GDT: Joe Corvo @ Philadelphia 2/2/2013

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
BREAKING NEWS:
Joe Corvo will be a healthy extra so I'm assuming the Hurricanes have forfeited the match.

What?

Joe Corvo appreciation night!

Who?

Joseph Corvo (born June 20, 1977 in Oak Park, IL)
In one of Corvo's first major ice hockey appearances, he participated in the 1997 World Junior Championships in Switzerland. Despite placing second to Canada in the medal round, he was named the top defenseman of the tournament. He then played for three seasons at Western Michigan University, from 1995 to 1998, where he was a teammate of future NHL player Jamal Mayers.

He was drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the 4th round of the 1997 NHL entry draft. On July 1, 2006, Corvo signed as a four-year, unrestricted free agent contract with the Ottawa Senators worth $10.5 million. On October 26, 2006, he broke a Senators record for points for a defenseman in a game with one goal and four assists against the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was named the game's first star. On February 11, 2008, the Senators traded Corvo along with Patrick Eaves to the Carolina Hurricanes for Mike Commodore and Cory Stillman.
On March 16, 2008, Corvo scored a hat-trick against the Senators in his first game against his ex-team since the trade. He became only the third defenseman in Hartford Whalers-Carolina Hurricanes franchise history to record a hat-trick.
On March 3, 2010, Corvo was traded to Washington at the deadline for Brian Pothier, Oskar Osala, and a second round draft pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. He made his Capitals debut against the Tampa Bay Lightning the following day on March 4, and finished the season with 2 goals for 6 points in 18 games with the Capitals before suffering a first round elimination in the playoffs to the Montreal Canadiens.
On July 7, 2010, as a free agent, Corvo signed a two-year contract to return to the Carolina Hurricanes worth 2.75 million a year.
Corvo was traded to the Boston Bruins on July 5, 2011, for a fourth round pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
On July 1st 2012, Corvo signed a one-year 2 million dollar deal with the Carolina Hurricanes, which includes a no-movement clause.

Joe and his wife, Angela, have two sons, Cameron, 7, and Maddux, 6. They spend their summers in Raleigh. They have a miniature pincher named Lucky and a black maltipoo Lulu. Joe is involved with the APC 24-Hour Bike Challenge. He was a Blackhawks fan as a kid and grew up emulating Chris Chelios. His first youth team was the Oak Park Eagles. Joe was an outstanding baseball player and attended pro camps with the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field and the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park. His favorite vacation spot is Cabo, favorite television show is Breaking Bad and favorite book is The Hunger Games. The most-played artist on his iPod is O.A.R. His favorite food is pizza. His most memorable goal was a double-overtime tally against Buffalo in Game 2 of the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals. His favorite aspects about playing professional hockey are “the hotels and mealsâ€. The place he most visits in the Triangle is The Factory. His favorite road city is Chicago.

Philadelphia Flyers, one of the 25 teams in the league that have not employed Joe Corvo, had been forced make some changes over the long offseason and find themselves now at the bottom of the Eastern Conference. During the summer they saw the departure of the Czech star Jaromir Jagr who went to join Ray Whitney in the retirement community known as the Dallas Stars. They also decided to move on and elect Claude Giroux as the new team captain to invigorate the tradition of the Broad Street Bullies.

(Captain Giroux is seen here giving a hard time to an opposing player)
lol2nm.gif

When?

02/02/2013, 7:00 PM

Where?

Wells Fargo Center
Philadelphia, PA The city famous for not being the birthplace of Joe Corvo

Why?

Well someone's gotta help the Flyers get some points on the table.

Starting lineups:

:canes

Lineups will be updated if needed

carolinacorvos01.gif
carolinacorvos02.gif

carolinacorvos03.gif
carolinacorvos04.gif

carolinacorvos05.gif
carolinacorvos06.gif

carolinacorvos07.gif
carolinacorvos08.gif

:flyers

Updated lineups will be stolen from their GDT like the puck from Joe Corvos stick

Danny Briere ▬ Claude Giroux ▬ Tye McGinn

Matt Read ▬ Sean Couturier ▬ Mike Knuble

Ruslan Fedotenko ▬ Brayden Schenn ▬ Jakub Voracek

Tom Sestito ▬ Max Talbot ▬ Zac Rinaldo

Kimmo Timonen ▬ Luke Schenn
Not Corvo..............Not Corvo
Braydon Coburn ▬ Bruno Gervais
Nicklas Grossmann ▬ Kurtis Foster

The Universe

Michael Leighton

Injuries and scratches:

Carolina:
Tuomo Ruutu - Hip
Bobby Sanguinetti - Healthy
Kevin Westgarth - Healthy, but his difference making will still be missed
Zach Boychuk - Someone left the press box door open and he ran away to Pittsburgh

Philadelphia:
Marc-Andre Bourdon - Concussion
Scott Hartnell - Broken foot
Andreas Lilja - Healthy
Andrej Meszaros - Shoulder
Chris Pronger - Post-concussion syndrome
Jody Shelley - Healthy
Wayne Simmonds - Head
Will Smith - Got in one little fight and had to move to Bel-Air

Notes

-Both teams are playing the second part of back to back games: Carolina won against the Senators, Flyers lost against the Capitals.

-As the Flyers have won only two games out of 8 this season the fans of the team are starting to lose faith in coach Laviolette, which is something the Hurricanes are very familiar with.

Pre-Game quotes

Liz Milner (aka. McBains wifey):
"Forget the superbowl, I'm excited for the puppybowl on sunday!!! Puppies & kitties > men jumping on each other in tights"

Last edited:

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Will Smith - Got in one little fight and had to move to Bel-Air

What you did there...I see it.

Also, I love how Justin Corvo's eyes and eyebrows look bat**** crazy. Oh, and Jeff Corvo is clearly trying to out-dreamy Char Corvo. Look at that nose on Andreas Corvo.

...Jay Corvo looks like a reasonable human being. They must be related, so we must now kill Jay as well.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I just beat the Flyer 5-1 in NHL 13 with a backup goaltender (granted my franchise is in 2015 right now, so my backup is Mahalak).

Goals were:

Canes: Tangradi, Filppula, Dalpe, EStaal, Skinner

Flyers: Giroux

So my prediction will be 5-1 Canes:

Canes goals: Larose, EStaal (2), Semin, Jokinen

Flyers: Giroux

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just went to look at that twitter account (McBains GF or "wifey" jeez talk about going back 10 years), she's uhh, interesting to say the least. Apparently she used to be a member of the Storm Squad.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Couple of those guys look a lot like themselves after going through the Corvo transformation:
8470283.jpg
=>
brentcorvo.png

Brent just basically grew a beard.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Oenatzu:

GDT is full of win, chief. Nicely done, would read again. The Corvo-ization of the team was good stuff.

Edit:

One look at the Flyers board and I'm feeling terrible, as though I'm ready to plunge out of an open window.

A sample taste from the "Do you fire Laviolette?" thread:

Terry Murray is the last thing we need. We need someone that has never been a Flyer. "Flyers hockey" is a failure. Need to clean house in management and start fresh with all people from outside the organization.

Last edited:

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
The first page of the Flyers GDT is gold. Somebody is regretting spending $150 on a ticket to this game, saying he'd take a **** on center ice if there's a lack of effort and a Leighton appearance.

The response to that is this:
Well, at least I'll know what the hells going on when fans begin pooping on the ice.

And immediately following that is this:
A *hat trick?

:laugh:

LadyCane

Mar 4, 2012
da UP
I scrolled down, saw the Corvoed roster, and was genuinely terrified.

THAT MOHAWK, WHY HASN'T SOMEONE HELD HIM DOWN AND SHAVED IT OFF YET.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I honestly actually feel bad for Flyers fans right now. Because 1 - we've been here a few times before in recent years (09-10, and start of 11-12) but they're in the exact same situation as us those years and 2 - too much talent to actually finish THAT low in the standings, and therefore will lose out on a high pick that would expedite improving.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad