Speculation: Jimmy Vesey

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Kid is gonna sign with the team that gives him the best opportunity to succeed. He's looking for top-six ice time, and as we know Cooper isn't a fan of handing away minutes before they're earned. I see him going to one of Chicago, Boston, Toronto.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Two words: hell no

If he knows anything about how we break in prospects he would run as far away as possible from us. Hell, he'd be better off staying in college (if he was even allowed to) because he would be getting more playing time and opportunity there than he ever would here. We'd stick him in the minors and tell him its good for him because he would be the "go to guy" for the Crunch when the young man wants a shot at the NHL.

I guarantee you Nikita Kucherov telephoned his buddy Gusev in Russia and told him the same thing. You get reports that he is willing to come overseas and then suddenly he signs a 2 year extension to stay with SKA? Needless to say I'm skeptical.

Jon Cooper made sure a very long time ago that his boys he coached in Norfolk and Syracuse got spots on the team. And as the team is right now there's no spots left for anyone new to join in.

If we can't find a way to get Drouin up here we sure as hell aren't gonna find a way for Vesey

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

If he knows anything about how we break in prospects he would run as far away as possible from us. Hell, he'd be better off staying in college (if he was even allowed to) because he would be getting more playing time and opportunity there than he ever would here. We'd stick him in the minors and tell him its good for him because he would be the "go to guy" for the Crunch when the young man wants a shot at the NHL.

I guarantee you Nikita Kucherov telephoned his buddy Gusev in Russia and told him the same thing. You get reports that he is willing to come overseas and then suddenly he signs a 2 year extension to stay with SKA? Needless to say I'm skeptical.

Jon Cooper made sure a very long time ago that his boys he coached in Norfolk and Syracuse got spots on the team. And as the team is right now there's no spots left for anyone new to join in.

If we can't find a way to get Drouin up here we sure as hell aren't gonna find a way for Vesey

^ sad but true, going to be very hard for Tampa to attract young offensive prospects given their history.

Why sign in TB when you could go to Chicago and get top-6 mins off the bat.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
^ sad but true, going to be very hard for Tampa to attract young offensive prospects given their history.

Why sign in TB when you could go to Chicago and get top-6 mins off the bat.

If I answered that question with how I really felt I'd turn this thread into a real **** storm so I'll hold my tongue.

In all fairness to Cooper and Yzerman we completely overhauled the Boucher roster almost overnight, particularly at forward. At the time we probably would've given a Jimmy Vesey a top 6 spot or at least a fair enough chance to compete for a spot. Guys like Lecavalier, Malone, Purcell and even St. Louis were all gone in a matter of 2 years. The first wave of forward prospects hit the Lightning to replace them and we never looked back. It was open season and anyone who could prove they were the man got a look. Especially Johnson and Palat when Stamkos went down.

The window of turnover closed by 2014 and it's gonna stay that way for at least another season. Kucherov was the last prospect to squeeze in and he was very lucky to do so. For Drouin it was already too late and notice how we can never find a consistent role for Namestnikov. We're too heavy at forward and a few guys are gonna have to be moved soon. Until we do that it's probably going to be, "Well you'll have to go to the AHL for now"

For most prospects I don't LIKE it but I get it. I'm not a fan with how Drouin has been handled but I can deal with it so long as we can salvage that relationship. The way we develop prospects is fine for some and not for others. But the Lightning can ill afford a "My way or the highway" mentality in how they treat their youngsters. It's toxic and selfish.

When a guy has climbed K2 (the 2nd tallest mountain in the world) all that's left ahead of him is the tallest mountain Everest. You don't make him climb the 8th tallest mountain to prepare him for Everest.

That's the case for a BIG prospect like Nikita Gusev... if he actually does come over from the KHL it's gonna be the biggest news since Artemi Panarin. You need a top 6 spot waiting for him. The kid is unbelievable, Sky and I'd bet lunch that he was 2nd on SKA in playoff scoring. You ARE NOT going to convince a guy who has spent the last several years playing in the 2nd best league in the world that he needs to scrape dirt 10 minutes a night with J.T Brown or "be the man for the Crunch". If that's what we are going to do because it's "Our way of doing things" then we may as well leave him. That's the "My way or the highway" approach I'm talking about. You can't reset the clock on a player once he joins the Lightning organization. To some players it will start to feel like regression in their development.

It's just not the way players work and you shouldn't pass on an exceptional talent like that because "you have your way of doing things". Well... so too did the organization the player came from. Does that make you better than them?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm tired of hearing about how Drouin isn't getting his chance, there's other players in the system who deserve a look before he gets another crack. I'm talking about a player who was picked 5 spots after Vesey and has busted his butt in Syracuse the last 3 years while Blunden, Angelidis get called up and Paquette gets 3rd line minutes when he's barely a 4th liner. Tanner Richard deserves a cup of coffee.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

This is what I hate about cooper and yzerman see drouin right now! I'm interested to see soon after Stamkos and a few others leave who cooper and yzerman replace them with ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
This is what I hate about cooper and yzerman see drouin right now! I'm interested to see soon after Stamkos and a few others leave who cooper and yzerman replace them with ?

is amazing the whining we get once have a full good team and crying for individuals who we dont have spots for lol

drouin to me has touched off finally he is focused just like vladdy was before call up and before him kucherov and also paquette they waited till got hot called up and look wow works

so take it all with a grain of salt we have only gotten one college guy in a long time sustr was highly targeted we have tried hard on many but it is what it is:)

as long as we keep drafting like we have it will all work out for a long time

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
is amazing the whining we get once have a full good team and crying for individuals who we dont have spots for lol

drouin to me has touched off finally he is focused just like vladdy was before call up and before him kucherov and also paquette they waited till got hot called up and look wow works

so take it all with a grain of salt we have only gotten one college guy in a long time sustr was highly targeted we have tried hard on many but it is what it is:)

as long as we keep drafting like we have it will all work out for a long time
Yzerman has only signed two college free agents so far brown and sustr ? You think with us being good that we won't be able to attract good college players now ? Or have we just not tried for college fa's and more focus on the draft ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yzerman has only signed two college free agents so far brown and sustr ? You think with us being good that we won't be able to attract good college players now ? Or have we just not tried for college fa's and more focus on the draft ?

think these college kids the good ones expect top minutes right off bat so ya we are gonna have a really hard time ever signing any just like the wings they cant do it much either and have a lot of guys in area that go elsewhere etc..

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
think these college kids the good ones expect top minutes right off bat so ya we are gonna have a really hard time ever signing any just like the wings they cant do it much either and have a lot of guys in area that go elsewhere etc..

This is the hilarious part about the Vesey situation - he was promised all that and more and is still walking away.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
This is the hilarious part about the Vesey situation - he was promised all that and more and is still walking away.

yes he was but brother is drafted to toronto and dad is a scout I dont know what i would do there but kinda dont blame him as long as toronto is the choice anywhere else is a slap in face to nashville think that is team that drafted him

good news is im sure since things like this keep happening sooner rather than later next cba or whatever this situation will be looked at to offer some type of compensation to the teams losing this type of an asset

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
yes he was but brother is drafted to toronto and dad is a scout I dont know what i would do there but kinda dont blame him as long as toronto is the choice anywhere else is a slap in face to nashville think that is team that drafted him

good news is im sure since things like this keep happening sooner rather than later next cba or whatever this situation will be looked at to offer some type of compensation to the teams losing this type of an asset
I thought he was signing with Boston ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad