Recalled/Assigned: Joe Labate

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Labate's agent reporting that he's been recalled from Utica....is Dorsett gone for awhile?....had a decent training camp....could be effective as a fourth-liner.

Last edited by a moderator:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
It is mind numbing they refuse to claim anyone. They have one of the worst AHL teams and NHL teams and plenty of room to add a couple of contracts. But no.

Labate had a good camp and seems like he's been playing okay but he's nowhere near the level of recently waived Griffiths and Pumpels.

Most likely it's just Benning looking at the whiteboard and saying "well these guys are skill guys but we don't have a skill guy injured so I'm just going to recall our own grit guy for the 4th line to replace a grit guy".

Or maybe he can't again differentiate things? Similar to when he didn't want to send Virtanen down because fans would get mad at him like they got with Stecher being sent down, he now thinks getting this sort of depth is bad because he has been getting heat for Etems, Veys and Granlunds. Possibly?

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
It is mind numbing they refuse to claim anyone. They have one of the worst AHL teams and NHL teams and plenty of room to add a couple of contracts. But no.

Labate had a good camp and seems like he's been playing okay but he's nowhere near the level of recently waived Griffiths and Pumpels.

Most likely it's just Benning looking at the whiteboard and saying "well these guys are skill guys but we don't have a skill guy injured so I'm just going to recall our own grit guy for the 4th line to replace a grit guy".

Or maybe he can't again differentiate things? Similar to when he didn't want to send Virtanen down because fans would get mad at him like they got with Stecher being sent down, he now thinks getting this sort of depth is bad because he has been getting heat for Etems, Veys and Granlunds. Possibly?

Maybe he is just an imbecile?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Yeah man, like I noted earlier, it seems that most of the players who are either signed cheap or claimed are doing quite well.

Not really sure what Benning wants - I thought considering waiver/cheap players is part of his win-now equation.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Had a good preseason. Deserves the shot esp over Dorset so i see this as good news :)

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Can't we sign some vet players from somewhere out in Europe? Our AHL team has hit a new rock bottom.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Meh, I like that he at least has size for the energy guy role and likes to throw his weight around but he's a fringe nhl talent at best.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Meh, I like that he at least has size for the energy guy role and likes to throw his weight around but he's a fringe nhl talent at best.

And as soon as someone comes back he's gone again. He definitely won't replace Dorsett when he's healthy.

Would someone please list exactly who is hurt in vancouver?

I know of:
Tanev - Injured, but not IR?
Larsen - IR

Rodin - IR, but not listed on the roster
Dorsett -IR
Hansen - IR
Megna? If still out LaBate's addition gives the Canucks 13 forwards. If he is healthy and Tanev is out, then he makes 14 forwards to go with 7 D. Legal number.

Is this the correct situation?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Maybe he is just an imbecile?

I keep shaking a recurring thought from my head because it sounds to tin foil to buy. It's almost like Jim is purposely keeping the Comets on life support so that Green doesn't look good. Therefore, WD is okay to keep around since the hyped heir in Utica ain't so much after all.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I keep shaking a recurring thought from my head because it sounds to tin foil to buy. It's almost like Jim is purposely keeping the Comets on life support so that Green doesn't look good. Therefore, WD is okay to keep around since the hyped heir in Utica ain't so much after all.

Sounds reasonable to me. But then again I'm convinced Benning is a Bruins agent sent to Vancouver with the sole purpose of further ruining Canucks fans' lives.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
And as soon as someone comes back he's gone again. He definitely won't replace Dorsett when he's healthy.

I know of:
Larsen - IR

Dorsett -IR
Hansen - IR
Megna? If still out LaBate's addition gives the Canucks 13 forwards. If he is healthy and Tanev is out, then he makes 14 forwards to go with 7 D. Legal number.

I believe you're correct.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not unhappy to see LaBate up here at all, don't get me wrong...but we still have 12 healthy forwards even with our injury situation. Not sure why we do this now? Hurts Utica more than anything.

Although I do hope LaBate sticks around until December 3rd...

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

Thank you for writing this, this has been my conspiracy theory so far this year. Could you image the bad press they would be getting if Green continued his great winning resume while WD flounders in the nhl. The owners and linden probably dont want to have even more coaches on the payroll either but they made their bed already by meddling too much in hires already

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver

I know of:
Larsen - IR

Dorsett -IR
Hansen - IR

Not quite

IR:
Rodin
Dorsett
Hansen
Tanev

Larsen and Megna are healthy.
With the recall of Labate, 13F and 8D (Biega & Larsen as healthy scratches).

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Whatever number he wears, I'm calling him 50.

brands_logo_50.jpg

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Altruist Jim Benning is just looking to make Gillis' draft record look better by getting one of his picks more NHL games. :sarcasm: What a nice guy!!

What's December 3rd?

Leafs @ Orcas

Thank you for writing this, this has been my conspiracy theory so far this year. Could you image the bad press they would be getting if Green continued his great winning resume while WD flounders in the nhl. The owners and linden probably dont want to have even more coaches on the payroll either but they made their bed already by meddling too much in hires already

That sounds terrifyingly plausible.

If this is true, it will be, in my eyes, a sign of Benning and Linden spiraling into the pit of utter insanity, driven by sheer panic and sense of self preservation at ALL costs - if this means to cripple not only the Orcas but also our farm team, then so be it.

Burn everything to the ground then salt the soil ensuring nothing will ever grow. Nicely done.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

I know of:
Larsen - IR

Dorsett -IR
Hansen - IR

BG, this is a great website to keep track of who is on the roster and who is on IR. Not counting the players on IR the Canucks are still at 13 forwards, 8 defensemen and 2 goalies.
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->