Recalled/Assigned: JJ gets his shot; Lander sent back down

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I'm sold on Khaira over Lander. For the mere fact that his size gives him the opportunity to make an impact at the NHL level. Lander, he's a lost cause. He's too small and slow to be an effective NHL checker. And he doesn't have the skills to be even an average 4th line producer. I like his character and work ethic, but he's simply not an NHLer.

Is Khaira? We don't know yet either, but atleast he still has the potential to be one. Lander's had a lot of icetime and chances in the big leagues to prove he belongs.

Hendricks however, I still think brings more to the table than Khaira currently. But it wouldn't be hard to surpass what Hendricks brings eventually.

I feel like the current Hendricks hasn't brought anything to the table this season. I can't even think of any decent scoring chances that he's helped to generate, good cycles, or even decent hits. JJ did all of that last game and every game that he's played in. JJ looked alright when he played in the Top-6 with Hall, Ebs, and Nuge.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I feel like the current Hendricks hasn't brought anything to the table this season. I can't even think of any decent scoring chances that he's helped to generate, good cycles, or even decent hits. JJ did all of that last game and every game that he's played in. JJ looked alright when he played in the Top-6 with Hall, Ebs, and Nuge.

Hendricks I feel hasn't had enough time to get his feet under him. He HAS been underwhelming this year, but I can remember a stint of 2 or 3 games where he has made an impact. Khaira could easily surpass him, but last nights game hasn't proved that to me anyways.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought Khaira had a very solid game. He wasn't as physical as he can be, but he was hard on the puck, protected it well, and won a lot of physical battles. Also set Kassian up off a great steal that could have easily resulted in a goal if not for a great save by Schneider. He's perfect for the 4th line and when he really ramps up his physicality like I've seen from him in the past he'll look even better. He's a better skater than guys like Lander and Hendricks, and he's fearless as well. He'll drop them with anyone. Kid has some solid vision and playmaking skill as well that will be a nice boost to the 4th line if some guys can start converting.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
Does the thread title make anyone else think Jesse Joensuu is somehow still in the system?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lander with a hat trick tonight. 13 goals in 14 games. If only he was a bit bigger and stronger, maybe he could do something at the NHL level.

Last edited:

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Lander with a hat trick tonight. 13 goals in 14 games. If only he was a bit bigger and stronger, maybe he could do something at the NHL level.

A hatty and an assist! But I'm not sure if it's size that he's missing so much as an extra gear. He always seems like he's just a half-step behind every play at the NHL level.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A hatty and an assist! But I'm not sure if it's size that he's missing so much as an extra gear. He always seems like he's just a half-step behind every play at the NHL level.

Right. Size and speed I should have said. Both are the major detriments as to why he can't do what he does in the AHL at the NHL level.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010

Not only that, the opposition is on you so much faster in the NHL. It's more open in the AHL with more time to think.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not only that, the opposition is on you so much faster in the NHL. It's more open in the AHL with more time to think.

So where is Puljujärvi's hattrick then?
AHL is just a different beast..Lander seems to be the McDavid of it. Complete day and night when it comes to NHL

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
So where is Puljujärvi's hattrick then?
AHL is just a different beast..Lander seems to be the McDavid of it. Complete day and night when it comes to NHL

Pulju just got there! lol He has to adjust to a new environment, a new coach, a new system. Again. Plus he's just 18 and barely speaks English. Luckily he has Sallenin there. Even then, he still has 2A in 2 games.

And yes, AHL is a different beast. I was just pointing out one of the differences.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Lander has huge potential, as seen in AHL.

I just dont think he is used right in the nhl. If TM could use him better, he will be a fantastic asset to the oilers.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Right. Size and speed I should have said. Both are the major detriments as to why he can't do what he does in the AHL at the NHL level.

I think just speed would be enough to make him a good NHL player, he's smart enough to play around a size deficit. The problem is he isn't fast enough to get to pucks first or get good body position on the opposition. Another reason why I'd prefer Lander to focus on speed over size/strength is that he clearly has an avenue to be a strong asset on the PK and that little extra speed to close off lanes or to hunt down loose pucks makes all the difference in the world.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Looks like Jordan Oesterle has been called up from Bakersfield yesterday. Must be the injury to Larsson might be a bit worse. I hope not.

Russell also took a puck to the hand last game. He wasn't at the Oilers skills competition yesterday. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad