News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'll wait to see when/if he gets extended and for what kind of contract before I make any determination.

I would take a cheap Howard for a short term.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I agree with the general sentiment that having Jimmy Howard on the team isn't a bad thing at all, barring a bloated contract.

If it is 3 years or less at a $4M or less cap hit, it would be a solid move.

Have to wait and see what happens here.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm fine with it if it's for reasonable money and at most 2 more seasons. Realistically in the general area of 2 x $4M makes sense. I'd say lower, but I have to think Jimmy's agent points to the fact that the team has a $3M #2 and feels there should be some separation.

The Bernier signing is still a head-scratcher for me, especially if they are ready to extend Howard this early. I don't mean adding the player per se. Bernier makes sense for a #2 or maybe a guy that can challenge for a limited #1 role, but I'm starting think they accidentally faxed over the contract they hoped to sign Hutton to and had to stick with it.

That said, IMO having an affordable tandem of known quantities for the next two years is probably the safest way to go from an asset management standpoint. Probably wouldn't be the best idea to trade future assets for a guy or sign someone long term for big money while they're still rebuilding. At the same time, unless Howard drops off tremendously, they'll be in a better spot goalie wise in the team starts to turn it around, as opposed to mailing it in having Bernier (who clearly isn't a starter) and some cheap warm body at the position.

I do however agree that they should wait to see how the season unfolds before making this decision.

This thread's kind of funny though. Posts downing Howard over his injury probability (even though he's only missed one game since he returned from an injury in March 2017), followed shortly by suggestions that they go after Varlamov (who has missed 74 of a possible 170 games the past two season with various ailments).... :huh:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I dont get the Bernier signing st all now... if Howard gets 4 or 5 mil.. that's once again a large chunk for 2 goalies on a rebuilding team... you need to eventually bring in some youth in that area and allow them to develop. A guy like Robin Lehner would have been fine as he has potential still.. someone in the mid 20s. I dont get this move at all with Bernier already signed.. not saying Howie isnt a decent goalie. Just dont see how it fits our plans in any form.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I dont get the Bernier signing st all now... if Howard gets 4 or 5 mil.. that's once again a large chunk for 2 goalies on a rebuilding team... you need to eventually bring in some youth in that area and allow them to develop. A guy like Robin Lehner would have been fine as he has potential still.. someone in the mid 20s. I dont get this move at all with Bernier already signed.. not saying Howie isnt a decent goalie. Just dont see how it fits our plans in any form.
With Ken Holland this is business as usual

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As long as it is a short term 2-3 mil deal, I will be ok with it. Don't give him any NTC or NMC either.
I'm honestly not sure Holland is capable of that.

I'm not sure what prompted Mlive to write this article now. Though the mention of a trade with LA is at least an interesting idea. With Quick out sending them Jimmy would certainly put us ahead in the tank race.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
No goaltending prospect is going to be ready for 2-3 years

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If its for 2 years, and 3.5-4 mil per year then whatever. Anything more will be terrible.

Rinne just signed a 2 year, 10 million extension, and Rinne is considerably better than Howard now, and has had the better career by a lot.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What should happen:
Trade Jimmy @ TDL for a 4th? (helps the tank) & target Varlamov in UFA '19. If by late June 2019 we can't verbally agree to terms with Varlamov (or a comparable UFA G), then resign Jimmy 2yrs.x $3-4M maximum.

What will likely happen: 3-4yrs x ~$5M w/NTC...the 'ole KH special.

No way he gets a better contract than Rinne got. If he does, then I will seriously question Holland's sanity, not that I haven't questioned it yet.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm honestly not sure Holland is capable of that.

I'm not sure what prompted Mlive to write this article now. Though the mention of a trade with LA is at least an interesting idea. With Quick out sending them Jimmy would certainly put us ahead in the tank race.

Someone needs to hit Kenny with an oar every time he hands out a NTC/NMC to anyone that isn't an Ovechkin level player.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
If its for 2 years, and 3.5-4 mil per year then whatever. Anything more will be terrible.

Rinne just signed a 2 year, 10 million extension, and Rinne is considerably better than Howard now, and has had the better career by a lot.

Good point bringing up Rinne, I'd think that puts Jimmy around 3 mil (probably not less than Bernier unfortunately).

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Two years is ok I guess, anything over that ridiculous (unless the caphit is extremely low). Would rather roll wuth Säteri/Bernier moving forward.

Makes the Bernier signing ever worse if it transpires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad