Rumor: Jimmy Howard could be traded to Columbus

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Second year is problematic. Kekäläinen could already have a solution for next season, but usually short-term fixes are liked to be on final year. I don't mind if Bernier goes, either, but I think Kekäläinen is as smart as Yzerman to be interested of next summer goalie UFA class (and avoids 2-seasons of Bernier).

Giving something like a 4th round pick is basicly nothing.

Korpisalo is injured and they need some experience there.

There's also that Georgiev-rumor now in the air, maybe he is the guy who the Jackets trade for.

At $3M, Bernier's second year is hardly a problem. Very easy to move.

Reactions: kliq

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The only thing I don't like about Bernier is he is kind of a stop gap placeholder. He is not going to slot in as our future starter. I would rather use both NHL slots to role the dice on some prospects and see if anyone comes out as solid. Bernier checks the box that we have a goalie and that is it. Let's get two sink or swim guys and if they both sink repeat in 2021

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The only thing I don't like about Bernier is he is kind of a stop gap placeholder. He is not going to slot in as our future starter. I would rather use both NHL slots to role the dice on some prospects and see if anyone comes out as solid. Bernier checks the box that we have a goalie and that is it. Let's get two sink or swim guys and if they both sink repeat in 2021

If you want to get better, you need proven goalies.

It's always been said on any GM book, that you need proven defence, so the kid goaltender could grow or vise versa. Proven goalie for the kid defence to let them make mistakes, but not kill the team. That's how you buy some time to see if some kid goalie is even near to pan out. Currently, it's obvious we don't have any in any near future. And we don't have proven defence either. It's easier to get the proven goalie to match with our current situation.

2021 summer is a good UFA market for goalies and so is 2020. At first we replace Howard with somebody and at 2021 replace Bernier with somebody and never look back.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I would trade Howard on a conditional 7th on the condition that Howard stays healthy and pitches nothing but shutouts the rest of the season. So yeah basically you want Howard, take him.

I think the best thing Howard could do for his career is find a team that will play him as a backup and accept the contract fitting to that role.

I agree and disagree. I agree that sending Howard for a conditional pick is a great idea, but I wouldn't put the ceiling as a 7th.

I would do something like:

A conditional 3rd if Howard gets the team into the playoffs and gets x amount of regular season wins, wins a series and gets all 4 playoff wins.

A conditional 4th if Howard gets the team into the playoffs and plays in x games, and gets x wins.

Nothing if he gets under X wins.

This isn't exact, but whats a team got to loose. He sucks, they give up nothing. If he can stay healthy and play motivated, its a win-win.

Similar to the Mrazek trade with Philly, just have a lower floor due to the injury concerns.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If we want to get better, you need proven goalies. It's always been said on any GM book, that you need proven defence, so the kid goaltender could grow or vise versa. Proven goalie for the kid defence to let them make mistakes, but not kill the team. That's how you buy some time to see if some kid goalie is even near to pan out. Currently, it's obvious we don't have them in any near future. And we don't have proven defence either. It's easier to get the proven goalie to match with our current situation.

2021 summer is a good UFA market for goalies and so is 2020. At first we replace Howard with somebody and at 2021 replace Bernier with somebody and never look back.

I agree with all of that except for one thing, we don't need to get better. Next season will be this season 2.0 and goal tending doesn't get much more mediocre than Howard and Bernier. There is no reason the net can't be a revolving door of cheap goalies until someone sticks. Putting in a veteran solution buys us nothing and misses the opportunity to do tryouts. If we want mediocrity in net you can pick that up any time the core solidifies and is ready to rock. In the mean time use every minute of ice time to look for goalie of the future just like the commrie look.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Howard has 1.1M performance bonus if reaching the playoffs.

I don't think you can get an extra incentive of him getting the playoffs, that goes to the new team as paying extra.

But winning a playoff round (or 4 playoff wins) could do some difference.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I agree with all of that except for one thing, we don't need to get better. Next season will be this season 2.0 and goal tending doesn't get much more mediocre than Howard and Bernier.

I think our intentional losing will end after this season.

We definitely need to get better. Tanking for another year, when the 2021 draft class does not have any interesting forward talent at Top5 (Aatu Räty only one), is just a waste of time. That's a draft full of equal defencemen.

https://www.tsn.ca/defencemen-dominate-craig-button-s-early-look-at-2021-nhl-draft-class-1.1394203

Our direction is up. Dead weight coming out of cap and you can add real value on the roster. The swing will happen fast. Like Colorado fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't see it as a make or break move I just don't see the point in locking up a contract and slot for someone that has no future in the organization. Its not intentional losing its just using all your slots to find talent when winning is neither an option nor expected. As long as the contract is 1 or 2 years so they can be dumped when the real roster is here then its fine, I just see locking up that roster space for no benefit as a waste. If nothing works out and you just need a plug in 3-4 seasons the same options will be available.

Pretty much my same philosophy with Filpulla have a young guy sink or swim, no real benefit to his signing he just took up cap space.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Howard for Bemstrom. Deal. Right now. At least that's what the article has suggested... :naughty:

Red Wings would be lucky to get anything for him. I'll take a trade literally for a conditional 7th rdp if Blue Jackets make playoffs.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah I agree doesn't seem like a credible rumour at all. They just mention how it looks like the Wings and Jackets are nearing a trade, where are they getting that from, when no real insiders have reported anything? If they have a source they could at least say as much. The way they did it makes it very clickbaity.
Yeah that site isn't credible at all, I've seen other possible deals on the same site. Pretty much all laughable.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
my speculation = yzerman asked helm if he would be interested in being moved to a contender that asked about him and its what has lit a fire under helm recently . ' hello steve this is kenny ' , it'd be the classic kenny 'dollar store' trade were he spends peanuts in effort to boost the club for playoffs . imagine helm and aa's wheel (to go with mcdavids) along with greens shot from the back end in edmonton , im still predicting a big trade with the oil

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Likely clickbait. I saw that a few weeks ago on another clickbait site. On an unlikely related note, NYR recalled Shesterkin, as Lundquist is still sick, but their beat reporter Larry Brooks claims his ailment doesn't factor into the call-up, fueling trade specualtion. Rumor: Rangers call up may have been a precursor to a goalie trade.

EDIT: I'd do 2nd+B-prospect for Georgiev now. If they want AA, maybe they add a 3rd? to Georgiev. We have to stabilize our team & Bernier isn't enough. We can't keep getting our teeth kicked in, losing culture, morale, fans, ticket & merchandise sales, ratings, RFA/UFA's will want to leave or not sign here and/or demand premium term/$ & NTC/NMC clauses...none of those are enviable. We have some nice pieces that need help, not more selling off (except AA/maybe Cholo, Hirose).

Larkin/Mantha/Bertuzzi/Fabbri/Zadina/'20 1st
Hronek/Seider/DDK/Nemeth

Keep the players listed above, when healthy, we're not terrible, just need a few more pieces.
I guess the question is DDK going to be able to stay healthy. Backs are finicky.

Reactions: Snuggs

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Columbus goalie Merzlikins let's first shot go in against LAK...

They'll need reinforcements.

He won that game stopping 35 of 37 shots.

Since he's been starting, Elvis has won 4 of 5 games with a 2.00 GAA and .940 sv%.

Just thought I'd let people know ol' Howard probably isn't too appealing right now.

Reactions: 14ari13

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Still think Howard could turn it around on a defensive minded team that has a solid offense to counter any soft goals he gives up

Basically, he’s done at the pro level. Give him a front office job after the season.

Reactions: 14ari13

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I think the hindrance here would be what it would cost to get two prospects that are worthy of getting "sink or swim" gambles at the NHL level. I'd be all for it as well, but the Wings don't have any prospect goalies anywhere near ready to sink or swim at the NHL level. Larsson can't even swim in the AHL, likewise for Fulcher in the ECHL and every other goalie prospect they have isn't at the NA pro level yet. So they'd have to get a couple in trades or compete with other teams to sign an undrafted Euro goalie that might be ready. I can't imagine decent goalie prospects would be cheap to trade for, so they might be better off keeping Bernier as a stop gap and give one young goalie a shot at the NHL level, and then see where there at when Bernier is a UFA after 2021.

There's also that Georgiev-rumor now in the air, maybe he is the guy who the Jackets trade for.

IMO, an option with longterm potential like Georgiev makes little sense for Columbus. They've seemed very high on this Merzlikins kid and he's finally paying off in Korpisalo's absence.

Bernier doesn't make much sense for them either as they'd have to move someone when he's healthy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He won that game stopping 35 of 37 shots.

Since he's been starting, Elvis has won 4 of 5 games with a 2.00 GAA and .940 sv%.

Just thought I'd let people know ol' Howard probably isn't too appealing right now.

You need another goalie for the season.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
my speculation = yzerman asked helm if he would be interested in being moved to a contender that asked about him and its what has lit a fire under helm recently . ' hello steve this is kenny ' , it'd be the classic kenny 'dollar store' trade were he spends peanuts in effort to boost the club for playoffs . imagine helm and aa's wheel (to go with mcdavids) along with greens shot from the back end in edmonton , im still predicting a big trade with the oil
I can see Helm or Green, but I don’t think Holland would want Athanasiou, no matter how good he’d look with McDavid. That contract holdout seemed to irk the brass a lot.

Fedorov and Datsyuk could get away with it due to their talent. AA? Not so much

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Honestly it would be too good to be true. Fun to imagine though, Red Wings trading all of their 'talent' minus Larkin, Bert, Hronek and Zadina to EDM in exchange for all of EDM's draft picks and some plugs to help balance out the $$$. Would make EDM competitive enough to keep McDavid from demanding a trade and would speed the Wings' rebuild by being able to draft an entire new team. All it needs to happen is some desperation, some balls and a willing third team to take on some dead cap$ in exchange for some free deep dish coupons to Little Caesars.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
All it needs to happen is some desperation, some balls and a willing third team to take on some dead cap$ in exchange for some free deep dish coupons to Little Caesars.
Tell Kenny we have an entire vault of shiny gold coins to entice him...

5769a5197280b_55412b.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad