Player Discussion Joe Murphy current situation

Feb 9, 2013
Sorry, haven't read through the entire thread ... but, last I heard Joe Murphy is in Kenora Ontario (back in Kenora). He was here in Thunder Bay for a while, I met him - I work with the homeless population in Thunder Bay. He was set up in a place, but spent his time on the street. We talked a little ... I really wanted to ask him about Messier and the 'boys.' I didn't, just stuck to small talk. He also spent time in the hospital here, and was sometimes visited by fellow players. Tragic story.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
This screams of a manic episode (one that won't end), and apparently mixed with drugs (just by what I gathered from the article - though psychosis can be plenty weird without any drugs being involved).

I had a close friend who went over the edge like this, probably genetic in her case. f***ing terrible thing to watch.

I hope he finds peace.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Sad.

I saw him last year when I was doing work on the roof of the Canadian Tire in Kenora. Had no idea who it was until the info came out.....almost fell outa my chair.

Damn... Not accepting help at all.... at this rate you can't help but think for the worst

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It was bad enough when the story came out and he was homeless with mental health issues. Now that he is also apparently “using” I fear it is only a matter of time for Joe, and that time is never long or pleasant. It’s sad and I hope it turns out better than it usually does.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Saw an article on Yahoo Sports as well today. Seems to have picked up mainstream attention again. Poor guy.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Reading through the article (and the comments below it helped, including from Brownlee) reminded me so much of the Will Smith movie Concussion. Really sad if the concussion issues contributed to his own isolation and present financial situation. Those who haven't seen the movie really should... it was a great one.

I living thru it . After my 4th or 5th concussion I started taking seizures . There a period of about 3 or 4 years of my life I can not remember nothing . I became moody , bad mood swings . It cost me my marriage and so much more . This happen in AB work place . Compensation cut me off of benefits so I appealed their decision but because of my memory I missed the hearing. I tried to reopen the case and they wouldn’t let me . They said the employer would have to agree and of course they wouldn’t as it would put their rates up . Left me screwed . Still have many issues today . Headaches everyday. Meds to control the seizure cause weight gain . Gone from some who raced jet ski to being over weight moody person who can hardly move .

The saving grace is I think my ex now understands what I been threw and we are friends although every now and then my mood gets in the way . The bad because I can’t remember 3 or 4 years of my life I have no clue what I done . I know my ex daughter hates me which is ashame as we were close before this happen

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This won't end well for Joe Murphy and eerily that's what he said about the NHLPA's attempted help in getting him a room. Like with anything that would occur to him now a delusional thought process took over and he mistook the help to be a sinister plot (even from past team mates) and he became paranoid about it and by his accounts had to leave. This is Crystal Meth demons following Murphy everywhere now and at this point it doesn't matter what intervention there is, Murphy is beaten.

Let the one message in this be, please, that if anybody out there is reading this that experiments, do NOT get into Crystal Meth or opioids. Research stuff you are going to experiment with very carefully and stay well clear of harmful substances. Murphy, even if he somehow miraculously recovered at this point would almost certainly have significant heart damage from the amount of meth he's taken, and from injecting huge quantities. His mind is also quite likely fried through the use. For lots of Meth patients the Psychosis can linger at best for years after abuse, and in some cases be permanent. So that the person is permanently delusional. Its usually past the point of recovery when you know you've already essentially killed your body and that you're walking on borrowed time.

All that can currently be done to support Murphy is to support the modicum of care that he receives and in a way that he accepts. Joe Murphy doesn't want a room, he wants a pair of socks, clean clothes, new shoes, and a place to crash when it gets too cold. There's millions of people just like him, that don't wish to be changed, but that appreciate the modest offerings that help them in the present, nonetheless.

Regardless, the best that anybody can hope for in any of our lives is that we are remembered for our best times, best contributions, and not our for what were our worst moments. To that end this is the Joe Murphy that was here. That I will never forget and that I loved having here. For a couple of seasons Joe Murphy was the man here and the teams best player. That will never be changed. Remember the guy that had a 35G 82pts in 80GP season here and was always a horse in the playoffs in times where the dynasty had died. Joe Murphy put a smile on my face many times. The kindest gift, jmo, that we can bestow on others.

The best of times, the kidline, led by Murphy;

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This won't end well for Joe Murphy and eerily that's what he said about the NHLPA's attempted help in getting him a room. Like with anything that would occur to him now a delusional thought process took over and he mistook the help to be a sinister plot (even from past team mates) and he became paranoid about it and by his accounts had to leave. This is Crystal Meth demons following Murphy everywhere now and at this point it doesn't matter what intervention there is, Murphy is beaten.

Let the one message in this be, please, that if anybody out there is reading this that experiments, do NOT get into Crystal Meth or opioids. Research stuff you are going to experiment with very carefully and stay well clear of harmful substances. Murphy, even if he somehow miraculously recovered at this point would almost certainly have significant heart damage from the amount of meth he's taken, and from injecting huge quantities. His mind is also quite likely fried through the use. For lots of Meth patients the Psychosis can linger at best for years after abuse, and in some cases be permanent. So that the person is permanently delusional. Its usually past the point of recovery when you know you've already essentially killed your body and that you're walking on borrowed time.

All that can currently be done to support Murphy is to support the modicum of care that he receives and in a way that he accepts. Joe Murphy doesn't want a room, he wants a pair of socks, clean clothes, new shoes, and a place to crash when it gets too cold. There's millions of people just like him, that don't wish to be changed, but that appreciate the modest offerings that help them in the present, nonetheless.

Regardless, the best that anybody can hope for in any of our lives is that we are remembered for our best times, best contributions, and not our for what were our worst moments. To that end this is the Joe Murphy that was here. That I will never forget and that I loved having here. For a couple of seasons Joe Murphy was the man here and the teams best player. That will never be changed. Remember the guy that had a 35G 82pts in 80GP season here and was always a horse in the playoffs in times where the dynasty had died. Joe Murphy put a smile on my face many times. The kindest gift, jmo, that we can bestow on others.

The best of times, the kidline, led by Murphy;

Great post.

One of my favourite Joe Murphy moments was after he was traded. I can’t remember who he was playing for but he had a great game and was named one of the three stars. When he went to do his “three stars twirl” on the ice he squirted Joey Moss with a water bottle. Joey had a big smile on his face. Just a reminder that through all the trouble, there was a good guy in there at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad