Speculation: Jimmy Howard Next Contract

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Retirement is very likely in my opinion. If he does get signed by another team, it will be like a 1 year, 700,000-1.5 a season as this season and his injury history won't net him much. I still think he can play at this level, this season has just been terrible for him and the team also, so he looks a lot worse than he actually is.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Retirement is very likely in my opinion. If he does get signed by another team, it will be like a 1 year, 700,000-1.5 a season as this season and his injury history won't net him much. I still think he can play at this level, this season has just been terrible for him and the team also, so he looks a lot worse than he actually is.
Just old age, he is just as bad as he looks

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
He's done. For the most part, it looks like he's lost the fire, the motivation to play. After a couple of goals, his body language is terrible, and he tends to give up on a lot of save attempts others would at least... well, attempt.

He's been a trouper for the Wings, and I hope he gets out before his legacy is too tarnished.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Depending on how he finishes the year (in regards to health and performance) and what kind of jobs are available, probably anywhere between league minimum and maybe $2.5M. If he's still somewhat serviceable, he could make an affordable stop gap back up for a contender with little cap space as his age would allow him to sign a contract with a low salary and some performance bonuses based on how much he plays.

Howard is probably done ever being considered for a #1 job in the NHL, but despite his rough season thus far, he'd probably make a decent back up for a team that has 3 D pairings of actual NHL level talent and/or an offense capable of scoring 3 or more regulation goals more than once every 3 games. That is unless his health really takes a dive for the rest of the year.

The Red Wings will likely have an opening in goal for next season. That said, Howard doesn't really fit the bill unless they've moved Bernier and replaced him with someone that's under contract until at least the end of 21-22. Howard's never getting another NHL contract longer than 1 year, so if Yzerman makes no other changes in goal and signs Jimmy for 1 year, he goes into the expansion draft and UFA with Howard, Bernier and Pickard all potentially hitting the UFA market. I would imagine he wants an insurance policy in place just in case 2/3 of them aren't in the cards past next year and the usually small goalie market gets further squeezed by 2/3 new goalie jobs in Seattle and/or the teams that lose a goalie in the expansion draft.

I'm not sure what motivation Howard has to leave Detroit on his own. He's spent his entire nearly decade and a half at the pro level in the state of MI, has 3 kids now and IIRC his wife is from the area. The two times he had an opportunity to leave as a UFA, he re-signed before the previous season was even over (In before, "tHaT's BeCaUsE hOlLaNd OvErPaId HiM"), and he never seemed motivated to get out of town when it seemed Mrazek made him a lame duck. Money wise, he made out pretty well on the contract that some Red Wings fans still rake him over the coals for, so I'm not sure if he'd want to chase another decent salary if the Wings decide to move on. As for chasing the Cup, his name isn't on it and he's never made it past the 2nd round as a starter (and likely never will at this point). However, he did get a day with it and a ring after the Wings won in 2008, so maybe that checks the box for him at this point?

If the Wings move on from him as a player, they probably have some kind of organizational role ready for him. Otherwise, I'm not sure what his NHL opportunities will be. If he wants to stay close to home, there probably won't be any openings with the teams closest to Detroit (except maybe Toronto...). He grew up in NY, so maybe he'd be interested in a back up job in the vicinity? (IE NYI, NJ, PHI). FWIW, prior to this season, he's always been stellar against the Rangers, especially at MSG, so maybe he makes sense as a backup for a Metro division team? I do bet Ken Holland would kick the tires as a replacement for Smith though.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
At this point, he isn't even worth another NHL contract. You're talking about a goalie who plays for a historically bad team and yet somehow still makes them worse. I've never seen a Red Wings goalie play so poorly in literally every on-ice aspect from technical to mental game after game. He is every bit as bad as his stats suggest.

Reactions: MBH and RedMenace

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Of course it is some random Detroit we sure starting rumors. I don’t see the CBJ wasting any assets on Howard. The only way that happens is if they are in playoff contention and he is picked up as a 3rd goalie at the trade deadline like Kincaid was last year. Even then he’d have to be essentially given to the CBJ for almost nothing because I don’t see it worth wasting an asset.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's done. For the most part, it looks like he's lost the fire, the motivation to play. After a couple of goals, his body language is terrible, and he tends to give up on a lot of save attempts others would at least... well, attempt.

He's been a trouper for the Wings, and I hope he gets out before his legacy is too tarnished.

Legacy?
He hasn't won a playoff series since 2013. I think he won three in his career.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Of course it is some random Detroit we sure starting rumors. I don’t see the CBJ wasting any assets on Howard. The only way that happens is if they are in playoff contention and he is picked up as a 3rd goalie at the trade deadline like Kincaid was last year. Even then he’d have to be essentially given to the CBJ for almost nothing because I don’t see it worth wasting an asset.

After all the picks Columbus traded away over last draft and the upcoming draft, I don't see them trading away more picks this year. Especially not for a broken-down goalie with some of the worst stats in the league.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
underrated goalie but could never get it down in the playoffs although to be fair the players in front of him were past their prime. Seems like a really nice guy from what interviews I have seen. Honestly I could see a team offer him 1year x 800k or so. I think he wants to win more then just play hockey so not sure which team contending picks him up. Maybe Carolina/Islanders as outsider chance? I know they aren't contenders but they are playoff bound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad