News Article: Jimmy Howard extension coming (Maybe/Maybe not)

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This is nothing new. They already said before the season started that they would likely resign Howard if he played strong.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Hope Holland is smart about this, 2 years under 5 mil (no NTC/NMCs). Jimmy has played really well, Bernier not so much...

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
not really a big deal if it's only a couple years. wings have no one in the system even close to being ready

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
At this point, any goaltender we put in net is going to face 35 or more shots a game. Howard has kept us in a lot of them.

Until our team stops allowing a firing range on our net every game it's not going to make a big difference who's starting. I just want the flexibility in a couple years to look elsewhere if this rebuild starts going quicker than we imagined. No deals longer than 3 years please.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Given the state of the team a two year contract at any term will not kill the team. It's Holland so who knows though. What I do know is to fully expect a lot of triggered people when we find out the details no matter the contract.

But I think he's too good for a tank when healthy and should be traded and just roll Bernier and a crappy backup, just imho.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Given the state of the team a two year contract at any term will not kill the team. It's Holland so who knows though. What I do know is to fully expect a lot of triggered people when we find out the details no matter the contract.

But I think he's too good for a tank when healthy and should be traded and just roll Bernier and a crappy backup, just imho.

I don't agree with that, but that's because I don't agree with tanking. I'd rather have a good goalie who can keep you in games so your young assets can at least be playing competitive hockey while they're sucking and you're getting assets. I don't think it's right or smart to only have trash goalies on the roster because that's how you get players to hate each other and/or you get a really **** defense to stay because then it isn't the defense's fault they give up goals, it is the goalie's.

Reactions: KJoe88

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm glad Holland is doing me a solid and justifying my username once again.

Why? Because they're interested in keeping around a good goalie who is very likely to take a paycut because he's 35 and who knows what the deal is with the roster talent?

God, I hate how people react here. I'd rather have Jimmy Howard at 2.5M than ANY goalie on the FA market at that price. Hell, given equal stuff this year, if Howard was a FA and we had signed him to a 3x3 contract this year, that's the deal I would have thought was the best goalie deal on the market.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
What should happen:
Trade Jimmy @ TDL for a 4th? (helps the tank) & target Varlamov in UFA '19. If by late June 2019 we can't verbally agree to terms with Varlamov (or a comparable UFA G), then resign Jimmy 2yrs.x $3-4M maximum.

What will likely happen: 3-4yrs x ~$5M w/NTC...the 'ole KH special.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Reasonable move but it makes me wonder why they felt the need to give bernier a 3 year contract if they were planning on bringing Howard back for a few more years anyway.
They weren't. Bernier is a backup plan if Jimmy played awful this season. They said from the start, they would resign Jimmy if he played well. Who else was going to be our backup?

Reactions: 14ari13

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Regardless of my opinion of Howard, there is zero need to extend him right now. Let the season play out, and reassess both the team in general and him specifically as the trade deadline approaches.

Jimmy might be just fine for one more contract, depending on how things go. But don't pull an Abdelkader and bid against yourself several months before you need to.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Statistically, Howard has been probably the 22nd best starter in the league for last 3 seasons.

22nd highest caphit for goalies is currently 4.25M .

I could handle that short-term, but I would still go hard after Bobrovsky.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I actually understand why you would bring him back for 2-3 years but like someone mentioned...

Are Wings really considering not trying to move him at all for anything? They aren't much with or without him and if they can get some return on him at this age why wouldn't they do that?

Idk if Red Wings could get someone as good in FA like Howard but they could get another back-up type goalie I think and roll with Bernier/FA signing.

I don't care enough either way to get upset but I just would think a rebuilding team would look to move someone like Howard before re-upping him when the deadline hasn't even passed.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He's going to get hurt at some point. When he returns from the injury his play will be awful. I'm not sure how people forget this is his usual pattern. Why would there be any talk of an extension at this point in the season?
It's almost like there's an established track record, and rushing into an extension now would be premature...

superthumb.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad