Player Discussion Joe Murphy current situation

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In the article they asked about the NHL player pension which he is entitled to. Why would he be homeless with that. Its quite a lot to live on.

Its not too entirely shocking though as Joe Murphy was an exhibit A wildchild and poster boy for being out of control before arriving in Edmonton. Sather was really good at dealing with kids. Probably the best ever at it and which doesn't get noted enough. so that Murphy excelled here and had few problems I know of here.

But looks like the sauce and maybe other things probably got to him again.

He was a hell of a player. For a few years he was one of my favorites here.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In the article they asked about the NHL player pension which he is entitled to. Why would he be homeless with that. Its quite a lot to live on.

Its not too entirely shocking though as Joe Murphy was an exhibit A wildchild and poster boy for being out of control before arriving in Edmonton. Sather was really good at dealing with kids. Probably the best ever at it and which doesn't get noted enough. so that Murphy excelled here and had few problems I know of here.

in theory a player can not get his pension till he is 65 or 55 in case of emergencies

Murphy's pension is under the old system, where the team he played his 400th game for puts in X amount of money that will mature at how ever much the pension was for players when he played.

It changed under the new NHLPA bosses where the pension is better and they get it earlier now

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I honestly don't know what he's getting. I read one article saying 45k, but I thought there use to be different levels based on games played.

However, what is 45k a year if you have mental illness issues?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is that going to be a series for TSN now? Wasn't there a finding Matt Johnson or something not that long ago.

Anyone else having the site look weird all of a sudden?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
in theory a player can not get his pension till he is 65 or 55 in case of emergencies

Murphy's pension is under the old system, where the team he played his 400th game for puts in X amount of money that will mature at how ever much the pension was for players when he played.

It changed under the new NHLPA bosses where the pension is better and they get it earlier now

Thanks, I really don't follow the CBA's very well. I knew the pension had got better due to past player reports, but I never know exactly what, or how much players are getting.

That said its such a tragedy when players make 15M and piss most of it away. This seemingly happening so often it makes me begrudge present day ticket prices even more that pay for this level of excess.

These things are tragic, but sympathy for these situations is a bit harder to come by. Any cognitive or brain injuries due to hockey, yes I'm sympathetic to that aspect. But given that these guys should hire somebody to help them manage their money. The NHL should also acknwowledge the problem more and have some outreach work done with these retired players. Help them manage life after retirement. Its a common problem for pro athletes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thanks, I really don't follow the CBA's very well. I knew the pension had got better due to past player reports, but I never know exactly what, or how much players are getting.

That said its such a tragedy when players make 15M and piss most of it away. This seemingly happening so often it makes me begrudge present day ticket prices even more that pay for this level of excess.

These things are tragic, but sympathy for these situations is a bit harder to come by. Any cognitive or brain injuries due to hockey, yes I'm sympathetic to that aspect. But given that these guys should hire somebody to help them manage their money. The NHL should also acknwowledge the problem more and have some outreach work done with these retired players. Help them manage life after retirement. Its a common problem for pro athletes.
I think Murphy played in an era where this wasn't thought of that much. I'd hope nowadays guys are learning as more and more you hear about ex-stars in any sport that have nothing.

As for the NHL doing something. The PA should really be the one fighting for change. Then again the PA is the one who blocked long-term studies of concussions on it's players.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

You make a value judgement when you imply that they drink or party it all away.

We've seen so many stories though, where the latchers-on (agents, advisors, heck even parents) are the ones exploiting the gravy train.

Too bad that the NHLPA doesn't do more to educate these uber young athletes and even vet financial managers so there would be a trusted list... but that's dream-world thinking and there is a long and sordid history of exploitation there too (remember Eagleson).

No easy answer.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Never met Murphy but I recall reading enough articles about him over the years that made me think he may have always had some sort of issues. Lots of stories over the years suggesting he marched to the beat of a different drummer. I doubt this news comes as much of a surprise to former teammates or coaches.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think Murphy played in an era where this wasn't thought of that much. I'd hope nowadays guys are learning as more and more you hear about ex-stars in any sport that have nothing.

As for the NHL doing something. The PA should really be the one fighting for change. Then again the PA is the one who blocked long-term studies of concussions on it's players.
Yeah, the NHLPA are the ones who should be looking after players, past, present and future. Aside from contracts, they don’t appear to have much interest in the players.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, the NHLPA are the ones who should be looking after players, past, present and future. Aside from contracts, they don’t appear to have much interest in the players.
In all honesty instead of the CHL players trying to go after a wage I'd hope they are trying to set some sort of fund up for their players. To take care of the guys that are going to need help eventually.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Reading through the article (and the comments below it helped, including from Brownlee) reminded me so much of the Will Smith movie Concussion. Really sad if the concussion issues contributed to his own isolation and present financial situation. Those who haven't seen the movie really should... it was a great one.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Reading through the article (and the comments below it helped, including from Brownlee) reminded me so much of the Will Smith movie Concussion. Really sad if the concussion issues contributed to his own isolation and present financial situation. Those who haven't seen the movie really should... it was a great one.
Really makes you think differently. The sad part though is how far behind is the NHL? I understand why they are so far behind, but Mike Webster died in 2002. It wasn't really until 2011 until the NFL finally acknowledged the issues.

That's 7 years ago. NHL is still battling and somewhat winning.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You make a value judgement when you imply that they drink or party it all away.

We've seen so many stories though, where the latchers-on (agents, advisors, heck even parents) are the ones exploiting the gravy train.

Too bad that the NHLPA doesn't do more to educate these uber young athletes and even vet financial managers so there would be a trusted list... but that's dream-world thinking and there is a long and sordid history of exploitation there too (remember Eagleson).

No easy answer.
Joe murphy has had repeated alcohol problems in his life that nearly completetely derailed his career. This led too to behavioral problems and perhaps exacerbated him being difficult to deal with. Can't remember if any drug problems existed for him. This was well established back in the day. hard to find info on it because its well before the internet.

I wasn't trying to tar him. Just extrapolating his past problems and with his ultimate trajectory of being homeless and destitute. So that the first think one would think is that substance abuse continued to be a problem.

I do agree with you however that somebody needs to be watching the foxes. A lot of pro athletes are pretty naïve when it comes to finances. Same for a lot of professional entertainers. If the NHl doesn't want to do something about some post hockey issues then the NHLPA could do more. But current players, unfortunately, have been a little historically recalcitrant about helping past ones.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I've been reporting the concussion effects on players and the sad sagas here for years. The NHL isn't moving much on it because legally Bettman was trying to deny concussion effects on behalf of club teams and the league as once they start, payouts will be regular and huge.

One doesn't have to see a movie, there's countless NHL player tragedies and deaths and spirals related to concussions. I've been following them since Spinner Spencer wound out of control and was ultimately murdered. Everything in his life was pointing to tragedy for decades. The hockey world has largely tried to pretend that the spirals are not very noticeable by everybody. By the time Joe Murphy reached Boston he was out of control again and telling team mates and his coach to f*** off repeatedly. So that 20 years ago Joe was in a spiral again. These players should have available help, hopefully some would use it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've been reporting the concussion effects on players and the sad sagas here for years. The NHL isn't moving much on it because legally Bettman was trying to deny concussion effects on behalf of club teams and the league as once they start, payouts will be regular and huge.

One doesn't have to see a movie, there's countless NHL player tragedies and deaths and spirals related to concussions. I've been following them since Spinner Spencer wound out of control and was ultimately murdered. Everything in his life was pointing to tragedy for decades. The hockey world has largely tried to pretend that the spirals are not very noticeable by everybody. By the time Joe Murphy reached Boston he was out of control again and telling team mates and his coach to **** off repeatedly. So that 20 years ago Joe was in a spiral again. These players should have available help, hopefully some would use it.
I don't think the payouts will be regular. It'll just be a one time major hit.

Although the NHL seems to be winning the court battle right now.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

One doesn't have to see a movie, there's countless NHL player tragedies and deaths and spirals related to concussions. I've been following them since Spinner Spencer wound out of control and was ultimately murdered. Everything in his life was pointing to tragedy for decades. The hockey world has largely tried to pretend that the spirals are not very noticeable by everybody. By the time Joe Murphy reached Boston he was out of control again and telling team mates and his coach to **** off repeatedly. So that 20 years ago Joe was in a spiral again. These players should have available help, hopefully some would use it.

My point is (and the movie did a great job of demonstrating) how head injury and substance abuse can be linked... isolation, paranoia, poor decision making, exploitative behavior by those looking for a buck, etc, etc, etc. From the outside looking in, nobody would have two clues which is chicken and which is egg.

Point is there can be a whole lot going on rather than simply boiling it down to "player pisses away $15M and isn't deserving of my sympathy or ticket revenue". Your conjecture may have more to do with preconceived bias than the actual facts (Murphy's documented tumultuous 20's aside).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I do wonder if the NHL ever gets sued for not enforcing their drug and alcohol policy.

Have to think for the guys that aren't getting anywhere with concussions that they try something else.

After all if guys would've been suspended and sent for proper treatment maybe some of them would have less issues than they do.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Full video: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tsn-original-finding-murph~1466368

Very difficult to watch. I hope the NHL / NHLPA will assist in a meaningful way.

/Apologies for the duplicate thread and thanks mod for merging
Oh man, that is harsh...

I'm not unaware of former NHLers having post-career issues with money and so on, but to see it so clearly like that is really shocking. I grew up watching Murph play, and will always remember him scoring some big goals for Edmonton in 1990, 1991, 1992...

The nice thing is they said in the doc that former NHLers have already contacted TSN and may stage some kind of assistance soon. (Props to TSN, by the way, for a very well-done documentary.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad