Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Shame on y’all for not changing your rating of Sakic as the Avs GM to a 5. Can’t do any better than winning the SCF.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Great GM, nothing changed there

Hiring scouts that can draft outside the top 10 is the only obvious flaw followed by getting a reliable solution in goal

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Great GM, nothing changed there

Hiring scouts that can draft outside the top 10 is the only obvious flaw followed by getting a reliable solution in goal

Drafting is still a weakness, but in fairness the team did draft three RHD's who turned into players other teams valued highly enough to be key parts in three trades for a starting goalie, top 4 RHD, and 2nd line RFA forward. Pretty bleak beyond that though.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I know this is the Joe Sakic thread, but I wonder what's on Patrick Roy's mind right now? I still hope he finds his way back into the NHL someday.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know this is the Joe Sakic thread, but I wonder what's on Patrick Roy's mind right now? I still hope he finds his way back into the NHL someday.

Haven't seen if he's said anything after they won, but Roy had some nice things to say about Joe and the team during the Oilers series.

"I am an Avalanche fan, seriously," said Roy, the former Colorado goalie and coach. "I have so much respect for 'Landy' (captain Gabriel Landeskog) and Nate (MacKinnon).

"It was a privilege coaching those guys. Joe (Sakic, the Avalanche general manager) gave me the opportunity. I have so much respect for Joe. He's been doing a very good job, building that team, putting it together."

"At the end of the day, they're fun to watch, they're good for the game," Roy said of MacKinnon and Makar. "They're what our game needs, not just for the pro level but for the juniors as well. High tempo and playing that way, these guys are models for younger players. They're certainly going to bring our game to another level and that's what we need."

Roy tried unsuccessfully to connect with Sakic through huge crowds on May 3 at the Montreal funeral of Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur.

"So, I texted Joe and wished him good luck," he said. "I told him 'You guys are fun to watch. This is very entertaining. The people in Denver are very lucky to have such a great team, and a team that is exciting to watch.'"

"I think the guys are hungry and knowing Landy and Nate, they're going to make sure their guys are ready," Roy said. "There's no doubt in my mind that they will. Landeskog is a really good captain. He's a phenomenal leader, he plays a 200-foot game, he has a really solid head on his shoulders and I'm sure he'll make sure his teammates are ready.

"I'm speaking from experience, I worked with him for three years there. He was already the leader of the team then … smart, making good decisions, capable of talking to the guys. Now he's even more experienced. And MacKinnon, when he gets on his horse and flies, my God, he's fun to watch.

"I'm sure they're on a mission, like we were in 2001 for Ray. It's impressive. I'm happy for the fans in Denver and I'm happy for Joe, he's been doing a very good job. I'm just going to put my feet up and watch it on TV. It's going to be fun. The Final will be great hockey and it will be great for the game."

Roy Will Be Rooting For Avalanche

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Roy leaving us high and dry like that still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

But.. that also resulted in Bednar coming here, and I think having an idol figure behind the bench was a little too distracting.

Reactions: El Travo

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Roy leaving us high and dry like that still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

But.. that also resulted in Bednar coming here, and I think having an idol figure behind the bench was a little too distracting.

People may not want to hear/read this, but I don't care. The Avs could not evolve until Roy left. They were stuck with one foot out the door on analytics, they did not fully embrace them until they brought in a coach who fully bought into advanced stats. People have pointed out that even during the dark times of 2016-17, you saw them start making the right moves, when before that from 2014-16, they basically made all the wrong ones.

I still want to see Patrick Roy back in the NHL, but I don't know if he'll ever get the shot, and that's at least partially on him.

That said, Patrick Roy's legacy is secure with the Avs, and not just as a player. In addition to at least one year of great Avs hockey (however unsustainable it was), it was Roy who told the organization they were drafting Nathan MacKinnon. End of story.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
People may not want to hear/read this, but I don't care. The Avs could not evolve until Roy left. They were stuck with one foot out the door on analytics, they did not fully embrace them until they brought in a coach who fully bought into advanced stats. People have pointed out that even during the dark times of 2016-17, you saw them start making the right moves, when before that from 2014-16, they basically made all the wrong ones.

I still want to see Patrick Roy back in the NHL, but I don't know if he'll ever get the shot, and that's at least partially on him.

That said, Patrick Roy's legacy is secure with the Avs, and not just as a player. In addition to at least one year of great Avs hockey (however unsustainable it was), it was Roy who told the organization they were drafting Nathan MacKinnon. End of story.
I also think they couldn't evolve until he left in a psychological sense too. Having this Avs legend, a bigger than life presence and aura behind the bench like that.. Kind of like moving away from home/to college for the first time and figuring things out on your own. Too hands on.

He was important to have for a time though. He really shook up the culture and pushed/forced the Avs in areas where the club was complacent. His ego and "my way or the highway" attitude was ultimately why he left, but it was a needed voice during a time when losing was too easily accepted.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Screenshot_20220627-234924.png
Screenshot_20220627-235042.png

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Changed. Was waiting to see if we won a cup.

Been arguing for years on here how good a GM Sakic would make. He just has the mentality for it, imo.

Love his patient approach.

It seems like he really is doing it for the players, too, because he’s already been there.

Was super neat to see him lift the cup again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad