Joe Thorton passes Trottier and Bure as he moves up to 7th in all time empty net goals!

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
One reason is more games played, so they get more chances to do it. The other maybe more parity in the game, resulting in more games that are close and goalies are pulled. Also, I don’t know, if the coaches always used to pull the goalie with three goals down and five minutes to go, like we sometimes see now. I don’t remember seeing that as a kid in the 90s, but idk.

I think you are right, seems like goalies were pulled closer to a minute left instead of 2 or 3 like now. I also feel like they didn't pull the so much when down by two goals, whereas now it happens almost every time.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Nah, for years he’s been out consistently defending when the other team has the net empty. With Keefe he has been the go to center all situations.
He just doesn’t bury them when the net is empty. One of the best goal scorers all time but can’t score eng, very odd.

It's usually him or Marner outlet passing to Hyman who gets it.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
A team should allow him to score 4 EN goals in a game.
Just for the celebration.

I mean, after the first EN goal, the game is absolutely finished.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
With a two goal lead and 20 seconds left in the game Pavel Bure took his game to another level. I was in a fantasy pool and we started calling ENG "Bure's" in his honor.

My Best-Carey

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It seems like Joe Thorton still is able to add to his legacy at 41 years old as he passed legendary players like Bryan Trottier and Pavel bure and moved up to 7th all time in empty net goals with this beauty:

Not too bad for Joe Thorton to be in the all time top 10 in a goals category as he's terrible at scoring goals. Here's the all time list for anybody that's interested: NHL Stats
Funny how Thorton has as many empty net goals as Wayne Gretzky has empty net assists. For some reason Gretzky was terrible at empty net assists as he has 4 less empty net assists than Nicklas Backstrom. :laugh:

Great player.

Meaningless stat.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Great player.

Meaningless stat.
No it's not. It's another stat that Gretzky dominated with 56 empty net goals. And it could be broken by Ovechkin who has 39 or even by Aho as well who just put up his 19th empty net goal in just 5 seasons in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad