative diseases on the basis of more than 60 months of follow-up: a systematic review and meta-analysis - BMC Neurology

Very technical, but findings are generally (unless I'm misreading it completely): better range of motion, less incidence of re-operation, and less risk of adjacent segment disease in individuals receiving replacement vs. fusion surgery.
Let’s hope it works out that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad