GDT: jockets @ cops, 5:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
A win is a win.

I'm really hoping Lavi sees we had something going with the old lines and we don't need to completely destroy them moving forward. The division and conference is too loaded this year to waste 15 games getting them comfortable again with new combos.
I mean you gotta give those guys a chance to work back in. Getting two points while doing it is great. but yeah, gotta figure out some lines that work.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Imagine Isles - CBJ series =)
1673225126513.gif

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I mean you gotta give those guys a chance to work back in. Getting two points while doing it is great. but yeah, gotta figure out some lines that work.

I'd do what was said earlier. Strome was getting it done at center. I don't see the virtue in moving him to wing, natural C playing 2W, two pass-first centers on the same line with one 25-ish goal finisher. If we need Eller so bad for whatever reason, put him at 4LW, let Nick play 3C and our wings play wing. I like Mojo with Hathaway and Dowd, but I wouldn't force 3 new lines AND have one of our top players this year playing out of position.

Eller to 4W, top 2 lines similar to what they have been, then Nicky with whichever 2 wings end up on the 3rd. Wouldn't be crazy to try a game or two with Eller scratched and no one playing out of position...

Reactions: twabby and Langway

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I thought Alexyev was reasonably good tonight. Made some nice plays but definitely needs to develop his confidence a bit. You can tell he is still a bit tentative on some things, particularly with the puck. When he gets that going, he’ll be fine. Really hope Lavi gives him a few games in A row.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I would like to see this in third:

OV-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Kuzy-Wilson
Mojo-Backstrom-Oshie
Eller-Dowd-Hathaway
where is mantha there though? I think the reasonable option is 3RW because oshie will get injured soon probably... but it's surely looking like we can trade mantha and not miss much

I will list what I'd want mote

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Johansson-Backstrom-Brown
Malenstyn-Dowd-Hathaway

unfortunately I doubt all of Oshie, Eller and Mantha for playoffs

luckily Oshie could be effective partially and is available as so

Mantha is not looking like an upgrade over all three RWs there

Eller is not himself anymore

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
where is mantha there though? I think the reasonable option is 3RW because oshie will get injured soon probably... but it's surely looking like we can trade mantha and not miss much

I will list what I'd want mote

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary
Milano-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Johansson-Backstrom-Brown
Malenstyn-Dowd-Hathaway

unfortunately I doubt all of Oshie, Eller and Mantha for playoffs

luckily Oshie could be effective partially and is available as so

Mantha is not looking like an upgrade over all three RWs there

Eller is not himself anymore
Haha. I meant third period. Brown and Malenstyn aren’t even on the roster so that would be kinda hard. Guessing you are talking about next year.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Backstrom should be 3C, OV-Strome-Sheary should be back together and the rest I don't care.

There are 11-12 playoff-caliber teams in the conference as of today, if we'd played a good team we get blown out tonight. We don't have the cushion to waste 5-10+ games rearranging a lineup that just went 12-1-2 and was blowing teams out every other night.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I expected rust with Backstrom and Wilson, but there were far better ways to reintroduce them into the lineup IMO.

Putting Backstrom on the first line after a major surgery and 42 games on the shelf seemed way too optimistic. He only played 14 minutes so it’s not like he was overly taxed, but it was somewhat predictable to see the top line struggle.

And moving Strome to wing instead of Eller was the big fear I had and it came true. Strome has been their best center this year, and has thrived in that position over the past few years. Why move him to a position he’s not as effective at? It seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of the talent on the roster. And it wouldn’t be the first time he’s made misjudgments on a Capitals player (Jensen, Schultz, Mantha, and Fehervary all come to mind at various points in their Capitals careers).

It’s worrisome. Laviolette seems to have a handle on many things but certain lineup choices he makes are curious at best. He’s never gotten a handle on how to approach 3v3 lineup decisions, for example.

I fear he may not figure out how to construct his lineup now that they have a surplus of healthy forwards. The 4 centers have to be Strome, Kuznetsov, Backstrom (if he remains healthy), and Dowd. They cannot keep prioritizing Eller’s position in the lineup over his more effective teammates.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Considering they didn't practice yesterday kinda not surprised their organization was off bringing in two top 6 players. As far as the Strome/Eller center debate Strome is probably a better winger than Eller at this point but naturally would prefer Strom as a Center.

Sheary wasn't working as a winger to AO/Backstrom. Rather some speed on that RW side hopefully Wilson next game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I expected rust with Backstrom and Wilson, but there were far better ways to reintroduce them into the lineup IMO.

Putting Backstrom on the first line after a major surgery and 42 games on the shelf seemed way too optimistic. He only played 14 minutes so it’s not like he was overly taxed, but it was somewhat predictable to see the top line struggle.

And moving Strome to wing instead of Eller was the big fear I had and it came true. Strome has been their best center this year, and has thrived in that position over the past few years. Why move him to a position he’s not as effective at? It seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of the talent on the roster. And it wouldn’t be the first time he’s made misjudgments on a Capitals player (Jensen, Schultz, Mantha, and Fehervary all come to mind at various points in their Capitals careers).

It’s worrisome. Laviolette seems to have a handle on many things but certain lineup choices he makes are curious at best. He’s never gotten a handle on how to approach 3v3 lineup decisions, for example.

I fear he may not figure out how to construct his lineup now that they have a surplus of healthy forwards. The 4 centers have to be Strome, Kuznetsov, Backstrom (if he remains healthy), and Dowd. They cannot keep prioritizing Eller’s position in the lineup over his more effective teammates.
It’s one game…..maybe chill….there’s no exact way….we’re going to see many combos while they figure out their best lineup. Buckle up for more of the same. The success of this franchise does not hinge on Eller despite your obsession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad