Joe Bowen (Leafs Radio Broadcaster) Becomes Irate About How Quiet Leafs Fans Are With A Few Minutes Left Of G3

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Problem might be better in the playoffs, but doesn't change the fact that any team driving distance to Toronto needs to worry about their stadium being taken over.

Has nothing to do with driving distance.

Plenty of Leaf fans in Ottawa already, whether for work, or because their family fandom pre-dated the return of the Senators to the league.

I personally know a lot of Leaf fans who live here and shell out for the 2 games they play here per year. Often I'll bring one to the game with my own ticket package so someone goes home happy.

In any event, it is better in the playoffs as was obvious from those two clips.

Reactions: Bileur

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Those ppl in the lower sections are the loyal season ticket holders. The ppl who shell out big bucks each year, ppl who go to 30 plus games a year

I dont have season tickets so Im not stumping for myself here but those lower bowl ppl make a huge commitment to the team vs the fanatic on their couch

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Those ppl in the lower sections are the loyal season ticket holders. The ppl who shell out big bucks each year, ppl who go to 30 plus games a year

I dont have season tickets so Im not stumping for myself here but those lower bowl ppl make a huge commitment to the team vs the fanatic on their couch

With Ottawa's long-standing ownership issues and lack of competitiveness, more recently I find that that's where fans of the opposing teams tend to sit because the tickets are much more expensive and therefore available and affordable on more of an individual game basis.

Often you'll see them more prominently on TV because of the camera angles.

The 300s is where you will see the die-hard fans. I tend to sit in the 200s because it's the best combination of the tactical view while still getting a feel for the speed of the game.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
As a very strong anti-Leafs everything type person living in Toronto, I would generally only ever go to a Leafs game if the Canes were playing or buddies wanted to go and had tickets but now I won't even do that. You can get reg season tickets in the 300s that aren't tooooo crazy price wise but everything else is absurdly expensive and honestly, yes, the atmosphere does such at Scotia Bank Arena. For the average person I can absolutely see it not being worth the hassle and price. Even if it was a great game I think it would be hard to walk out of there feeling like you got close to your money's worth or had a great overall experience.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
With Ottawa's long-standing ownership issues and lack of competitiveness, more recently I find that that's where fans of the opposing teams tend to sit because the tickets are much more expensive and therefore available and affordable on more of an individual game basis.

The 300s is where you will see the die-hard fans. I tend to sit in the 200s because it's the best combination of the tactical view and while still getting a feel for the speed of the game.
I only go to Caps game when medical groups gift me tickets .. and they are premium seats

Sometimes I go in a suit bc its after work .. wait a minute, f*** me Im one of the stuffy corporate people ..

welp running late to a seminar at top golf ..

tumblr_lyu311ByNO1r6vj6fo1_500[1].gif

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Don't really have an issue with him calling out the atmosphere or lack thereof but given he's been the radio play by play guy since forever you'd think he'd know it's largely in part due to the suits that consume a large chunk of the seats.

Reactions: dukeofjive

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I only go to Caps game when medical groups gift me tickets .. and they are premium seats

Sometimes I go in a suit bc its after work .. wait a minute, f*** me Im one of the stuffy corporate people ..

welp running late to a seminar at top golf ..

It's hard to gift tickets in Ottawa because so many people are employed by the government who are not allowed to buy tickets (as a corporate entity) or receive them as gifts from corporate entities.

It's a bit of a problem for the season ticket base even if it means that you tend to get a higher proportion of actual hockey fans in the stands.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The 300s is where you will see the die-hard fans. I tend to sit in the 200s because it's the best combination of the tactical view and while still getting a feel for the speed of the game.

Similar in Buffalo where the season ticket holders will sell to Leaf fans in the lower bowl to recoup some of their outlay. The club and "cheap" seats are usually not that heavily invaded since the season folks in those retain theirs or are there as one-game purchasers to see the mayhem since there is so often that even a terrible Sabres team will walk the Leafs out with a loss more often than not.

Reactions: BB79 and NyQuil

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's always this conversation about crowd noise, and I'm not saying some of the points aren't valid, but at the end of the day, the biggest driver of crowd noise is the game.

This is not a game situation where I would expect people to come unglued.

Reactions: Neil Racki

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Worst barn in Canada. Home town players need a boost in the playoffs and they aren’t getting it. Crowds can really tilt game. Can’t just blame the core 4 for failing to show up every year when the fans don’t.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I went to a Leafs Panthers game a few years back, and it was the most exciting game I’d ever seen. A lot of the arena was empty, but it was just post-Covid. Vacationing Leafs fans bought up most of the rows 1-10 because they could, and they were crazy rowdy. Leafs went up 5-1 and Panthers stormed back to win 7-6 in OT. During the game the Leafs fans made the Panthers fans madder and madder. I thought there was going to be a riot/rumble by the end of the game. That’s what happens when you get real fans into a building.

This year most of the Leafs fans I know at work aren’t as excited. It’s like they’ve been down this road too many times and totally expect to lose to Boston. Usually there’s cheering when the Leafs score, but not this year. Feels like a “beaten down dog” type of situation.

Reactions: torontoblood

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Only Leafs fans can be simultaneously the most annoying fans in the universe and also the quietest.

I have no idea exactly what it is we do, but whatever it is, we're damn good at it.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
As long as the team charges prices that forces a lot of fans out of the lower bowl you're going to hear this complaint.

I'd love for my diehard Leafs fans to get a chance at a regular season game, let alone a playoff game. What was it, $1000+ / ticket down below?

Love Joe, but don't call out the fans for not stepping up.

They charge what people are willing to pay for, lowering the prices wont change anything. Toronto needs another team

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Worst barn in Canada. Home town players need a boost in the playoffs and they aren’t getting it. Crowds can really tilt game. Can’t just blame the core 4 for failing to show up every year when the fans don’t.

Ottawa is way worse. I've seen multiple games at every arena in Canada, lived in Ottawa, and it's not even close. Ottawa is the worst hockey town that has a team.

• Haha
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
"It's Dubas's fault for not building the right team"
"It's Keefe's fault for playing the right combination"
"It's Tre's fault for not building the right team"
"It's the fans fault for not being loud enough"

Man I swear there's an element they are missing, but I just can't put my finger on it

Seeing As how annoying the fans are on this forum I’m sure that place would be loud if they could afford to go LOL
Most of us aren't billionaires (yet).

Sep 19, 2008
he shouldn't be surprised

the Littles got priced out long ago. these days people would rather sip wine and cheer softly

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ottawa is way worse. I've seen multiple games at every arena in Canada, lived in Ottawa, and it's not even close. Ottawa is the worst hockey town that has a team.
During the regular season in years past sure. More recently the atmosphere has picked up with an abundance of the younger crowd being able to purchase tickets now.

Ottawa has always had an incredible atmosphere in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad