Signing(s): Joe Burrow signs extension with the Bengals (5 years, $275 million)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Franchise, well worth it.
See the structure of the contract. With the nfl rules about putting the guaranteed money into escrow how much of that is fully guaranteed upon signing and how much vests as each new league year begins.

Jones, Kroenke, etc can cut that cheque no problem. Can the Brown family?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
See the structure of the contract. With the nfl rules about putting the guaranteed money into escrow how much of that is fully guaranteed upon signing and how much vests as each new league year begins.

Jones, Kroenke, etc can cut that cheque no problem. Can the Brown family?
If you’re an NFL owner, you can cut any check you want unless you’re either cheap or stupid.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He isn’t wrong. NFL individual QB cap hits are going to pass entire NHL team cap hits in the near future.

The Brown family isn’t that cash rich, but they can also easily borrow that much.
Some may say they’re both, so

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And now to enjoy a few years of catch up with the Bengals while they've got that and the Steelers have a rookie QB contract.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
The way Burrow has reinvigorated the franchise has been putting a lot more money in the pockets of the team owners no? Tickets, merch, etc... so doesn't the contract kind of pay for itself?

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
He isn’t wrong. NFL individual QB cap hits are going to pass entire NHL team cap hits in the near future.

The Brown family isn’t that cash rich, but they can also easily borrow that much.
As it looks right now, Burrows’ annual payday exceeds the entire CFL payroll…that’s nine teams!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As it looks right now, Burrows’ annual payday exceeds the entire CFL payroll…that’s nine teams!
Cfl payroll cap is $5.45 mill CAD. 9 teams it’s under $50 mill CAD so in USD it’s like $37.5 mill give or take. More than a few QBs get that on an average annual value.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m surprised by this.

I thought he’d leave more room to keep the band together.
But certainly deserves it

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m surprised by this.

I thought he’d leave more room to keep the band together.
But certainly deserves it
He will when it’s time to restructure. The cap never goes down.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That is a BIG CHECK they had to write to the league office.

$219 million right then and there to held in escrow

probably why the deal took so long to announce, had to get all those funds together.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Could be.
Only year 2 for Watson and he restructured his contract. By the end of this season, Browns would have paid him $90 mill and only incurred a total of $30 mill in cap charges over the first 2 seasons.

But, when talking the top players, it's mostly converting base salary into a bonus and pushing the cap hit down the line, vs potentially releasing a player should he not accept a pay cut to what he would likely fetch on the open market.

So, expect Cincy and Burrow to work together to move things around, but he's still getting his money. Just pushing the charges down the line.

When you get to a transition year or you have a new management group, that's when you take your bath of big dead cap. TB this season is taking it hard with $76 mill in dead money, with almost half of it $35 mill due to Tom Brady. AZ, with a new regime is eating it big for ($47 mill for the team and $21 mill of that due to Hopkins) and likely preparing to eat whatever they would need on Murray should they be bad this season and decide to move off him (likely via trade) for next season.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
He brought this team back to relevance.

The Bengals. The Bengals are relevant and not the league's unplanned pregnancy. We may not ever win a Super Bowl with him but every year he's healthy they'll be relevant for a while.

He deserves everything he's earned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad