Jimmy Howard keeps winning

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

Howard has won nine or ten straight games for the Grand Rapids Griffins and is something like 22-2-3 in his last 27 starts.
Unbelievable.
He struggled early this year.
But maybe, just maybe, he's ready to start for the Red Wings next year.

1datsyuk3*

TinCanCommunications said:
But maybe, just maybe, he's ready to start for the Red Wings next year.

eh, if anything he could be a potential backup but I highly doubt that b/c it could wind up hurting his development if he doesn't get consistent play....

maybe just a few few call-ups or something...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He's who I wanted the Kings to draft in the second or third round in 2003. Good luck to him!

Jim Boeheim

Sep 20, 2005
Rochester
He played well in his 4 NHL games.
His firt game was his only win which came against LA in November.
1-2 with a 2.99 GAA

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
25+ good games in the AHL doesn't make you an NHL starter. I've seen every game he's played here in grand rapids, and he was pretty much awful to start the season...he didn't look comfortable at all, and is just now in the last 10-15 games showing consistency and confidence. His record is more reflective of how good the team is...he just broke above .900 sv% recently. He needs another year in the AHL, maybe with a few call ups next year.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The word over here is that Stefan Liv is coming over to play for Wings next season. Dont know if he could come straight in the team but would probably also need a season in the AHL to adjust to the smaller rink and all that.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Mallard said:
Jimmy Howard looked slow and without a high hockey IQ when I saw him this year (just once). I think Stefan Liv is a better bet to be the next #1.
i hightly doubt that, the kid was very impressive this year and id almost throw money on him backing up next year and being a started very soon in terms of years

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
zetterberg40 said:
i hightly doubt that, the kid was very impressive this year and id almost throw money on him backing up next year and being a started very soon in terms of years
He's not going to be the back-up next season as it wouldn't help his development. Giving him the reins of the Griffins for a full year playing 50-60+ games would.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
This is what I could see happening.

Stefan Liv signs a three year entry level two-way contact.
Manny Legace signs a two year deal with Detroit.

Jim Howard plays full duty (60+ games) in Grand Rapids with Joey MacDonald (last year of a two year deal) backing him up.

Liv, who is 4 years older than Howard, plays back-up to Legace in Detroit unless he takes the job away from Manny.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Cup4Wings said:
This is what I could see happening.

Stefan Liv signs a three year entry level two-way contact.
Manny Legace signs a two year deal with Detroit.

Jim Howard plays full duty (60+ games) in Grand Rapids with Joey MacDonald (last year of a two year deal) backing him up.

Liv, who is 4 years older than Howard, plays back-up to Legace in Detroit unless he takes the job away from Manny.

Liv could be an ok back up. Nothing more.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mallard said:
Jimmy Howard looked slow and without a high hockey IQ when I saw him this year (just once). I think Stefan Liv is a better bet to be the next #1.

How can you get a read on a player by watching him once?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
norrisnick said:
He's not going to be the back-up next season as it wouldn't help his development. Giving him the reins of the Griffins for a full year playing 50-60+ games would.

playing 20 or so games a year or maybe 30 wouldnt be bad at all for him. Hes not going to be starter in detroit for a while as long as manny keeps playing good and the kid is basically already NHL ready, hes going to have to backup first to show he can take it before its given to him

A Good Flying Bird*

Rabid Ranger said:
How can you get a read on a player by watching him once?

Dude, if you'd watched Howard with Detroit, you'd know. He wasn't going side to side very well. He was playing way too deep in his net and leaving the kind of holes that NHL goalies can leave.

Granted, they may have been fixed in GR. But he was not ready for the NHL when he was here last.

A Good Flying Bird*

Vikke said:
Stefan Liv is terrible.

Terrible?
Wasn't he Sweden's third goalie on the Olympic team?
Didn't have four shutouts in a seven game series in the SEL finals two years ago?
Is this another example of Swedes not liking a guy because he's not a true Swede? Or do you have legitimate gripes about him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dude, if you'd watched Howard with Detroit, you'd know. He wasn't going side to side very well. He was playing way too deep in his net and leaving the kind of holes that NHL goalies can leave.

Granted, they may have been fixed in GR. But he was not ready for the NHL when he was here last.

My position stands. I don't think you can get an accurate read on a player through one viewing.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't think Howard is ready yet. He needs a full year as GR starter. He is finally showing some consistency and I think another year developing will be good for him. I want him to be able to come up and realistically challenge as a starter not just play backup. I'd rather see Liv or Joey Mac as the backup next year. I do think Howard will be the Wings starter in the future.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Terrible?
Didn't have four shutouts in a seven game series in the SEL finals two years ago?
Is this another example of Swedes not liking a guy because he's not a true Swede? Or do you have legitimate gripes about him.

Not a true Swede? I know that he was not born next door to me but I would say he is a Swedish as one can be and even if he wasnt who cares. I just dont like him. Play off times here in Sweden and he is in the way of my team reaching the final... Damn it. :madfire:
He is an ok goalie, maybe more then ok. He mixes the good with the bad. Can be awesome for a long series of games and then let in silly goals. Very quick and agile. Not a Lundqvist type of goalie but could probably have a Tommy Salo type of NHL carrer, and that aint really bad. (I just to a few Swedish goalies as examples not that I dont like goalies who are not "true" Swedes...)

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Terrible?

Another example of what? I couldn't care less if he was born in Uganda, Sweden or Poland.
It's true he had an amazing final series two years ago, but he's gotten worse since. He's terribly inconsistent.

And indeed he was the third goalie, for some magic reason he was picked ahead of Johan Hedberg. He'll be a good backup goalie, no more.

A Good Flying Bird*

Vikke said:
Another example of what? I couldn't care less if he was born in Uganda, Sweden or Poland.
It's true he had an amazing final series two years ago, but he's gotten worse since. He's terribly inconsistent.

And indeed he was the third goalie, for some magic reason he was picked ahead of Johan Hedberg. He'll be a good backup goalie, no more.

A good backup goalie is a good asset to have, no?
I'd be real happy if Liv proved to be a good NHL backup.

Terrible isn't the word I'd use to describe someone who I think is a good NHL backup/

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mallard said:
You tool. That's why I said I've only seen him play once. So that you can take it for what its worth.

That's not what you said. You said that he looked slow, with a low hockey IQ and that Stefan Liv was more likely to be a #1. Like I said, I don't think you can come to that conclusion through one viewing. No need to call me names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad