Blue Jays Discussion: Joe Panik traded for the reliever we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The highest amount of injuries league wide before this season at this point of the year was 391. This year, it's at 550.

Chalk this up as a loss.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
10 Top 100 prospects pushing for promotions
Simeon Woods Richardson, RHP, Blue Jays (No. 4, MLB No. 72)
This isn’t Alek Manoah levels of dominance in the Minors, but with every coming start, Woods Richardson builds a case that he should get to Triple-A Buffalo on his own soon. The 20-year-old right-hander has allow one earned run or fewer in four of his five starts with Double-A New Hampshire, resulting in a 2.25 ERA. He has fanned 36 in 24 innings and 36.7 percent of the batters he faced – again right in line with Greene’s 37.0 percent mark at the same level prior to his promotion. Woods Richardson would have even more innings on his resume, had he not represented Team USA in the Olympic Qualifiers earlier this month. The fact that he was chosen for that squad – and that the Jays allowed him to go compete with a team littered with other top prospects and former Major Leaguers – tell us how advanced the right-hander is.

Moreno?

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
These 1-year deals have paid off in a big way
Robbie Ray, LHP, Blue Jays ($8 million)
Ray’s longstanding command issues worsened in 2020, when he posted a 6.62 ERA with 45 walks in 51 2/3 innings between the D-backs and Blue Jays. However, Toronto quickly re-signed him just a few days after the start of free agency, taking a chance on his potential.
Something has clicked for the left-hander in 2021, as he’s filling up the strike zone like never before. Ray’s zone rate, first-pitch strike rate and overall swing rate are all up dramatically, and his walk rate has dropped by 12 percentage points (from 17.9% to 5.9%), the largest among qualifying pitchers. Ray is still allowing a ton of hard contact, but the drop in free passes has mitigated the damage, to an extent. Meanwhile, he’s continued to miss bats at an elite level -- his whiff rate ranks in the 89th percentile and his strikeout rate is an 87th-percentile mark. Add it all up and Ray owns a 3.83 expected ERA (based on quality of contact, strikeouts and walks), more than two and a half runs better than his xERA (6.49) in 2020.

Molina is on this list and remember a lot of guys not wanting him on the Jays. Yadi would be tied with Teoscar for the 4th best fWAR on the team at a catcher position where we are ranked 28th.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
NEW Draft Top 250: Top Tools

Full List: Top Baseball Draft Prospects

Players around the Jays pick;

19. Bubba Chandler
20. Anthony Solomeyo

21. Gunnar Hoglund
22. Jud Fabian
23. Joshua Baez
2. Ryan Cusick

25. Chase Petty

All players i would be happy with.

For @TheMadHatTrick

31. Gavin Williams (seems really low)

I'd take any of the bolded.

If Williams is ranked low on other team's boards I wonder if the jays could cut an underslot deal with him. Then again MLB.com's rankings are sometimes wonky relative to the rest of the industry.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
NEW Draft Top 250: Top Tools

Full List: Top Baseball Draft Prospects

Players around the Jays pick;

19. Bubba Chandler
20. Anthony Solomeyo
21. Gunnar Hoglund
22. Jud Fabian
23. Joshua Baez
2. Ryan Cusick
25. Chase Petty

All players i would be happy with.

For @TheMadHatTrick

31. Gavin Williams (seems really low)

Am I the only one that likes Will Taylor with our pick, permitted that he's willing to sign for a reasonable offer? Multi-sport star athlete, CF profile, doesn't swing and miss much and apparently his power has jumped this spring.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fire Montoya. Season is just about donzo because of this moron.
I'm not a big Montoyo fan, and he's cost us a few games no doubt, but the reason this team is hovering around .500 is because we almost need 3 hands to count the pitchers on the injured list at any given time

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Samad Taylor with 2 hrs tonight. I'm not sure what happened since the last minor league season but this Samad Taylor is just mashing.

Otto Lopez 3-3 as well. He doesn't hit for power but the guy knows how to hit.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Am I the only one that likes Will Taylor with our pick, permitted that he's willing to sign for a reasonable offer? Multi-sport star athlete, CF profile, doesn't swing and miss much and apparently his power has jumped this spring.

But are you worried he isn’t committed to baseball and plays football and you are left without a draftee in the first 2 rounds in the 2021 draft.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Ew McGreevy. There are some rumors about the Jays and McGreevy. I don’t like it.
I think pundits are making connections based on some cursory similarities with Shane Bieber. I hope the Jays go in another direction. I don't see that type of upside in him, and while I think Longenhagen is being a little hyperbolic, I agree with the general tenor of his assessment. I saw him pitch a few weeks ago and he was sitting 92-93 mph. Not 95-97mph that some reports have.
grover: Is Michael McGreevy a 1st round lock?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1:20Eric A Longenhagen: No way, the guy I saw last weekend was not a 1st rounder
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad