JM's Mock Draft (Feel free to give feedback!!)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Alright so I know there's a Mock Draft's forum to post these but I'd actually like to get some feedback on this before it's moved and there's not a whole lot of people who visit the Mock Draft's forum to give me insight. So if possible please leave it here for a bit.

small.png
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins [C, Red Deer Rebels, WHL]

small.png
- Jonathan Huberdeau [LW/C, Saint John Seadogs, QMJHL]

small.png
- Sean Couturier [Drummondville Voltiguers, QMJHL]

small.png
- Adam Larsson [D, Skelleftea AIK, SEL]

small.png
- Dougie Hamilton [D, Niagra Ice Dogs, OHL]

small.png
- Gabriel Landeskog [LW, Kitchener Rangers, OHL]

small.png
- Ryan Strome [C, Niagra Ice Dogs, OHL]

small.png
- Ryan Murphy [D, Kitchener Rangers, OHL]

small.png
- Nathan Beaulieu [D, Saint John Seadogs, QMJHL]

small.png
- Joel Armia [RW, Assat, FIN]

small.png
- Duncan Siemens [D, Saskatoon Blades, WHL]

small.png
- Brandon Saad [LW, Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

small.png
- Mark Scheifele [C, Barrie Colts, OHL]

small.png
- Joseph Morrow [D, Portland Winterhawks, WHL]

small.png
- Mike Zibanejad [C, Djurgardens IF, SEL]

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
small.png
- Mark McNeill [C, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL]

small.png
- Tyler Biggs [RW, USNDT, USHL]

small.png
- Sven Bartschi [LW, Portland Winterhawks, WHL]

small.png
- Zack Phillips [C, Saint John Seadogs, QMJHL]

small.png
- Boone Jenner [C, Oshawa Generals, OHL]

small.png
- Matt Puempel [LW, Peterbrough Petes, OHL]

small.png
- Rocco Grimaldi [C, USA-U18]

small.png
- Nicklas Jensen [LW, Oshawa Generals, OHL]

small.png
- Jonas Brodin [D, Farjestad, SWE]

small.png
- Jonathan Miller [C, US-U18]

small.png
- Vladislav Namestikov [RW, London Knights, OHL]

small.png
- Jamieson Oleksiak [D, Northeastern, H-EAST]

small.png
- Ty Rattie [RW, Portland Winterhawks, WHL]

small.png
- Connor Murphy [D, US-U18]

small.png
- Rickard Rackell [RW, Plymouth Whalers, OHL]

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
For the last time Lando will NOT fall to 6!

I thought the same for a while but I personally see the top 5 shaping up like that. It really depends what Colorado does because if they don't take Huberdeau I'd expect them to take Landeskog.

The Islanders will probably take a defenseman also so I see Ottawa ending up with either Huberdeau or Landeskog.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Islanders will probably take a defenseman also so I see Ottawa ending up with either Huberdeau or Landeskog.

The Islanders can use help in all areas and will take BPA. If Lando falls to 5th(unlikely) I can't see them passing up on him. I can just imagine a line of Nino-Tavares-Landeskog

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
This is the "everyone's happy" mock draft. I think that if each team was picking with their hearts and maybe drafting totally for position, then this mock is probably spot on. In fact..for me...i's how I HOPE things go.

1. RNH is a given
2. Col gets the star 1st line LW to play with Duschene
3. Tallon like big centers and SC fits the bill.
4. NJ could use a stud on D.
5. Isles thing about skog but they're good up front and Hamilton fits a need.
6. Ott gets the swede they're hoping for (although they probably need a center)
7. Atl/Wpg could use some more skill up front.
8. Clb gets the PMD they're long desired.
9. Boston is tempted by Siemans but go safe with the two way Beaulieu
10. Armia to MIN makes sense to play to Granlund.
11. Col took the skilled wing in Huber and go D with Siemans here.
12. Saad is a good fit in Carolina
13. Scheifele adds a much needed center to the prospect pool.
14. Joe Morrow is a reach for Dallas and could see Oleksiak slide in here if they go D.
15. NYR need a center and are happy that Mika Z fell to them (although Peumpel would be a good pick or NYR.

the rest is a crap shoot.

Overall I like it. But it never goes exactly as planned...someone always drops (Fowler/Gormley) and someone always reaches (McIlwrath).

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Saad and Morrow are too early for my liking(especially Saad).

I don't think Zibby makes it past 11, but other than that...it looks pretty solid.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'll punch my own face if those two picks happen before the Pens pick. I badly, BADLY want one of those two.

Good to see someone with Morrow so high. IMO he's going to be a good one.

Any thoughts on Russo?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'll take Klefbom, Brodin or Oleksiak over Phillips. I'm not totally opposed to double dipping at C but I'm not as high on Phillips as you are.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
12. Saad is a good fit in Carolina

Not really, Carolina is loaded on the LW position and Saad has some reported character issues. The Canes may be the team that's highest on a players character of any in the league, and they have a long term need on D and at C more then they do on the left side. McNeill or Scheifele would make more sense, even arguably Morrow or Oleksiak.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
small.png
- Sven Bartschi [LW, Portland Winterhawks, WHL]?

The Hawks top 3 forward prospects

1-LW Jeremy Morin (2009 2nd) (Acq via trade)
2-LW Kyle Beach (2008 1st)
3-LW Kevin Hayes (2010 1st)

Additional LW propects in system

LW Ludvig Rensfeldt (2010 2nd)
LW Philippe Paradis (2009 1st) (Acq via trade)

If Hawks go with another LW early in draft I will be left wondering what the hell they are doing

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Not really, Carolina is loaded on the LW position and Saad has some reported character issues. The Canes may be the team that's highest on a players character of any in the league, and they have a long term need on D and at C more then they do on the left side. McNeill or Scheifele would make more sense, even arguably Morrow or Oleksiak.

Carolina's pick was the hardest one for me to choose. At first I had McNeill going there but the Canes would have plenty of center depth if they picked a center also no?

Staal
Boychuk
Sutter
Dalpe

I also remember hearing the Canes don't like to pick defenseman in the first round which is why I didn't have one going there.

The other guy I thought of was Puempel. What are your thoughts on him for Carolina?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'll take Klefbom, Brodin or Oleksiak over Phillips. I'm not totally opposed to double dipping at C but I'm not as high on Phillips as you are.

I'm a big fan of Phillips, I do like Brodin but I think Phillips has a lot more high end potential. I'd hope EDM would take Klefbom at 31.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
MPS - Phillips/Gagner - Gagner/Phillips

I would love to see this future top 6.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I thought the same for a while but I personally see the top 5 shaping up like that. It really depends what Colorado does because if they don't take Huberdeau I'd expect them to take Landeskog.

The Islanders will probably take a defenseman also so I see Ottawa ending up with either Huberdeau or Landeskog

Isles will take the BPA.

The Isles will have 24 yr old MacDonald and 20 yr old Hamonic starting the season on LI.By the end of the season,20 yr old De haan and 21 yr old Donovan are expected to be pushing for nhl roster spots.

The 2012 draft is reportedly a strong draft,with quite a few quality blueline prospects.

marty26

Apr 7, 2011
Tomas Jurco should be there, 18 points in 19 games in the playoffs and so far he has 5 points in 3 games at the memorial cup.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Carolina's pick was the hardest one for me to choose. At first I had McNeill going there but the Canes would have plenty of center depth if they picked a center also no?

Staal
Boychuk
Sutter
Dalpe

I also remember hearing the Canes don't like to pick defenseman in the first round which is why I didn't have one going there.

The other guy I thought of was Puempel. What are your thoughts on him for Carolina?

Boychuk is not a center anymore. He's been on the wing since we drafted him. The same would probably happen to McNeill if we drafted him.

But even though we don't like to draft defensemen in Round 1, I think this is the year we finally take one. It is THE need for our team.

habsinottawa

May 9, 2011
Nobody wants Biggs in Montreal at 17th... :cry:
I agree. If Zibanejad is gone (which he most likely will be) and Saad and Phillips and Scheifele are gone, I want Puempel. If Timmins does his job, thats how it will pan out....I hope.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'm with everyone else after 11 in wanting Zibanejad on my team :P. But Scheifele is a good choice if he doesn't fall to us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad