Recalled/Assigned: Joe Labate

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I keep shaking a recurring thought from my head because it sounds to tin foil to buy. It's almost like Jim is purposely keeping the Comets on life support so that Green doesn't look good. Therefore, WD is okay to keep around since the hyped heir in Utica ain't so much after all.

Figuratively speaking Jimbo could wrap Green in an anchor with lead-weights attached to his ankles, drop him into Lake Ontario and he'd still rise to the surface faster than Willie. Alternatively it could be the equivalent of the old Timex watch torture test. No matter what I throw at Green and the Comets, he still finds a way to win...so he's probably the guy.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If he plays with the energy he played in preseason he'll be fine.

Based on his play in preseason he should've been on the team to begin with.

In preseason he looked to be an upgrade on Dorsett in pretty much every way.my concern is that I don't know if he can sustain a good level of play. He seems like a player that needs to be the hardest working player out there to be effective.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
In preseason he looked to be an upgrade on Dorsett in pretty much every way.my concern is that I don't know if he can sustain a good level of play. He seems like a player that needs to be the hardest working player out there to be effective.

Which is why I think he deserved to make the team.

He was playing hard and as soon as he stops playing hard send him down.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Really happy to see a homegrown player getting called up... (Homegrown as in a player drafted by the Canucks & patiently developed through our system).

Labate could play C and LW (LW I assume because he has a LHS). I liked his tenacity and his willingness to go to the net.. I think he could easily replace Dorsett down the road.

Labate's floor is like... Adam Cracknell?... his ceiling is .. ? (Thinking out loud)...

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Really happy to see a homegrown player getting called up... (Homegrown as in a player drafted by the Canucks & patiently developed through our system).

Labate could play C and LW (LW I assume because he has a LHS). I liked his tenacity and his willingness to go to the net.. I think he could easily replace Dorsett down the road.

Labate's floor is like... Adam Cracknell?... his ceiling is .. ? (Thinking out loud)...

I think labate has a good chance of becoming a 50/50 nhler ahl tweener

If I really had to put a best case scenario on labate it would probably be Ferland.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If he plays with the energy he played in preseason he'll be fine.

Based on his play in preseason he should've been on the team to begin with.

This is actually true. I noticed that and commented on it in the preseason that he should of been on the starting lineup. Maybe now will see if he can push Dorset to the curb once and for all

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
This is actually true. I noticed that and commented on it in the preseason that he should of been on the starting lineup. Maybe now will see if he can push Dorset to the curb once and for all

Not impossible as he is a better hitter. He is willing to take a beating as well. Nice to have the other team react to hits instead of us. Want to see him in Toronto game as well.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I would cheer my ass off if Labate played vs TO and KO'd (figuratively) one of their stars

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I would cheer my ass off if Labate played vs TO and KO'd one of their stars

Well hopefully not that but if he played tough and got some good clean hits and popped in a couple a goals id be happier

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

He can play the RW as well.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Figuratively speaking Jimbo could wrap Green in an anchor with lead-weights attached to his ankles, drop him into Lake Ontario and he'd still rise to the surface faster than Willie. Alternatively it could be the equivalent of the old Timex watch torture test. No matter what I throw at Green and the Comets, he still finds a way to win...so he's probably the guy.

He has said he doesn't want to take over the job mid-season. He wants to start his NHL career with HIS team from day 1. I certainly see his point of view.

Maybe knowing this Benning has no problem holding onto WD and if forced can appoint Jarvis as the interim. Am I giving Jim too much credit? Yeah, I think I might be.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thing that impressed with Labate in pre-season is that he does play with a 'mean streak'...with Dorsett out of the lineup for an extended period, it's an ingredient the Canucks are missing....as long as he can keep up, he'll be a decent fourth-liner imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad