Jimmy Howard open to being traded

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I honestly think that unless a good deal comes along we shouldn't trade Howard until next season. For a bunch of reasons.

1) Mrazek has been shown to get overworked. We need a backup that can play those games if Mrazek falters. Not because winning them is important but so Mrazek doesn't get played when he's doing poorly. Goalies can lose their confidence and be ruined forever if they have a long bad stretch. If Mrazek has three bad games we need to sit him so he can find his game again and come back confident. We need a decent backup if we're going to be doing that.

2) Howard's value has literally never been lower. Every year off his contract and he becomes more valuable. He can be sold as reclamation project if his contract wasn't so long. If we wait a year his contract will look better.

3) continuing the value idea, he could adapt to being more of a backup and play well. If he does this his value will spike.

4) we shouldn't trade him during the off-season because most teams will have another way of addressing their goalie situation. If approaching the TDL there's a contender who's starter got hurt we could get a much better deal for Howard.

1. When has he shown this? That's like saying Larkin has shown this, when in reality, all either player has shown was that they need to get accustomed to playing a lot of games. They simply never have before, due to injury, season length, playing backup in the pros as youngsters, etc.

2. Not a bad point but still risky. Maybe every year he becomes more valuable. Or maybe the benefit of his shortened contract is offset by continued deteriorating, or doesn't even look like a starter anymore and destroys the idea that he could rebound, or encounters injury problems, etc.

3. How on god's green earth is solidifying his role as backup going to boost his value?

4. No contending team that already has a bona fide starter is going to trade for a $5M goalie with 2 years left on his deal.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I like the idea of someone like Wideman. Get someone mid-career and semi-competent to help on the blueline that has similar pay and term to Jimmy H. I could get behind that move.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I honestly think that unless a good deal comes along we shouldn't trade Howard until next season. For a bunch of reasons.

1) Mrazek has been shown to get overworked. We need a backup that can play those games if Mrazek falters. Not because winning them is important but so Mrazek doesn't get played when he's doing poorly. Goalies can lose their confidence and be ruined forever if they have a long bad stretch. If Mrazek has three bad games we need to sit him so he can find his game again and come back confident. We need a decent backup if we're going to be doing that.

2) Howard's value has literally never been lower. Every year off his contract and he becomes more valuable. He can be sold as reclamation project if his contract wasn't so long. If we wait a year his contract will look better.

3) continuing the value idea, he could adapt to being more of a backup and play well. If he does this his value will spike.

4) we shouldn't trade him during the off-season because most teams will have another way of addressing their goalie situation. If approaching the TDL there's a contender who's starter got hurt we could get a much better deal for Howard.

I mostly agree with this, but I think with regard to #1 they need to get a predictable rotation in there. Jimmy needs that kind of structure, and to preserve his value shouldn't just get the calendar scraps. That is where I think Blash really harmed both goalies last season.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Jimmy Howard simply is not clutch. If he has the lead he gets so shaky that anything on net is a major scoring chance. I come from a house full of goalies and it doesn't take 3 of us to see how Jimmy's game breaks down in the late stages of the game when he has the lead (or a shutout). He plays very loose when his team is down and might even thrive (stats wise) on a team that is lower in the standings and plays from behind more often. He just isn't good for a team like the Red Wings, who typically get close leads, then hold them with tight defense. Here is my case:

Consecutive starts for Jimmy Howard:

Nov 16 vs OTT - B. Ryan scores at 17:12 of the 3rd period to tie game 3-3 (W 4-3 OT)

Nov 21 vs STL - V. Tarasenko scores at 17:50 of the 3rd period to tie game 3-3 (W 4-3 OT)

Nov 27 vs EDM - I. Pakarinen scores at 8:45 of the 3rd period to tie game 3-3 (W 4-3 OT)

Dec 3 vs AZ - (W 5-1)

Dec 8 vs WSH - A. Ovechkin scores at 10:51 of the 3rd period to tie game 2-2 (L 2-3 SO)

Dec 11 vs NJ - S. Kalinin scores at 14:40 of the 3rd period to tie game 2-2 (L 2-3 OT)

Dec 18 vs VAN - (L 3-4 SO)
Dec 22 vs NJ - (L 3-4)
Dec 29 vs WPG - (L 1-4)
Jan 11 vs LA - (L 2-4)
Jan 23 vs ANA - (L 3-4)
Feb 4 vs FLA - (L 3-6)
Feb 15 vs NYI - (L 1-4)
Feb 18 vs PIT - (L 3-6)
Feb 21 vs NYR - (L 0-1 OT) **Jimmy played awesome in this one, credit where credit is due

He gave up a 3rd period lead 5 of 6 games and the only game he didn't during that stretch was when the offense tore AZ apart with 44 SOG and there was no lead to give up. Then Jimmy lost 9 more games IN A ROW following those 6 games. Doesn't anyone remember these games? The fact that we started Jimmy in the playoffs and the organization and league media backed it makes me feel like i'm taking crazy pills. Petr struggled. Big deal. It's gonna happen sometime in his career so see how he works through it.

IMO Petr Mrazek has the clutch gene. He has won at every level of the game. He rises to the occasion and plays better the more that is on the line. Mrazek's playoff stats: 10 GP 3 shutouts, .931 SV%, 1.88 GAA.

It's time we get a cheaper serviceable backup like we had in The Monster and move Jimmy so he can try to find success elsewhere. The Wings will no doubt need his cap space.

Holland's decision about Howard directly affects Mrazek's next contract. If he stays with the team, then Mrazek's next deal will be a 2 yr bridge deal(I believe a 3 yr. deal would take him to UFA status and we don't want that). Likely in the $2.5-$3 mil per range. If Howard's contract can be moved via a straight up trade(i.e. Howard for Wideman), a trade with salary retained or a buyout(average cap hit of about $1.8 million for 6 yrs.)then Holland can tie up Petr long term.

I would do the maximum of 8 yrs at $6,000,000 per. As the end of this deal, Mrazek will still only be 32 and given that I believe he will be a top 3 tender in the league, his cap hit will be a steal.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think Howard for Dougie Hamilton make sense. Dougie did not live up to the expectation there in Calgary.

:laugh: That'll NEVER happen. Also, Hamilton got better as the year went on on a team that was terrible. A team so bad, that even Giordano struggled.

Also, this thread title always makes me laugh. It's like me saying, "yeah, i'd be open to signing an NHL contract."

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
Bad contracts haunt the Wings until 2020. Holland needs to learn from this. Giving contracts to people until they reach 40 is a bad decision.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Bad contracts haunt the Wings until 2020. Holland needs to learn from this. Giving contracts to people until they reach 40 is a bad decision.

Giving above average talent life time deals is a bad decision.

You have to give elite talent life time contracts. With the maximum length being capped at eight years now, it's not a huge deal. Assuming you sign your franchise talent to their lifetime contract when they are around 28.

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
Giving above average talent life time deals is a bad decision.

You have to give elite talent life time contracts. With the maximum length being capped at eight years now, it's not a huge deal. Assuming you sign your franchise talent to their lifetime contract when they are around 28.

He made Big E as an elite talent. Kornwall had his worst season, and he is not gonna improve next year..

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He made Big E as an elite talent. Kornwall had his worst season, and he is not gonna improve next year..

Kronwall is on a solid deal. Even with the season he had, defenders of his variety go for at least that money. And older, more beat up Dan Boyle went for $4.5 million.

Ericsson was getting the right cap hit, but it was way too long. And Howard, it turns out. Same applies to Abdelkader coming up.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Kronwall is on a solid deal. Even with the season he had, defenders of his variety go for at least that money. And older, more beat up Dan Boyle went for $4.5 million.

Ericsson was getting the right cap hit, but it was way too long. And Howard, it turns out. Same applies to Abdelkader coming up.

but that still makes them bad deals

the cap hit can be great but the term too long=terrible contract
awful cap hit but great term=awful contract

that falls on KHs shoulders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad