JJ Daigneault

PunkinDrublic*

As i mentioned in another thread.

I am very surprised ( not really because of his origins ) that he takes NO heat on this defensive corps that look so lost.
If anyone could explain to me how come he gets no irate from the media and fans for having made zero adjustments in their own zone ?

Maybe, just maybe for once in Montreal we could hire a coach for his talents and not his name for pleasing the media and the fans that need the french name.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Probably doesn't get much heat because we've had one of the lowest team goals against averages all year, also our penalty kill has been great all year so hard to really complain about the job he's doing.

Not saying he's done a great job but with Emelin struggling most the year and having to play plugs like Bouillon and/or Murray every game its hard to really blame him for anything this year.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
We'll never hire the best person qualified for the job, we'll always hire the best francophone coach.

Deal with it

Sad, but true.
\
psKuB.gif

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
If there is a problem on the Habs its the forwards, not the defense.

I'd say its the offence rather than the forwards. D's are responsible for getting the pick out of the zone with quick cross zone passes. We have been especially ****** at getting the O going in our zone this year. Thats why we spend most of our time in our zone. At least our positioning is decent and Price is amazing, but we lose so many battles on the boards and miss offensive passes, its crazy.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
There has been progress on all fronts since JJ took over.

Subban is better.
Markov is better (maybe because he is healthier)
Gorges is better now than he was under Cunneyworth
Emelin was better until he got hurt
Diaz is better than he was under Cunneyworth
Bouillon sucks, Murray sucks.

Not sure what else he is supposed to do.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

The Habs defense after Subban and Markov has been below average at best, and Murray and Bouillon are statistically among the worst players in the NHL, with Murray possibly the worst non-goon in the league at even strength.

And if anything the Habs defense is shielded by above average to great defensive forwards in the likes of Plekanec, Gionta, Eller, Prust, Moen, and Bournival. Guys like Plekanec and Eller especially have been limited offensively in part because they are shelled in their own zone due to an inability of this team to keep possession and bring the puck out of their own zone, especially without the Subban-Markov pairing to bring everyone up.

Daigneault has fixed his awful PK from last year, so he deserves credit for that, but as of right now every defenseman except Markov has been regressing from last year, and you have to wonder what the coaching staff is trying to do.

There has been progress on all fronts since JJ took over.

Subban is better.
Markov is better (maybe because he is healthier)
Gorges is better now than he was under Cunneyworth
Emelin was better until he got hurt
Diaz is better than he was under Cunneyworth
Bouillon sucks, Murray sucks.

Not sure what else he is supposed to do.

Cunneyworth was arguably the worst coach in Habs history, so this isn't much praise. And Subban is currently playing the worst hockey he has played since he was a rookie.

PunkinDrublic*

You would eh ? Why am i not surprised ? Every thread you enter it's just to play devils advocate, cute at the beginning, but it gets old.

The Habs defense always looks lost, and this stems back to the last half of last season, maybe even further.

And just to play along with your little game. The reason the goals against has been low is PRICE. Surely someone with your hockey knowledge would recognize this ?

GreenBubbleRaincoat

Mar 15, 2013
Hancock, Michigan
I still think a lot of the problems stem from how we attack the offensive zone. Look, no line on this team keeps the puck in the other team's zone for more than a handful of seconds. This has been happening for a while here, and I have a hard time with management not seeing this. When the Habs seldom have the puck in the other team's zone... guess what?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
is the French one automatically the worst of the other 29

When a guy like Larry Robinson approaches you to say he'd like the job and it goes to JJ, than it's not that JJ is automatically the worst one, he just wasn't better than the options available. That's what's sad but true.

habitue*

We'll never hire the best person qualified for the job, we'll always hire the best francophone coach.

Deal with it

Here we go again ! :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

JJ has played over 15 years at NHL level and was d-men coach for the Rangers system for at least 5 years.

habitue*

The Habs defense after Subban and Markov has been below average at best, and Murray and Bouillon are statistically among the worst players in the NHL, with Murray possibly the worst non-goon in the league at even strength.

And if anything the Habs defense is shielded by above average to great defensive forwards in the likes of Plekanec, Gionta, Eller, Prust, Moen, and Bournival. Guys like Plekanec and Eller especially have been limited offensively in part because they are shelled in their own zone due to an inability of this team to keep possession and bring the puck out of their own zone, especially without the Subban-Markov pairing to bring everyone up.

Daigneault has fixed his awful PK from last year, so he deserves credit for that, but as of right now every defenseman except Markov has been regressing from last year, and you have to wonder what the coaching staff is trying to do.

Cunneyworth was arguably the worst coach in Habs history, so this isn't much praise. And Subban is currently playing the worst hockey he has played since he was a rookie.

Who was the d-men coach when PK won his Norris last year ?

marchabsfan

Apr 20, 2006
www.duproprio.com
When a guy like Larry Robinson approaches you to say he'd like the job and it goes to JJ, than it's not that JJ is automatically the worst one, he just wasn't better than the options available. That's what's sad but true.

that's your opinion and btw it is a given that a coach chooses who he works with, that's all. so if LR should've been given a job, it would probably have been coach

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
JJ deserves some respect. He is an excellent teacher and is a solid coach. Maybe it's the tools he has to work with? Don't underestimate the importance of Gerard Gallant and JJ Daigneault.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
that's your opinion and btw it is a given that a coach chooses who he works with, that's all. so if LR should've been given a job, it would probably have been coach

I think Larry Robinson's credentials and experience speak for themselves as does the Canadiens current defensive breakdowns under JJ's watch.

Believe what you want but JJ was hardly the "best" candidate available.

As for MT chosing JJ over LR, well that speaks volumes to me as well. LR specificallt said he wanted nothing to do with being the head coach so MT had nothing to be fearful of.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's funny because out of all the assistants Bergy hired, people were the most excited about Daigneault who was praised for the work he was doing with the Rangers farm team.

marchabsfan

Apr 20, 2006
www.duproprio.com
I think Larry Robinson's credentials and experience speak for themselves as does the Canadiens current defensive breakdowns under JJ's watch.

Believe what you want but JJ was hardly the "best" candidate available.

As for MT chosing JJ over LR, well that speaks volumes to me as well. LR specificallt said he wanted nothing to do with being the head coach so MT had nothing to be fearful of.

youre a head coach, you bring your own guys, not the best available (unfortunately), that's pretty much how it works in the nhl

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think it's fair to just dump it all on Therrien's lap. Even if JJ handles the D, or maybe the PK?, or what exactly... we don't really know. End of the day, the head coach is going to get all the glory, and all the blame. And if he gets fired, his ass'ts usually go with him. And usually the new guy brings in his own crew. I'm satisfied with that. If an ass't lingers across multiple heads, like say Jacques Laperriere, then maybe you can start to pick at constants.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's funny because out of all the assistants Bergy hired, people were the most excited about Daigneault who was praised for the work he was doing with the Rangers farm team.

And this year the Rangers D squad look foolish, Girardi is hated, they want to trade Del Zotto. Because they have another coach with a new system.

JJ looked like a genius last year. Why does the D core have a problem this year? Because Therrien changed the system. I remember last year, the key was to not keep the puck in the zone too much and get it out as quick as possible and got on the offense. This year they let the teams get in the d zone easily and then try to box them with their 5 players. It's so horribly passive and the team do not have the big strong Ds to accomplish this. Carlysle in TO use the same damn system and they are getting plastered 45 shots a game. After that they wonder why the goalies have bad %.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad