Value of: Joel Edmundson's next contract

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Canes and Blues fans,

It seems likely that Carolina won't be re-signing Edmundson this offseason. In yours and Blues' fans opinions, what would he be worth/asking for on a 3-5 year contract?

From a Kings perspective, we need a young-ish, veteran defenseman who can insulate our young up-and-comers and eventually be a contributing #3-5 guy with Cup experience when we return to the playoffs. From my view, he's got size, he's a low-mistake puck mover who skates well, he plays LD which we need, and he's young enough to grow with our youth movement.

In our '12/'14 runs, guys like Scuderi, Greene, Mitchell, and Regehr were important pieces on and off the ice, and it seems from the outside looking in that Edmundson could grow into a similar role. I'm not sure he'd want to come to a rebuilding team, but given that he's already won a Cup, the Kings have a promising young group of prospects, we could offer term, and he could live in the South Bay, I could see it.

We were guessing over on the Kings board that he'd want something along the lines of these deals:
  • 3 yrs @ 4.75M
  • 4 yrs @ 4.5M
  • 5 yrs @ 4.25M
Are we far off? Is that too much for what Edmundson could bring? Fire away!

Reactions: flying v 604

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Love what Eddy brings. But paying anything over 2.5 AAV would be a mistake in my opinion. He’s shown some flashes of being very very good throughout his career. But I think the fact of the matter is the flashes were anomalies and he’s more of a bottom pair guy who will bring grit.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I could see the Jets overpaying for him. He's a Manitoba kid too which helps.

He would fill a hole and we're desperate. Hot take: Chevy offers him 4×5.0 an offer he can't turn down

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Love what Eddy brings. But paying anything over 2.5 AAV would be a mistake in my opinion. He’s shown some flashes of being very very good throughout his career. But I think the fact of the matter is the flashes were anomalies and he’s more of a bottom pair guy who will bring grit.

Gotcha, thanks for the input. I saw his current salary at 3M, and figured he'd be asking for a significant raise given that it seems that he was pushed out of both bluelines by $$$.

Ideally, he'd be a #3-4 for the next 2 years while we bring up the kids, but then transition to a #5-6 veteran role as they mature and the team starts to (hopefully) compete again.

It sounds like he would be a good fit for our blueline, but might not have as high of ceiling as I thought. That's okay on our end, as long as it's reflected in his cap hit. It would be fantastic if like another poster mentioned we could sign him for something like Chiarot's deal.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

I agree with you but I would say $3.0 is probably the max. He’s a heart and soul guy that can play up on a higher pairing but he doesn’t have the consistency to play above bottom pairing. If he’s your 5-6 then it’s fine.

He plays physical, jumps in the rush from time to time is solid but unspectacular defensively. He has tools but his IQ and ability to read plays/decision making is just a bit too slow to be a key piece.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I’ve been interested in Edmunson as a Kings fan for a few months now. Would be a good depth piece for a young inexperienced blueline.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Gotcha, thanks for the input. I saw his current salary at 3M, and figured he'd be asking for a significant raise given that it seems that he was pushed out of both bluelines by $$$.

Ideally, he'd be a #3-4 for the next 2 years while we bring up the kids, but then transition to a #5-6 veteran role as they mature and the team starts to (hopefully) compete again.

It sounds like he would be a good fit for our blueline, but might not have as high of ceiling as I thought. That's okay on our end, as long as it's reflected in his cap hit. It would be fantastic if like another poster mentioned we could sign him for something like Chiarot's deal.

I’m guessing his average will be at least 4M with UFA inflation. There’s always one dumb GM that has to have the player. I think Eddy will be a fine pickup for whoever gets him, but he’ll get too much like they all do in UFA.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I’m guessing his average will be at least 4M with UFA inflation. There’s always one dumb GM that has to have the player. I think Eddy will be a fine pickup for whoever gets him, but he’ll get too much like they all do in UFA.

Yep, definitely could see us giving 4M (depending on what the cap does with COVID19, anyhow). It wouldn't be the end of the world given the fact that we'll have a high number of ELCs on our books the next few seasons, as long as the term wasn't more than ~4 years.

Given that everyone here seems to like what he brings even if it's not at as high of a level as we'd hoped, I'm definitely hoping Blake gives his agent a call.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Edmundson is the exact type of defender the Rangers need. If the price is reasonable, I can see them being involved.

I'm not as familiar with the Rangers back-end situation, but given the loss of Skjei and the up-and-coming puck-movers, that makes sense. Would you be able to sign him given Fox and Deangelo's next contracts?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Anything over $3M is a waste of money and cap space. He is at best a #4 even on a poor team. If you're counting on him as a 2/3 guy, your team has a lot of problems on D and you better be prepared to spend more money on better players (and not waste it on him long-term) if you want to get better.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I'm not as familiar with the Rangers back-end situation, but given the loss of Skjei and the up-and-coming puck-movers, that makes sense. Would you be able to sign him given Fox and Deangelo's next contracts?

If there’s a compliance buyout, absolutely. Especially if Lundqvist decides to retire, then that compliance buyout can be used on Staal and that clears up almost $15 million in space.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd give him 2x4.5 or 3x4.

We have the cap to burn, and our blueline desperately needs a physical element. He'd be a stopgap by design, but hopefully he views the extra dollars as adequate compensation for accepting shorter term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad