Joe Bowen (Leafs Radio Broadcaster) Becomes Irate About How Quiet Leafs Fans Are With A Few Minutes Left Of G3

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Leafs fund those teams and more. I'd also bet Saturday nights' game will have higher ratings than the Finals rematch between FLA and VGS.

I asked my 71 year old father if he wanted to go to a Leafs game (he's a huge fan and loves the Leafs, watching them and the Jays every day) and when he saw the ticket prices he said, 'naw, go to Hawaii instead with that kind of money.'

You can actually do a roundtrip flight to Hawaii for two from Thursday - Tuesday cheaper than the cheapest pair of lower bowl tickets for Saturday night.

Now take the money you'll spend on dinner and drinks and put that towards the AirBnb lol.

OR for one game, take the fans in the lower bowl and put them out in Maple Leaf Square and then tell the Maple Leaf square crowd to populate the lower bowl. Chaos would ensue.
Screenshot 2024-04-25 005203.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-25 005112.jpg

This is the price difference between the next playoff game in Sunrise Fla, and Toronto.

I specifically looked for seats comparable, row 22-25 behind the penalty box...

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Expensive ass tickets means only rich people can go. This is not news.

We'd have the loudest building in the league by far if you let the hooligans in Oshawa, Bowmanville, Whitby, etc in.

Not to mention letting the crowd outside the building in. Let the young people in from Leafs Square. Most expensive tickets int he league, hooligan fans cant f***ing afford it. Its a ticket or rent.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Expensive ass tickets means only rich people can go. This is not news.

We'd have the loudest building in the league by far if you let the hooligans in Oshawa, Bowmanville, Whitby, etc in.

Not to mention letting the crowd outside the building in. Let the young people in from Leafs Square. Most expensive tickets int he league, hooligan fans cant f***ing afford it. Its a ticket or rent.

Exactly what I said. As a Shwa boy born and raised I can say the opposing fans would dread coming to Toronto under your scenario.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I mean, the Leafs organization has seemingly taken a pretty clear stance that they want to milk every single extra penny from ticket sales. It will lead to this.

The premier league is the top soccer league in the world, yet the atmosphere in just about every stadium is horrendous compared to a lot of other leagues because they've taken the same stance.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
As long as the team charges prices that forces a lot of fans out of the lower bowl you're going to hear this complaint.

I'd love for my diehard Leafs fans to get a chance at a regular season game, let alone a playoff game. What was it, $1000+ / ticket down below?

Love Joe, but don't call out the fans for not stepping up.
Sorry but he’s right.

Look at the platinums at the starts of the 2nd and 3rd periods.

So many empty seats until the first whistle. Those fans should be ashamed of themselves

Attachments

• IMG_4074.jpeg
    IMG_4074.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4073.jpeg
    IMG_4073.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
This Sens fan sure consumes a lot of Toronto media sheesh.

Shouldnt this talk just go into this thread?

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
This isn’t new. A large number of the lower bowl STH are corporate, and have owned the tickets for generations. Some of them since the MLG days. A lot of the prime lower bowl seats are a corporate schmoozefest. The last time I checked, there was a 20 year wait for season tickets, and a 99% renewal rate, or something like that. If you get seasons in Toronto, you don’t let them go. It’s a golden ticket.

Check out Game 4 resale prices on Ticketmaster. Right now, cheapest ticket is $439. Obstructed view is $452.

Demand will always trump supply in Toronto. When they built the ACC, it should have been designed it Bell Centre size, at least.

Reactions: torontoblood

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
They was a pretty loud “Sway-man” chant when they went up 1-0 last night.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That building can get, and has been, plenty loud, high ticket prices notwithstanding.

I think the much bigger issue is that Leafs fans have seen this story before, and are increasingly beaten down by all the playoff disappointment. It doesn't take a lot to sap them of their belief.

This isn't about what's happened in one series but about the cumulative effects of consistent losing in the playoffs with this generation of players, a group that puts up gaudy regular season numbers but doesn't quite pick up the pace in the Spring. So they are waiting for the team to drop the ball. They go quiet when they think it's happening again.

Reactions: torontoblood

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
This Sens fan sure consumes a lot of Toronto media sheesh.

Shouldnt this talk just go into this thread?

To be fair, he would know all about a quiet arena, especially come playoff time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Just Rude

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Toronto will never be the loudest barn. Usually Toronto is at its loudest in other people's houses, for example when the Sens have to try to regionally restrict ticket sales type deal haha

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Usually Toronto is at its loudest in other people's houses, for example when the Sens have to try to regionally restrict ticket sales type deal haha

Never as much of a problem in the post-season where the playoff tickets would go on sale before the opponent was finalized.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
They should gift the whole arena for a playoff series or 2.

It would drag the NHL's Hockey Related Revenue down so much Phoenix/Arizona/Utah/whatever their name is now fold due to lack of funding by Toronto.

I wonder how many playoff Leafs home games would generate the same revenue that Mullet Arena generated this past year, or whatever the arena in Sunrise is called, or a few others in the league.

I'd put the over/under at 2.5 home games in the playoffs generating as much revenue as 41 home games for Arizona and/or Florida this past year.

Ah, so the thread is somehow about revenue instead of how quiet whatever the Leafs' arena is called. Thanks for the clarification.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
If you're going to call yourself a fan, the least you could do is show some support for your team at the game. Lol at anybody trying to say Bowen is wrong for calling out that joke of a home crowd.

Meanwhile in Dallas the whole crowd was on its feet with like 5 minutes left in the 2nd just because.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Ah, so the thread is somehow about revenue instead of how quiet whatever the Leafs' arena is called. Thanks for the clarification.

How many rambunctious college aged kids have a few thousand just lying around to burn?

How many corporate CEO types go out full David Puddy?

If you can figure out the inverse correlation between ticket prices and atmosphere in an arena, then I don't know what to do to help you.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Never as much of a problem in the post-season where the playoff tickets would go on sale before the opponent was finalized.

Same game. When Toronto scores the first goal it's pretty loud.

Problem might be better in the playoffs, but doesn't change the fact that any team driving distance to Toronto needs to worry about their stadium being taken over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad