(jinx) when was the last finnish bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Over the past few months, I've noticed a lot of HFBoards posters mentioning how impressive Finland's hockey program has been as of late. I tend to agree that they have been impressive. When was the last time a FNL player was a bust?

leafaholix*

Aki Berg... he's a good #4/5 defenseman at the age of 26, but not at #3.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
clefty said:
Juha Ylonen

I thought Ylönen was a decent 3rd line center for the Yotes? He'd still be playing in the NHL if not for his health issues. IIRC he had rheumatic troubles which meant that his body couldn't sustain the NHL schedule.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Jussi said:
I thought Ylönen was a decent 3rd line center for the Yotes? He'd still be playing in the NHL if not for his health issues. IIRC he had rheumatic troubles which meant that his body couldn't sustain the NHL schedule.

I agree.

He did a credible job with the Sens. I believe they wanted him back but he returned to Europe because of health reasons.

A lot of the players mentioned so far weren't taken high enough to be considered "busts". Teemu Sainommaa (sp?) was a 2nd rounder in 1999. He's a bust.

Rita is close to being a bust. If he doesn't make the NHL next year or the year after, he'll be a bust.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Many of the players you guys bring up are not only later round picks but also played at least half a season in the NHL on top of being a later round pick... which I think makes them at least a somewhat successful pick.

Rita 1999, 13th overall, Riihijarvi 1995 12th overall, Sainomaa 1999 62nd overall and Berg 1995 3rd overall

Is that all? That doesn't seem like many busts.

Edit: I was wondering if you folks considered Teemu Laine a bust at all yet.

Flonaldo

Brain Hemorrhage said:
Edit: I was wondering if you folks considered Teemu Laine a bust at all yet.
At the moment: yes. Let's see what his transfer to Tappara does to his game next season. He skates fast... and he skates fast... and that's about it. I guess that's also what made the scouts go "ooh!" and "aah!", but hockey isn't short track.

Agree with you 100% on the definition of a bust. Guys like Ylönen and Aalto are definitely not busts, they are actually picks that panned out pretty much as perfectly as anyone could hope for. If you get a couple of decent seasons out of a 6th rounder you can consider yourself lucky.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I looked through the last few draft seasons, '99-'03 and not one high pick (round 1 or two) looks like a complete bust. I'd say it's pretty safe to draft Finnish these days.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
All first, second and third round picks in the last ten years gone more or less awry:

75th in 2002, Arttu Luttinen's potential quickly deflated.

39th, 41st and 66th respectively in 2000, Teemu Laine, Tero Määttä and Tuukka Mäkelä are not becoming NHL players at this rate.

13th in 1999, Jani Rita...well, you know.

62th in 1999, Teemu Sainomaa was an awful pick.

43th in 1997, Juha Gustafsson is a mediocre SM-Liiga player.

65th in 1997, Ilkka Mikkola was probably never up to NHL standards as a prospect.

The 1995 draft was a total failure. Aki Berg's hockey sense never developed and 3rd was way too early. Teemu Riihijärvi is the worst Finnish pick ever at 12th, Miika Elomo crashed and burned at 23rd, Marko Mäkinen's development was messed up at 64th.

In addition to these players, 11-4-6 Finns were picked in the first three rounds between 1995 and 2002.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Yes, Teemu Riihijärvi was a bust at 12th pick, but he was never able to use his full potential due to his back problems which forced him to retire few seasons ago. He wasn't that bad most of you think.

AND IMO, A solid NHL player like Berg should not be said as bust however he hasn't produced 20+40 per season.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Korkki said:
Yes, Teemu Riihijärvi was a bust at 12th pick, but he was never able to use his full potential due to his back problems which forced him to retire few seasons ago. He wasn't that bad most of you think.

retire? :dunno: He is playing in Sweden right now and looking at his statistics the only season he missed more than 15 games was the 99/00 season where he played 26 games with Lukko in SM-Liiga.. hmmz
Did he say he was going to retire after that season but then came back the following season?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
bossy22 said:
By no means a prospect, but 2 years ago Tony Virta couldn't crack the Wild season opening lineup.

That's a big mystery, just like Kai Nurminen. Both had decent stats in the AHL and when (or if) called up were able to contribute. Lemaire must have something against players coming of a great season with TPS Turku. :joker:

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Predatore said:
Did he say he was going to retire after that season but then came back the following season?
Probably it was so. He has disappeared from my sight to Swedish lower series, so I thought he retired. But his back problems are for real, but they could mean same kind of problems Helminen has, he could not play 80 games per season, but Finnish amount around 50 suit him well.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Riihijärvi had also a bad injury in the autumn of 1995 and I think that was one reason to his failure. He played only 2 SM-liiga matches in 1995-96 season, having played 26 in previous two.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
At first I had Koivu listed because I bet many people would like to reuse that pick (notably more so than other ones). His development curve hasn't been high enough for him to became a star, but the important things are that he has developed steadily and improved his weaknesses. He should end up as a pretty good second line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad