Joe Sakic vs Gilbert Perreault

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Players from different eras. But both didnt exactly play in the high scoring eras.

You can argue Gilbert did, but he didnt start his career in the high scoring 80s

Who is the better player?
Joe Sakic or Gilbert Perreault

55209-542-177GP.jpg

55168-27JS.jpg

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Sakic by miles. Gilbert was a phenomenal player. But Sakic had a more dominant peak, better longevity and many more regular season and post season accolades.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Really? It's Sakic, easily. Perreault is a very deserving Hall of Famer, but come on this isn't fair to him. I'm curious to see if anyone will attempt an argument for Gilbert though.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Gilbert was better at dipsydoodling with the puck. So if hockey was an Olympic style competition, he'd probably win.

Since hockey is about scoring and preventing goals, I had to vote for Sakic.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
thats what im waiting for :)

there must be something that Gilbert is better than Sakic that can be used for an legit argument

He was a better more fluid skater. Faster too I would say. Sakic had a choppy stride, but was still very quick. Perreault was more effortless when he skated.

That's about it to be honest. Sakic beats him in every category:

Goal scoring: Sakic
Playmaking: Close, but Sakic
Clutch play: Sakic, not fair to Perreault who was good in the playoffs but not other worldly like Sakic
Defense: Sakic
Cups: Sakic 2, Perreault 0
MVP: Sakic 1, Perreault 0
First Team all-stars: Sakic 3, Perreault 0
Second Team all-stars: Sakic 0, Perreault 2
100 point seasons: Sakic 6, Perreault 2
50 goal seasons: Sakic 2, Perreault 0 (44 his highest)
Longevity: Sakic (had a 100 point season at 37)

There isn't an argument for Perreault. Sakic is very close IMO to the Esposito, Clarke, Mikita, Trottier crowd. And depending on who you ask (it would be about 50/50) he's ahead of Yzerman all time. Not a fair shot for Perreault.

If you want to judge Perreault a better poll is one vs. Hawerchuk or Statsny for example.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Players from different eras. But both didnt exactly play in the high scoring eras.

You can argue Gilbert did, but he didnt start his career in the high scoring 80s
[/IMG]

The 70s was still higher scoring than the 90s.

This one is Sakic easily.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Except that one's a goal scoring machine of a winger and the other a playmaking center.

Both one dimensional offensive players. I'm sure if Perrault wanted to he could play on the wing, I mean he wasn't covering his defensive responsibilities. He let craig ramsay and don luce do all the defense for that team.

Last edited:

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
First off, I will open with saying a comparison to Sakic is ridiculous and should not even be a topic.

With that out of the way, I need to defend Perreault a bit since these ridiculous comparisons tend to make people bash the player who should not be in the comparison.

Except that one's a goal scoring machine of a winger and the other a playmaking center.

I never thought of Perreault as just a playmaker. To me he was good at both goal scoring and playmaking.

Both one dimensional offensive players. I'm sure if Perrault wanted to he could play on the wing, I mean he wasn't covering his defensive responsibilities. He let craig ramsay and don luce do all the defense for that team.
Okay, I have no idea where you people get this "Perreault was a terrible defensive player" nonsense, but it is quite inaccurate.

Granted he was not a standout defensive player, but he was not a sieve either. 90% of the time he was on the ice the opposing team was trying to defend against him, and he was flying around their defensemen making them look stupid with his one on one moves. He backchecked, and did little things right, enabling him to get puck possession and use his real skills.

Brett Hull was far worse in his own end in his blues days than Perreault ever was. Perreault should not be lumped in with the Hull/Bure/Housley types at all.

And for the record Ushvinder, Luce, Ramsay and Gare were the two way line on that team(And a very very good, underrated line at that), and never played with Perreault, who played on the French connection line.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
First off, I will open with saying a comparison to Sakic is ridiculous and should not even be a topic.

With that out of the way, I need to defend Perreault a bit since these ridiculous comparisons tend to make people bash the player who should not be in the comparison.

I never thought of Perreault as just a playmaker. To me he was good at both goal scoring and playmaking.

Okay, I have no idea where you people get this "Perreault was a terrible defensive player" nonsense, but it is quite inaccurate.

Granted he was not a standout defensive player, but he was not a sieve either. 90% of the time he was on the ice the opposing team was trying to defend against him, and he was flying around their defensemen making them look stupid with his one on one moves. He backchecked, and did little things right, enabling him to get puck possession and use his real skills.

Brett Hull was far worse in his own end in his blues days than Perreault ever was. Perreault should not be lumped in with the Hull/Bure/Housley types at all.

And for the record Ushvinder, Luce, Ramsay and Gare were the two way line on that team(And a very very good, underrated line at that), and never played with Perreault, who played on the French connection line.

I didnt say they were on the same line, i just said luce and ramsay did the defence for that team. Most coches expect thier first line center to carry defensive responsibilites and luce-ramsay were pretty much the defensive studs on that team.

Brett Hull vs Gilbert Perrault would be much better than this joke poll.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Top 10 finishes in scoring:

Perreault: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th,

Sakic: 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th,

I hate to say anything negative about Perreault but Sakic is a guy that get tossed around with Yzerman (and that decision is hardly a given). Sakic in the regular season beats him convincingly and we haven't started with the playoffs. Yeah, the best way to judge a player is see how he did vs. his peers

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Top 10 finishes in scoring:

Perreault: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th,

Sakic: 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th,

I hate to say anything negative about Perreault but Sakic is a guy that get tossed around with Yzerman (and that decision is hardly a given). Sakic in the regular season beats him convincingly and we haven't started with the playoffs. Yeah, the best way to judge a player is see how he did vs. his peers

To be fair though, Sakic was someone that just didn't slow down and most of his success is really from 1999-2004. If you were to compare them based on thier first 10 seasons, this poll would have been alot closer.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
To be fair though, Sakic was someone that just didn't slow down and most of his success is really from 1999-2004. If you were to compare them based on thier first 10 seasons, this poll would have been alot closer.

Actually Sakic was 3rd and 4th in scoring in his earlier years. Then he won the Cup in '96 and the Conn Smythe which was one of the best performances I ever saw. It would be closer to judge them after their first 10 years since Perreault declined after 30 years old and Sakic kept on motoring. But even in their first ten years I think you'd still want the complete package in Sakic.

But I also tak stock in longevity and durability. If a guy was among the NHL elite up until he was 37 (his last 100 point season) that helps his case. He had 17 years between his first and last 100 point seasons. Wow, that is serious shelf life. Unfortunately Perreault couldn't do that

SabresFreak97

Mar 20, 2006
Cheektovegas, NY
I want to know why People would even consider to debate this. Different Eras, Different types of teams, different types of players. Kind of a dumb idea to start a thread like this.

Perrault was a smooth skating guy that could go end to end with no problem vs slower and somewhat worse skaters than what Sakic had to deal with. I think both guys should just be considered great and leave it at that. Who cares who is better? Both are Canadian so it's not a matter of who's country is better.

I do think that Sakic was better than Perrault in the intangibles, leadership and others. Now remember, Gilbert in his Prime was playing before Gretz changed the game. I think if Gilbert played for an Original 6 team people would be all over this claiming otherwise.

So in my opinion...Sakic was the better all-around guy in his day compared to Gilbert. Also didn't hurt that Sakic had Peter and Patrick to help him in the playoffs for a few years

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Also didn't hurt that Sakic had Peter and Patrick to help him in the playoffs for a few years

It was a good thing the three of them had going. During their 1996-2003 run together, the only time Sakic was the one to drop the ball in the playoffs was 2000. Typically, it was either Roy, the defense, or Crawford that derailed them.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Too close to call.

Definitely Perrault going by career prior to entering the NHL and definitely Sakic going by NHL career.

We will have to see how Sakic does as an old-timer for the tie break.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Too close to call.

Definitely Perrault going by career prior to entering the NHL and definitely Sakic going by NHL career.

We will have to see how Sakic does as an old-timer for the tie break.

Err..what?

What makes this close?

Since when do we take stock in junior careers for NHL players?

Sakic, as noted, as much better longevity..what do you mean how her does as an old-timer? He retired. And will be a first ballot hall of famer.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I voted Sakic but if I was buying a ticket to a hockey game and I had a choice of a game featuring either sakic or perrault, I would easily pick the Perrault game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad