Eklund Rumor: Jimmy Howard to Boston?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think Eklund is on to something here....

Ben Bishop to Montreal [C5]

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Only makes sense if Boston is sending back other cap dumps (McQuaid + Hayes?).

Yup and McQuaid isn't a need in Detroit he's not much of an upgrade for us, And with the over abundance of wingers that we've neither is Hayes a need. If Holland was to deal Howard it would be to save cap space not take more on with McQuaid and Hayes.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah with Boston paying Tukka Rask $7 million per the last thing that Sweeney can afford is a $5.3 million backup for the next 3 years. Get real no way is Ken Holland dealing Howard to a divisional rival. Eklund can't be serious what credibility he had is really gone now.

:laugh:

Now...

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'm not sure I'd take Jimmy Howard for free, give how we already have a $7mm goalie on the roster.

Ok fine, Tuukka, McQuaid and Hayes for Dylan Larkin and Howard.

Seriously though, not only is this rumor not true, but it doesnt even make sense.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Only way this would happen is if the Bruins suddenly announce Rask is out for most of the year an I don't think their are any real signs of that at the moment.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Only way this would happen is if the Bruins suddenly announce Rask is out for most of the year an I don't think their are any real signs of that at the moment.

If Rask was out for the year his contract doesn't mysteriously disappear. At the beginning of next season we'd have $12mm tied up in goalies.

Only way I would entertain Howard to Boston is if there were 50% retention or Tuukka was traded for some reason.

Honestly though, if Tuuka is out for the year I don't want to try to compete. Give Khudobin the reins, trade for a reliable backup and move on.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
...what? Rask is 4-0 and we have him signed long term. Khudobin has been far from stellar (and he's injured), and Subban/McIntyre aren't ready, but we've gone 2 years with a less than stellar backup G.

We have Rask, Khudobin, Subban, and McIntyre. If anything 2 of them have to go, and one won't be Rask.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Pick a team. Then pick a player.

Combine the two.

There's an article for you. Good old Eklund style. :laugh:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Have to admit though, That this is pretty bad even for Eklund standards.

Pretty sure that last thing that would happen is a Howard to Boston deal.

Unless Rask was to miss the rest of the season or was to get dealt, Then a Howard to Boston deal makes zero sense. But then again when did Eklund ever make sense.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah with Boston paying Tukka Rask $7 million per the last thing that Sweeney can afford is a $5.3 million backup for the next 3 years. Get real no way is Ken Holland dealing Howard to a divisional rival. Eklund can't be serious what credibility he had is really gone now.

I don't think Holland would care who's taking Howard off his plate if he didn't have to take back a crappy contract. But I agree this makes zero sense for Boston.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
They must have legalized marijuana where Eklund is because he's definitely smoking something.

We already are paying Rask $7.5m...why the hell would we trade for a guy making $6m that can't even maintain a starting spot? We surely aren't trading Rask to Detroit since why would they need him with Mrazek in net?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Putting aside the fact that it is Eklund how does Boston fit in his cap? Even with retention

Boston has more cap space than it looks, they are carrying a lot of extra bodies... but next year they wouldn't be able to pay one of Pasta/Spooner if they had Howard without equal or more $$$ going out.

IF they were going to deal Rask in a big blockbuster

IF they liked one of McIntyre (more likely) or Subban a lot and saw them splitting time with Howard

IF Detroit took back at least one bad (but not as bad) contract or retained

Ok, maybe if all those things lined up. But, that Rask return better be effing SWEET if something like that went down.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
...what? Rask is 4-0 and we have him signed long term. Khudobin has been far from stellar (and he's injured), and Subban/McIntyre aren't ready, but we've gone 2 years with a less than stellar backup G.

We have Rask, Khudobin, Subban, and McIntyre. If anything 2 of them have to go, and one won't be Rask.

Are Boston fans getting concerned with Subban's development? I know it takes a while for goalies to develop but he was a 1st rounder 4 years ago and he's still not ready for backup duty? I mean 4 years is about what it took Reimer

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Are Boston fans getting concerned with Subban's development? I know it takes a while for goalies to develop but he was a 1st rounder 4 years ago and he's still not ready for backup duty? I mean 4 years is about what it took Reimer

He was looking real good before he got hurt last year. Started very poor this year after a lot of time off. Got forced into an NHL game with Rask/Khudobin's injury while playing poorly in the AHL. Got creamed. After getting creamed in his one start spot duty last year. I think most are of the opinion that if he works out, great, but no one is counting on it. He still is insanely athletic, but his positioning is behind where you wish it was this far in. He can get away with just being athletic in the AHL... in the NHL... he needs to play smarter.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Concerned about what? He was a bad first round pick by a different regime. Tuuka is 29 not 35. He has plenty of time.

Hopefully were able to replenish the goalie depth in the next few years, that started with Vladar last year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One of the dumbest Eklund rumors ever.

At least make up a team that has goaltending as bad as Howard, like Carolina or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad