Recalled/Assigned: JJ gets his shot; Lander sent back down

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Though I do agree it was a mis-use of Lander. The idea of Hendricks-Letestu-Lander is a horrid idea as it's slow and not overly big.

Pitlick brought speed and Kassian had size to make that line effective. Lander just made the 4th line a group of plugs.

If you're going to play any of Letestu, Lander or Hendricks you need to have good speed with them, or at least size.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The idea of Hendricks-Letestu-Lander is a horrid idea as it's slow and not overly big.

Agree.

Khaira-Letestu-Slepy is a big, dynamic 4th line. Good mix of size, speed, and physicality. I like it.

Even Khaira-Letestu-Kassian could be a damn good 4th line. Kassian is an underrated skater, he's got a powerful long stride and can move well for a big man. Kassian and Khaira on the forecheck? Sign me up.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Not sure why they felt the need to send Lander down (we only have 22 guys on the active roster) or even call him up since they never really took advantage of his strengths (FO and PK). Pretty much continues the trend in WTF decisions on player usage this season. Good to see Khaira get a shot but making Lander pay for Hendricks being washed up is kind of lame.

Yep this org is still ****ed up

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
You know I'd really like them to play Hendricks once a week and then everyone would know the deal going forward. I like and respect the man - but his wheels have almost fallen off - and a guy like Slepy bring way more to the table. Agree that a Khaira-Letestu-Slepy line might be interesting if they can avoid leaking goals. Always a bonus to get 4th line offense but it's a real killer if they are giving up goals.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Though I do agree it was a mis-use of Lander. The idea of Hendricks-Letestu-Lander is a horrid idea as it's slow and not overly big.

Pitlick brought speed and Kassian had size to make that line effective. Lander just made the 4th line a group of plugs.

If you're going to play any of Letestu, Lander or Hendricks you need to have good speed with them, or at least size.

Agreed. It would've been interesting to see a setup like:

3. Lucic - Letestu - Kassian
4. Pouliot - Lander - Slepyshev

Even if it was just for a couple games.

Lucic filling the Pitlick role on that line that was producing well early on could be something to get him rolling again.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
how is it ****ed up to avoid putting Lander through waivers?

i think that comment was for the usage of player as in no PK or faceoffs.

funny how Oilers manage to completely neutralize strengths of certain players..

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
The "need to avoid clearing waivers again" issue is false as Lander spent only 9 days and 4 games on the NHL roster - far less than the 30 days/10 game limit which would require him to "re-clear" next time he was assigned. Plus we are only carrying 22 players at the moment. Plus were continue to get killed on faceoffs and the PK - both of which we were adequate to great at the beginning of the season with Lander involved. Not having him take faceoffs or play much on the PK in the latest call-up was pretty bizarre deployment of the player. Why bother?

Edit: Landers ES points/60 is 3rd highest on the team behind CMD/Pitlcik and ahead of Maroon and is double what Hendricks is producing. Positive GF/GA ratio (he's helping) average shooting percentage and neutral PDO (it's not luck). Corsi not great but better then most of the rest of the 4th liners. Puzzling decisions these guys make.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lander is good for the Bakersfield team, he dominates the AHL and provides a good veteran leadership presence.

Having some youth with size and energy on the 4th line would be a welcome addition during the grind of the season. Keeping our bottom 6, and roster overall competitive is a good thing. Competition makes teams better.

I bet Slepy and Khaira come out flying for us, Khaira probably sees this as an opportunity to secure his 4th line spot as Hendo's replacement. I doubt he ever wants to go back down, it's all on him.

The opportunities are available to take some spots, hopefully these guys inject some energy. I think they will.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
we could use Landers Pk and face off skills in the nil , but I do see their thought process as well , there are too many players that they want to see do well down in Bakers, calling up what is essentially your number 1 centre (lander) and ur 2c (JJ) is painful. They need someone to play with Pully down there as well , you guys may have forgotten this but Lander is a superstar Ahl player and the team could really use him

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

it seems the move is more asset management to avoid the chance of losing a useful depth player rather than an on ice driven decision

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe they think the ahl can continue to grow landers offensive game. Other than that it just doesnt make much sense to me.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Maybe they think the ahl can continue to grow landers offensive game. Other than that it just doesnt make much sense to me.

Makes total sense. Lander is basically a poor mans Letestu. That line of Lander, Letestu and Hendricks brings very little to the table as they're all similar players. Hard working guys but there all undersized, underskilled, guys who try to create energy for the team but really don't.

Put Khaira, Letestu and Kassian as the 4th line and watch them punish defenceman on the forcheck. That line would create chaos which would pump up the team big time and force opposing D to move it quicker than they like, which leads to more turnovers.

Lander was good at faceoffs but there's no center spots left for him. His contributions as a winger are minimal. I also feel that 'expert penalty killers' are over rated. Anyone that hustles, isn't afraid to block a shot and has a good active stick can kill penalties. Nuge, Letestu, Hendricks, Kassian, Pouliot & McDavid can all pk.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
it seems the move is more asset management to avoid the chance of losing a useful depth player rather than an on ice driven decision

Yeah?

I'd rather see a 6'4 215 pound motivated and hungry Khaira crashing and banging on the 4th line. This is his chance to take a spot on the 4th line.

I bet he comes out flying.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

How does it seem that way? Lander played 3 minutes last game and was -2, that's pretty poor. He also provides little offense at the NHL level. You know what he is. JJ is a still developing asset having a very good season and is deserving of the call up.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

i dont think so.. We have waived him once already.. there is no reason why Lander wouldnt clear waivers again.. Even if we lose him its not a big deal.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Meanwhile, Hendricks continues to get PK time and take plenty of draws. I don't get it either.

I understand the Khaira call up, I'm a big fan of his, but don't get why they called up Lander if they weren't going to utilize his strengths.

As much as I like Khaira, I think they need Lander's skillset more now than Khaira. The PK and faceoffs percentage dropped off when Lander was sent down. Lander knows his role as a 4th liner, Khaira should be groomed to be more than that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Curious to see what JJ can do. We've had a lot of guys show well this year with little experience. Hopefully he continues that trend.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I think Hendricks can give you about 1 decent game a week at this point and I wish they would stop over-playing him just because he's a great teammate (and he is). The deployment of many players has been head-scratching this season. Stapling Ebs/Lucic to McDavid even when it was obviously not working, overplaying Hendricks, getting rid of Lander when the PK and FO rates were great, keeping Caggiula up when he was providing little and giving up a lot (will be a nice player eventually but needs seasoning), sending Slepychev away when he had exactly one ES GA in all his games played and showed a bunch of good offensive instincts, riding Russell until the numbers that suggested he would regress fell off a cliff, JP's usage, goaltending etc etc. I honestly think simple deployment has cost us several games this season.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
So they're burying Lander in the minors in the hopes that he Oilers make the playoffs and can recall him then?

Whatever. Todd isn't a Lander guy. I thought Lander was one of the few players outside the top line who actually showed up against the Senators (I was at the game).

JJ has a chance to be an NHL player and is a good skater. Give him a shot on the 4th line. Find out where he fits longer term.

Yeah, I think the coaching staff do not believe in Lander. It's a pity, I think he could be a dynamite checking center under the right circumstances. Hope he can still figure it out somewhere.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

There is nothing for him to grow in the AHL. He has been an AHL star basically from his 2nd year.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Both JJ and Slepy looked damn good last night. Lots of o-zone cycling and no major d-zone mistakes. Lucic was a great stabilizer for both of the young guys on his line.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Both JJ and Slepy looked damn good last night. Lots of o-zone cycling and no major d-zone mistakes. Lucic was a great stabilizer for both of the young guys on his line.

Totally agree on all your thoughts. Khaira and Slepy did everything you could ask from a bottom 6 role. Caggiula has been coming on for a few games now aswell. Let's hope McClellan lets them build some chemistry.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm sold on Khaira over Lander. For the mere fact that his size gives him the opportunity to make an impact at the NHL level. Lander, he's a lost cause. He's too small and slow to be an effective NHL checker. And he doesn't have the skills to be even an average 4th line producer. I like his character and work ethic, but he's simply not an NHLer.

Is Khaira? We don't know yet either, but atleast he still has the potential to be one. Lander's had a lot of icetime and chances in the big leagues to prove he belongs.

Hendricks however, I still think brings more to the table than Khaira currently. But it wouldn't be hard to surpass what Hendricks brings eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad