Prospect Info: Jimmy Snuggerud, 23rd Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I didn't watch anything but the highlights, but 4 goals and an assist on opening weekend is about as much as we can ask for from Snuggy in his first games without Cooley and Knies. It is a long season, St. Thomas isn't a powerhouse and teams will start to more effectively key in on him as they get more tape on Minnesota's offense.

But his first weekend as the undisputed driver of the top line went about as well as it could have.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He didn't do much the last three games (losses). Without Cooley and Knies things are a lot harder.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
how would Kneis have done without Cooley and Snuggs?
Probably similarly. But I don’t think that was his point.

Two home losses to Wisconsin as the #1 ranked team in the nation isn’t a great look. But I don’t think they should’ve been ranked #1. They lost Cooley, Knies, Faber and Johnson and only added Oliver Moore. I mean, they obviously added others but Moore’s the only “name” player I’m familiar with them adding.

I’m hoping to make it to the game against Minnesota-Duluth at the end of this week but we’ll see - iffy family scheduling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
how would Kneis have done without Cooley and Snuggs?
Why does that matter? I'm analyzing Snuggerud as an NHL prospect for you. I'm a Gopher fan that doesn't watch the NHL and therefore doesn't care what team the players are going to.

Knies was way more NHL ready at the start of his sophomore season, if you really want the answer.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Why does that matter? I'm analyzing Snuggerud as an NHL prospect for you. I'm a Gopher fan that doesn't watch the NHL and therefore doesn't care what team the players are going to.

Knies was way more NHL ready at the start of his sophomore season, if you really want the answer.

I was just curious

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Think he's leading Team USA in points at the Juniors (they're on right now as matter fact)

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
He'll be playing for the Blues this year after the Gophers are bounced early from the Frozen Four. :laugh:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Depending on how Springfield is doing, it might make more sense for him to join the AHL team instead of the NHL team if he's looking to play pro games a few days after his NCAA season ends. they are currently right on the playoff bubble. If they are still in playoff position by then, I'd probably prefer for him to jump right into meaningful AHL games instead of playing tryout NHL minutes for a team that is very likely going to be playing out the string in April.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Depending on how Springfield is doing, it might make more sense for him to join the AHL team instead of the NHL team if he's looking to play pro games a few days after his NCAA season ends. they are currently right on the playoff bubble. If they are still in playoff position by then, I'd probably prefer for him to jump right into meaningful AHL games instead of playing tryout NHL minutes for a team that is very likely going to be playing out the string in April.
doesn't he only burn season if he plays in nhl?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
doesn't he only burn season if he plays in nhl?
Nope.

Jake Sanderson was in the exact same position as Snuggy when he signed his ELC in March of 2022. He was a still 19 year old in his D+2 season coming out of his 2nd NCAA season and wasn't set to turn 20 until the summer. He signed his ELC in March, played 0 NHL games and it burned a year of his ELC.

A team can get an NCAA player to the AHL without burning a year of the ELC. We did this with Tage. In those situations, the player signs an Amateur Tryout contract for the current season and then an ELC that starts in the following season. However, in the wake of the Gauthier trade, I think Snuggy has the pedigree to demand a burnt ELC year if he is going to leave school and immediately turn pro when his college season ends.

Edit: the reason for this is that "ELC signing age" isn't just how old you are on the day you sign your contract. Your ELC signing age is your age on September 15 of the calendar year in which you sign your contract. Not the league year, the calendar year. Snuggy will turn 20 this June and will thus be 20 on September 15 of this calendar year. So even though he signs the contract as a 19 year old, his ELC signing age is 20. The slide rule only applies to those whose ELC signing age is 18 or 19.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Minnesota plays Omaha in Sioux Falls on Thursday.
If they lose that game, he could first appear as a Blue the Saturday home game against San Jose March 30

If they win, they advance to play Saturday against the BU/RIT winner.
If they lose that game he could first appear Monday April 1 at home against Edmonton.

If Minnesota advances in the regional they would play the national semifinal Thursday April 11.
If they lose that game he could hop a next day plane and face Carolina at home Friday April 12.

If they make the national title game then he could be on the ice the home Sunday matinee against Seattle April 14, the season's penultimate game.

Reactions: LGB and Northerner

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I’d like to see what the Thomas line looks like with Snuggy there instead of Schenn.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I’d like to see what the Thomas line looks like with Snuggy there instead of Schenn.
Neighbors/Thomas/Snuggy
Buch/Schenn/Kyrou
would be nice to see how this plays to finish the season, also helps 3rd line by putting Saad there

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
I'd rather see Bolduc there first.

But with how Banny has been utilizing the rookies I think it's highly unlikely that we see either of them beside Thomas.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not sure Snuggerud’s play away from the puck will be good enough to jump right into the Blues’ top 6 TBH. Excited to find out one way or another soon tho!

Reactions: Mike Liut

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Not sure Snuggerud’s play away from the puck will be good enough to jump right into the Blues’ top 6 TBH. Excited to find out one way or another soon tho!
my Dad taught my best friend and me to ski... by taking us up the lifts to the highest spot on the mountain, pointed down past the double black diamonds at the tiny smudge at the bottom, told us "that is where the beer is" and he took off down the slope
we made it to the beer mostly in one piece

moral of the story, throw snuggy out there, he'll be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad