In Memoriam Joe O’Donnell, entrepreneur and transformative philanthropist for cystic fibrosis, dies at 79

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Joe O’Donnell, whose expansive holdings included stadium concessions, a venture capital firm, a marketing agency, and ski areas, was 79 when he died of cancer Sunday in his Boston home.

His fund-raising propelled scientific advances and “led to the breakthrough medicines that are transforming the lives of tens of thousands of people with cystic fibrosis around the world today,” said Dr. Michael Boyle, chief executive of Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. “We would not have these transformative medicines without Joe.”

Initially building a business empire with the Boston Culinary Group, which provided concessions to stadiums and other venues across the country, Mr. O’Donnell branched into a multitude of other ventures. When pressed, though, he would often smile, shrug, and say he sold popcorn and candy.

A friend once joked that he “owns 4 percent of everything,” Boston Magazine noted when it placed Mr. O’Donnell atop its 2006 list of “The 100 People Who Run This Town.”

High on the roster of his other full and part ownerships were the private equity group Belmont Capital, Allied Global Marketing, and the Suffolk Downs racetrack.

“He could digest the most complex spreadsheet in minutes,” said Mike Sheehan, a friend and former Globe chief executive who was a partner in some of Mr. O’Donnell’s ventures. “But his real gift was his X-ray vision: He could see through the numbers to the people behind them. And if he sensed the slightest character flaw, there’d be no deal.”

Rising to success from a modest childhood, Mr. O’Donnell was the son of a police officer and a school secretary in Everett, a formative hometown that still loomed large in his thoughts when he was spending most of his time in boardrooms and executive suites.

“In Everett, you could blindfold me and I could smell my way home,” he recalled warmly in a 2003 Globe interview. “I love that city.”

By that year, Mr. O’Donnell had led separate groups of partners who tried, without success, to buy the New England Patriots in the late 1980s, and then the Red Sox, before the team was sold to a group led by principal owner John Henry.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Joe should have become the lead owner of the Red Sox in 2002 - he had the high bid but Bud Selig allowed John Harrington to change the rules on the last day to make it impossible for the bid to work. Harrington extended Aramark's concession contract and of course, O'Donnell's bid was based on his company running the concessions.

It was Boston tribalism at its worst - Harrington the BC guy from Mission Hill was not going to sell to the Harvard guy from Everett.

Reactions: Gee Wally

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Joe should have become the lead owner of the Red Sox in 2002 - he had the high bid but Bud Selig allowed John Harrington to change the rules on the last day to make it impossible for the bid to work. Harrington extended Aramark's concession contract and of course, O'Donnell's bid was based on his company running the concessions.

It was Boston tribalism at its worst - Harrington the BC guy from Mission Hill was not going to sell to the Harvard guy from Everett.

Worked out pretty damn well for Red Sox fans.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Just one example, of which there so many. My sisters post this am on FB.

“I worked for Joe O’Donnell for 30 years…he was a busy man but always had time to ask his employees about our lives. He was always there to help you if you found yourself in a tough situation. Back in 1995 the house I was renting in was being sold. My husband and I and 2 small children were being evicted right before Christmas. He saw me crying at my desk, called me into his office, asked what was going on…when I finished telling him what happened he advised me to stop renting and purchase a home. He then told me he would lend me the down payment. Said to take as long as I needed to repay him which I did within 2 years. I owned my 1st home due to his largesse. That’s only 1 example of the kindness he extended to me over 30 years. Rest in Peace Joe
🙏
you’ve done so much for so many….Gods Speed
❤️

Reactions: sooshii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad