Recalled/Assigned: Joakim Nordstrom

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
That's the point. He's not a gritty forward. He's soft. He's just not as soft as most guys on the team, and he plays with more grit. Not really something to hang your hat on. The tallest midget it still a midget.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
This call up is a joke but it goes with the territory. I wonder what Scotty Gomez is doing these days? LOL

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The guy is like 180 lbs soaking wet. He doesn't have a single above average NHL quality. Passing, shooting, hockey IQ, physicality, hands, all pretty much average or below average... He's a ****** version of Frolik... This team has way too many undersized, soft forwards. They need some guys with some grit that can go into the corners and win some battles. Some guys that can throw some hits and forecheck. Nordstrom is just more of what they already have too much of.

Exactly. Anyone who watched the Ducks/Kings game this afternoon would see just how physical the hockey in the West has become and it's only November. I'm not sure that Hawks can compete against top teams come playoff time. At some point Hawk's management needs to realize that soft hockey just won't cut it.

Nothingman*

NOT a fan of this call up. This is like you are playing not to lose. ****ing stupid.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Another fringe NHL player who pretty much brings nothing to the table. Might as well just play Rozsival at forward.

You call Nordstrom that but continue to prop up Morin who has proven worthless

Also the calling Hawks soft , etc cries are laughable at this point when you consider this team is no softer/weaker physically then the 2013 Cup team

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Also the calling Hawks soft , etc cries are laughable at this point when you consider this team is no softer/weaker physically then the 2013 Cup team

Nordstrom and Morin both aren't "proven" anything.

You don't seem to be trashing McNeil as a wasted pick at every opportunity this year. Kids take time. I've said it before and I'll say it again; if Duncan Keith came up as a rookie today two thirds of this board would want him run out of town on a rail.

It doesn't make sense to me because Nordstrom is a pretty vanilla jack of all trades. Same as Regin.

If we wanted more energy Danault/Ross would have made sense. This is a lateral move at best and a slight downgrade in all probability until Nordstrom develops a feel for the game at this level.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I actually have no opinion at all about Morin because he doesn't play enough for anyone to form an opinion of him. Nordstrom averages about 4 minutes a game more than Morin and has done even less with his playing time. I would still like to see Morin given legit third line minutes like he was last season when he produced. Like Nordstrom is given every time he is up here. But that doesn't matter because Q has no tolerance for growing offensive players and will never give Morin a shot.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Nordstrom and Morin both aren't "proven" anything.

You don't seem to be trashing McNeil as a wasted pick at every opportunity this year. Kids take time. I've said it before and I'll say it again; if Duncan Keith came up as a rookie today two thirds of this board would want him run out of town on a rail.

It wasn't too long ago someone bumped a thread from the time Keith was in his rookie season, at least the OP was sure that Keith would not amount to anything in the league. It was funny. People expect kids to hit their full potential as soon as they have their first taste of pro hockey, it's simply an unrealistic notion. It doesn't work that way.

Also this hang-up on weight, size and "grit" of players or the Hawks perceived "softness" is rather silly. Hawks might not hit as much as other teams, but that hasn't stopped them from being one of the most successful teams in the league these past years and opponents who have tried playing them with a physical edge hasn't really bothered them too much. Isn't it time to put to bed the idea that teams need to be a certain size, have some sort of "grit" as a prerequisite to being a good successful team. It might have been true a couple of decades ago, but the times and game have changed since then.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The Hawks have a tremendous edge in roster talent, overall speed and puck possession game over the past 5 years or so. That has overcome the fundamental weakness of the team's game.

That edge has just about disappeared due to a combination of things. Hossa aging, Sharp's playoff funk and injury (a sign of things to come?), fall off of Seabrook's play and the IMPROVEMENT made by the opponents.

Hawks are trying to maintain while the opposition has made big improvements.

The inability of the coaching staff will only become magnified as adjustments and actual systems will become more important to the team's success.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
The Hawks have a tremendous edge in roster talent, overall speed and puck possession game over the past 5 years or so. That has overcome the fundamental weakness of the team's game.

That edge has just about disappeared due to a combination of things. Hossa aging, Sharp's playoff funk and injury (a sign of things to come?), fall off of Seabrook's play and the IMPROVEMENT made by the opponents.

The inability of the coaching staff will only become magnified as adjustments and actual systems will become more important to the team's success.

Spot on. Very obvious (except to the homers) that this team wasn't a true contender going in for all the reasons you mentioned.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I agree with all of the above, and is exactly why Hawks can no longer rely on superior talent to win. They can't continue to cheat with fly-by hockey, avoiding the dirty areas and playing mostly on the perimeter... and ops are looking for the Hawk's stretch pass which has been a big weapon.

How to proceed? To start the bottom 6 needs a re-think, imo. Calling up players like Regin and Nordstrom had better be just stop gaps while the prospects get more seasoning. The coaching staff needs to make all of the players accountable for their play, with no exceptions. Good luck with that though.

pamela2

Nov 9, 2014
hawks are way to soft no hitting or fighting quenville doesn't like it and if you do your benched and they just got softer with that call up

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Nordstrom CANNOT be taken out of the lineup. He makes that Kruger line 2013 good.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Nordstrom CANNOT be taken out of the lineup. He makes that Kruger line 2013 good.

Yeah, Nordstrom looks pretty scrawny but there's no doubting his compete level. I like the grit and willingness to go to the net when he gets the chance. Right now, a pleasant surprise.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
He doesnt make mistakes either -- at least none I can think of off the top of my head (although I haven't seen all of last night's game yet).

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Nordström has been alright. Lots of hustle and he hits too and doesn't seem to shy away from confrontations. He ought to be a good bottom 6 forward. Don't know if he has any offensive upside, but his defensive work seems to be good.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
You know, when he got the call up over others I wondered why but he's played great for us thus far. Doesn't seem to make mistakes and willing to do the dirty work.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Boy those posters who emigrated Nordstrom have egg on their faces now since his recall...He has made the 4th line mesh...He has shown speed and grit and foreheads and back-checks..the only missing element is some scoring. ..but love his help to the 4th line on zone-time possession...If the 4th line does only that then they tire out opposing men and make it easier for our scoring lines to eventually get more space to do their thing..

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, Nordstrom looks pretty scrawny but there's no doubting his compete level. I like the grit and willingness to go to the net when he gets the chance. Right now, a pleasant surprise.

Its funny that you and fiddy say the word grit because that is exactly what I said about him when he was called up and Pez called him soft. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad