Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Thornton peak, Stamkos prime

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Thornton for peak and prime

Votes: 108 67.5%

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Vastly different players with similar legacies as the worst playoff performers of their generation (relative to ability). Thornton was arguably the best playmaker in his prime, while Stamkos was the 2nd best goalscorer during his.

Who was the better player?

Peak is who was better at their absolute best.

Prime is the number of years they were elite. So who was better over the course of years they were elite.

Steven Stamkos

Stat placements

PPG: 3, 3, 6, 7
Goals: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 7, 9
GPG: 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 6, 7
Assists: 9, 9
APG: 9

Award record

Hart: 2, 6, 8, 11, 11, 14

Joe Thornton

Stat placements

PPG: 1, 2, 3, 6, 6, 9
Assists: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 7, 7, 8, 10
APG: 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9
GPG: 10

Award record

Hart: 1, 4, 5, 5, 6, 9, 12, 14
Selke: 5, 14, 19,

And bonus question, who was the better playoff performer!

Last edited:

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
you’re gonna get pelted with people saying that stamkos has two cups and not at all comparable to jumbo. you’re not wrong however

That being said I think stamkos pre leg injury was ramping up to be the better player. It’s a shame

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Stamkos is the better leader as he was able to lead his team to the cup twice and he also has better playoff runs with 4 playoffs of at least 15 points, which is usually seen as a pretty decent playoff run. Thornton only has 2 playoff runs with at least 15 points. But Thornton did way better at playmaking in the playoffs than what Stamkos has been able to do as a goal scorer. Thornton is 25th in all time playoff assists while Stamkos is only 79th in all time playoff goals. Stamkos can still add to his stats and it's not impossible that he could climb to the top 25 in all time playoff goals as well.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Ok so I'm gonna go to bat for Stamkos cause I have a feeling this will be lopsided.

I think there's a solid argument he has the better peak between the two (Stamkos 2011-12 and Thornton's 2005-06 season.)

Stamkos has the 13th highest EV goal season of all time. But what's even more impressive is that everyone ahead of him played between 1992 and 1970. 3 of the highest scoring environments ever. So he has the highest even strength goal season this century and in the last 31 years.

As for overall production. He finished 2nd behind Peak Malkin in a lower scoring environment than 2005. The gap between him and the 10th place scorer is 19 points. It's true that the gap between Thornton and the 10th place point producer of his season is quite a bit larger, at 32 points.

However, let's put that into context.

Matthews is currently leading the league in goals this season with 52 goals and is a serious hart contender. One of his main competitors for the award is Kucherov, the current points leader who outproduces him by 25 points, Matthews is sitting at 8th place in points. But of course, Matthews has a 14 goal lead over him. His whole case hinges on scoring significantly more goals than anyone else.

Well, peak Stamkos outscores Thornton by 31 goals without accounting for the fact Thornton played in a higher scoring environment. That would also mean that the point gap would realistically be quite smaller since Stamkos was the runner up to the Art Ross.

So if you're someone who thinks Matthews is the number 1 Hart candidate, it's logically inconsistent to vote Thornton for better peak. Considering the gap between Stamkos and Thornton in goalscoring is significantly larger and the point placement gap is noticeably smaller than that of Matthews and his competition for the Hart.

And really, anyone that values goals quite a bit more than assists should be voting for Stamkos given how massive the goalscoring gap is and how close their actual point placements are.

Last edited:

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Yes, he even did it once with 2:47 in icetime over the entire playoff. What would that team even be without their leader on the ice?
Yeah but he scored one of the most electrifying goal in playoff history in that game:
Esa Lindell looked like he was playing defense against his wife's boyfriend on that one!
Oh and I think it was Cirelli and Palat who mentioned that Stamkos was always in the locker room cheering the team on, giving advice and cutting vicious promos if necessary!
There's no doubt that Stamkos is the real deal as the Captain when it comes to leadership. And it's no surprise as he's the reincarnation of arguably the greatest leader of all time, George Washington:
1709037904398.png

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, he even did it once with 2:47 in icetime over the entire playoff. What would that team even be without their leader on the ice?

Stamkos had an all-time great playoff run - that trumps the combination of Matthews's this season along with peak Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr combined.

That playoff run - his Goals per 60 was a whopping 28.13. Matthews this season is at about 1.88, for comparison.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Thornton for sure for peak and prime. Thornton’s hart trophy season and few years surrounding it was better than Stamkos at his peak and his prime was better as well. “Stamkos was a better leader because he captained his team to cups” is borderline trolling. You don’t have to be Napoleon freaking Bonaparte to “lead” a team with Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevsky, Point, etc.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's funny to see people arguing that Stamkos was great in the playoffs, he really wasn't. His play drops off a fair bit in the postseason. He was lucky to be on great teams.

That being said, if Stamkos' playoffs weren't great then Thorton's were just flat out bad. 32 goals in 187 playoff games is brutal even if you are mostly a playmaker. And his points take a huge drop.

To me, this would be Stamkos in a walk if he doesn't get injured. Even with the injury though, I'll take him. I favour goalscorers and while he's not great in the playoffs he does have two cups.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's funny to see people arguing that Stamkos was great in the playoffs, he really wasn't. His play drops off a fair bit in the postseason. He was lucky to be on great teams.

That being said, if Stamkos' playoffs weren't great then Thorton's were just flat out bad. 32 goals in 187 playoff games is brutal even if you are mostly a playmaker. And his points take a huge drop.

To me, this would be Stamkos in a walk if he doesn't get injured. Even with the injury though, I'll take him. I favour goalscorers and while he's not great in the playoffs he does have two cups.

you're proving the point.

"has 2 Cups"...yeah he really earned that 1st one playing in 1 game that postseason. Unless he's some godly motivator leading the team from the bench like he's Charlie Conway

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
you're proving the point.

"has 2 Cups"...yeah he really earned that 1st one playing in 1 game that postseason. Unless he's some godly motivator leading the team from the bench like he's Charlie Conway
Honestly, it doesn't change much for me here. As I wrote, I don't see him as a great playoff performer anyway. Better than Thorton but that's not saying much.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I value goals enough more than assists to pick Stamkos here. He'd be regarded considerably higher if not for significant injuries.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

In fairness to Thornton, He actually lead his team in points during some of his playoff runs. (I had a whole post about it but can't find the thread) Stamkos never did.

Thornton has 2 PPG playoff runs and 4 just below a PPG, Stammer has 1 PPG run in a 4 game series and another one just below a PPG

But I honestly don't know who the worse or better playoff performer is as a whole. Thornton's lows were worse. For instance, Stammer never went pointless in a 7 game series.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Jumbo.

Stamkos has always been propped up by better players throughout his career .
That's false.

2009-10. Stamkos had the same amount of points as St Louis while scoring 22 more goals. Was 6th in hart voting. Way ahead of St Louis

2011-12

Stamkos scored 35 more goals than St Louis, and 23 more points. He was the Hart runner up, way ahead of St Louis.

2012-13.

Stamkos had 3 less points, but 12 more goals. Both played the same amount of games. Was 8th in hart voting, St Louis right behind him

2014-15. Led his team in points and goals.

That's 4 seasons right there where he was the clear cut best player on the team.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That's false.

2009-10. Stamkos had the same amount of points as St Louis while scoring 22 more goals. Was 6th in hart voting. Way ahead of St Louis

2011-12

Stamkos scored 35 more goals than St Louis, and 23 more points. He was the Hart runner up, way ahead of St Louis.

2012-13.

Stamkos had 3 less points, but 12 more goals. Both played the same amount of games. Was 8th in hart voting, St Louis right behind him

2014-15. Led his team in points and goals.

That's 4 seasons right there where he was the clear cut best player on the team.

I disagree. I think the only year he was the best was 11-12 imo. Having more goals and similar points doesn’t mean he’s better when St.Louis is the one driving play on the line. He was legit great in 11-12, and again at the start of 13-14 before hurting his leg, but the rest of the time he was mostly just a shooter. And in 14-15, Hedman was the best player on the team and I don’t think a single Tampa fan would say Stamkos was better than Johnson that year either. He was also passed by Kucherov in the playoffs

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Two very different players who would have been magic together in regular seasons at least. Neither playoff legend but Stamkos has done more there. As per Stammer played on better team players etc. Those Sharks teams were stacked as well and Thorton did nothing with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad