Jimmy Howard

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
How many teams need starting goaltending anymore? The majority have a legit starter and most if not all of the ones that don't have a kid they're grooming who they're convinced will be the guy. Unless you're moving an elite player, the market just isn't very big. (And hell, even if the perfect deal was out there, would our trade-phobic GM pull the trigger?)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's not like we need the cap space right now, so his inclusion on the roster is not really that big of a deal at this point.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He would be the perfect back-up if he wasn't expensive.

Too bad. I think he's great when he's on.

And he was on for two games all year

I think some crappy backup gets a good game once or twice a year

Gustavsson his first year here got one amazing win. I don't even know if he won other games. Certainly cause of him. He was trash that year

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
And he was on for two games all year

I think some crappy backup gets a good game once or twice a year

Gustavsson his first year here got one amazing win. I don't even know if he won other games. Certainly cause of him. He was trash that year

When did I mention anything about when? :S

I simply said when Howie plays well he's a really good number one. And he was.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's not like we need the cap space right now, so his inclusion on the roster is not really that big of a deal at this point.

Yeah. Just ride it out at this point.

In 3 years, Kronwall and Howard come off the books. Nyquist, too.
Then in 4 years, Ericsson and Franzen are officially gone.

Remaining would be:
Zetterberg
Abdelkader
Helm
Nielsen
And the cap hit of Stephen Weiss.

It's not great, but long as he stops signing these 6-7 year deals it's manageable.

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
Yeah. Just ride it out at this point.

In 3 years, Kronwall and Howard come off the books. Nyquist, too.
Then in 4 years, Ericsson and Franzen are officially gone.

Remaining would be:
Zetterberg
Abdelkader
Helm
Nielsen
And the cap hit of Stephen Weiss.

It's not great, but long as he stops signing these 6-7 year deals it's manageable.

what is the deal with Franzen? is he out again this season? why don't we buy him out?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
what is the deal with Franzen? is he out again this season? why don't we buy him out?

LTIR doesn't touch the cap. A buyout does. Hell I don't think he can be bought out while he's injured. He doesn't matter. Let him ride it out and wish him the best.

Johan Franzen will never play again. Luckily for us, he has an A+ instagam.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hockey world is just crazy.

1.8M Jimmy Howard would be great.

5.28M Howard is your worst nightmare

Well, because you have to fill out an entire roster and if you're backup is eating 7% of that, it makes it hard to improve other areas. Right now the Wings have zero space to upgrade the defense at all without moving contracts. That stinks.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
When did I mention anything about when? :S

I simply said when Howie plays well he's a really good number one. And he was.

Yeah. He's a good number one for like -3 games all seasons. A crappy backup can do that

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hockey world is just crazy.

1.8M Jimmy Howard would be great.

5.28M Howard is your worst nightmare

I'm starting to think you don't understand the cap at all with howard having a bad contract and Ericsson having a bad contract. Yet you defend it

You cant build a winning team with bad contract after bad contract

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Caaallllmmmm dowwnnn.

Howie was a very good goalie before his injuries started to eat im up. He hasn't been the same since.

Exactly. And now he sucks. He was good once upon a time. Particularly the short season

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
Caaallllmmmm dowwnnn.

Howie was a very good goalie before his injuries started to eat im up. He hasn't been the same since.

Problem with fans and management is that they live too much in the past. Opportunities routinely pass us by because of a mentality of a bygone era and things that happened years ago. This is probably true of most "storied" franchises that have difficulty making transitions. We have a totally different team in a totally different era of the NHL. Either we adapt or we die. Players like Yzerman et al. deserved loyalty toward the end because they did so much for the franchise. But you don't deserve loyalty simply because you were drafted by the Detroit Red Wings.

The decline in the last three years can be directly attributed to this.

Last edited:

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Exactly. And now he sucks. He was good once upon a time. Particularly the short season

Haters gunna hate.

Our total cap for the TWO goalies is less than mtl and nyr have in one.

Accept that fact you have two good goalies and move on. Howard is just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Haters gunna hate.

Our total cap for the TWO goalies is less than mtl and nyr have in one.

Accept that fact you have two good goalies and move on. Howard is just fine.

This board has hated Howie from the start. That are a few posters who hated on him later disappeared when Mrazek got the starting job.

It'll be interesting to see when the honeymoon phase ends with Petr.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This board has hated Howie from the start. That are a few posters who hated on him later disappeared when Mrazek got the starting job.

It'll be interesting to see when the honeymoon phase ends with Petr.

I'm not convinced Mrazek is that great. I'm still waiting for my honeymoon phase. Guy is an NHL starter, but he hasn't played consistently good enough to inspire me to call him the franchise goalie.

I just want 1 full year where he looks like a top 5 goalie.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Don't get me wrong. I hope Petr turns into the spectacular goalie he's destined to be.

But Howie gets waaayyyy too much hate.

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
I'm not convinced Mrazek is that great. I'm still waiting for my honeymoon phase. Guy is an NHL starter, but he hasn't played consistently good enough to inspire me to call him the franchise goalie.

I just want 1 full year where he looks like a top 5 goalie.

Why do you hold Mrazek to a higher standard than Howard? When was Howard EVER a top 5 goalie? Mrazek was a top 11 goalie this past year. In his FIRST full year.

So Howie loses his job when Mrazek is a top 5 goalie?

This is what irritates me. This is the same sentiment you see elsewhere. That somehow Howard is the default goalie and Mrazek is only allowed to start if he's standing on his head. It's not enough that he's the best goalie on our team. He must be a TOP 5 GOALIE in the NHL. Howard has had his chance. Now it's time to move on. It's basically that simple. Not personal.

Who did Howard have to beat out for three years to win the job?

What has Howard done for the team in the six years he's been the starter?

Name one other team that gives a goalie like Howard chance after chance like this. I think maybe Carolina and Arizona come to mind. This is the kind of team Detroit is becoming.

People who continuously support Howard think people don't want him for personal reasons. No. They don't want him because he's been .910 .910 and .906 in the past three years. I think people only support him for personal reasons.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad