Proposal: Joel Ericksson-Ek to Pittsburgh/Philadelphia

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Given the comments made in training camp, it seems that Ericksson-Ek is going to get buried again in the depth chart. The organization isn't that high on him (they are trying out Donato at 2nd line center) and he has struggled to adapt to the NHL. He could have used a season or two in the AHL, but that ship has long passed. He has a modest cap hit, and if he does break out (and it's a big if), he could be a solid 2nd line center. He has shown some skill in the AHL, but that isn't saying much since he only played 18 games.

Given that Fletcher drafted him and that the Wild now have Guerin as our GM, I was wondering if the Flyers or the Penguins wanted to take a chance on him. As for the Wild, be better to trade him now before his value tanks even more.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I get why fans can be frustrated with his play but the kid can still become a useful middle six forward. I'm looking at his ahl numbers and he is a ppg down there when he gets demoted. He probably just needs a chance playing in the top 6 or to be moved to another team to be given another chance. He is still only 22 after all...I think the wild should just hold on to him.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I get why fans can be frustrated with his play but the kid can still become a useful middle six forward. I'm looking at his ahl numbers and he is a ppg down there when he gets demoted. He probably just needs a chance playing in the top 6 or to be moved to another team to be given another chance. He is still only 22 after all...I think the wild should just hold on to him.
He did play top 6 last season after the Koivu injury and his play was better though still not great. I think this is a put up or shut up year for him, hopefully he put a lot of work into shooting this summer because he has a good one when he can get it off but struggled mightily last year. I would not trade him yet but he does need to take steps forward this year for sure if he wants a future. his defensive side of the game is great and he appears to have a good hockey IQ, just missing the offense at the NHL level.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He did play top 6 last season after the Koivu injury and his play was better though still not great. I think this is a put up or shut up year for him, hopefully he put a lot of work into shooting this summer because he has a good one when he can get it off but struggled mightily last year. I would not trade him yet but he does need to take steps forward this year for sure if he wants a future. his defensive side of the game is great and he appears to have a good hockey IQ, just missing the offense at the NHL level.
He can play with some good players this year like Zucarello , Fiala or even Donato if he plays the wing. I think Ek will be a good 40 point player soon.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not necessarily against trading him, but it's not like anyone's going to give up anything worth a damn for him right now.

Our center depth is still Staal, Koivu, then a melange of iffy bottom-6 guys. It's on Ek to differentiate himself.; not being handed a 2C spot out of training camp doesn't mean he's buried.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
What happened to him? I remember a lot of hype. Flyers are more than fill up in current, future, and current future players for roster spots. And that’s after cutting a lot of fat.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, I tried Pens fans.

tumblr_ny4j5ihfmC1qe6vjyo1_250.gif

Reactions: 66-30-33

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What happened to him? I remember a lot of hype. Flyers are more than fill up in current, future, and current future players for roster spots. And that’s after cutting a lot of fat.

Nothing has happened, per se. He just hasn't taken the step forward offensively that we had hoped for when we drafted him.

OP is hoping someone will still provide value in return for the chance that he breaks out. But it doesn't make any sense because the value we would get in return, hypothetically, would either be less, or it would be someone similar who hasn't really taken that next step, and we're hoping they do with us. It makes far more sense to keep the guy that plays the position we need.

Koivu's contract ends after this year, and if he isn't brought back, we'll need all the centers we can get.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Nothing has happened, per se. He just hasn't taken the step forward offensively that we had hoped for when we drafted him.

OP is hoping someone will still provide value in return for the chance that he breaks out. But it doesn't make any sense because the value we would get in return, hypothetically, would either be less, or it would be someone similar who hasn't really taken that next step, and we're hoping they do with us. It makes far more sense to keep the guy that plays the position we need.

Koivu's contract ends after this year, and if he isn't brought back, we'll need all the centers we can get.
Thanks.

Yea that’s what I would think as well. Same with us and Patrick. Although Patrick has a little more promise and higher ceiling.

Reactions: AlwaysSunny

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Absolutely the **** not

Why not? Big right winger is a need for Minnesota. I mean remember the Pouliot/Latendresse trade?

Our center depth is still Staal, Koivu, then a melange of iffy bottom-6 guys. It's on Ek to differentiate himself.; not being handed a 2C spot out of training camp doesn't mean he's buried.

We have Sturm, Kunin, Donato and Rask. Along with Ek. Who knows who can shake out of that?

I’d give him one more year to see. I just think you’re selling low at a position of team weakness.

We have a bunch of guys like Ek, selling low is when he decides to go back overseas.

It's not a position of a need; we have Sturm, Rask, Kunin and Donato along with Staal and Koivu. That's six centers. Even without Koivu that's five centers. We could use a big right winger like Pool Party.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Philly could probably justify Hagg and one of our lower-tier forward prospects, but not much beyond that (and even that's tricky, since Eriksson-Ek makes more than Hagg, which makes the Konecny negotiation a bit tougher.) You're probably better off just keeping him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad