Rumor: Jimmy Howard could be traded to Columbus

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I speculated this last year. Columbus is the nearest place to be close for his family and has still some playoff hopes.

Their black-up level starter Korpisalo just got injured lately.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah I agree doesn't seem like a credible rumour at all. They just mention how it looks like the Wings and Jackets are nearing a trade, where are they getting that from, when no real insiders have reported anything? If they have a source they could at least say as much. The way they did it makes it very clickbaity.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Really seems like the headline and article are trying their hardest to make it seem like they have a source and actual things are happening, but carefully choosing their words and when you really break down what they are saying it comes down to "Red wings have goalie. Blue Jackets goalie injured. Maybe they can make trade?"

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
Really seems like the headline and article are trying their hardest to make it seem like they have a source and actual things are happening, but carefully choosing their words and when you really break down what they are saying it comes down to "Red wings have goalie. Blue Jackets goalie injured. Maybe they can make trade?"
It does seem quite clickbaity

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would trade Howard on a conditional 7th on the condition that Howard stays healthy and pitches nothing but shutouts the rest of the season. So yeah basically you want Howard, take him.

I think the best thing Howard could do for his career is find a team that will play him as a backup and accept the contract fitting to that role.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Red Wings: Jimmy Howard Could Be Headed To Columbus
I don’t think this will happen I think he will stay with Detroit and retire after this season

we probably couldn’t get more than a 3rd or a prospect for Howard.

The article you linked to is a pile of shit.
No sources. No nothing. For all we know it's the non-violent fantasy of some 4channer.

Realistically, nobody wants Jimmy Howard. You have two goalies on the same team. One is performing like he always does. The other is suddenly among the worst goalies in the league.

If Columbus wanted a goalie, they'd want Bernier. Cheaper. Has another year.
More importantly, better.

Columbus would be absolutely crazy to trade away a pick for Bernier, let alone Howard.
They traded away so many picks last year and are still down several picks this year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah I agree doesn't seem like a credible rumour at all. They just mention how it looks like the Wings and Jackets are nearing a trade, where are they getting that from, when no real insiders have reported anything? If they have a source they could at least say as much. The way they did it makes it very clickbaity.

Agreed.
If you're gonna speculate, say you're speculating.
If you're gonna report you have inside info, say that.

Reactions: Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Columbus wanted a goalie, they'd want Bernier. Cheaper. Has another year.

Second year is problematic. Kekäläinen could already have a solution for next season, but usually short-term fixes are liked to be on final year. I don't mind if Bernier goes, either, but I think Kekäläinen is as smart as Yzerman to be interested of next summer goalie UFA class (and avoids 2-seasons of Bernier).

Giving something like a 4th round pick is basicly nothing.

Korpisalo is injured and they need some experience there.

There's also that Georgiev-rumor now in the air, maybe he is the guy who the Jackets trade for.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
In all honesty there is no reason to trade Howard just to trade him. If the red wings top brass want to hook him up with a favorable situation before he hits UFA I am good with that. If we can get a 4th for him I am good with that. If he just plays out his contract I am good with that.

The only thing I am not good with is if he starts again next season on a starters contract. Not good with that.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Likely clickbait. I saw that a few weeks ago on another clickbait site. On an unlikely related note, NYR recalled Shesterkin, as Lundquist is still sick, but their beat reporter Larry Brooks claims his ailment doesn't factor into the call-up, fueling trade specualtion. Rumor: Rangers call up may have been a precursor to a goalie trade.

EDIT: I'd do 2nd+B-prospect for Georgiev now. If they want AA, maybe they add a 3rd? to Georgiev. We have to stabilize our team & Bernier isn't enough. We can't keep getting our teeth kicked in, losing culture, morale, fans, ticket & merchandise sales, ratings, RFA/UFA's will want to leave or not sign here and/or demand premium term/$ & NTC/NMC clauses...none of those are enviable. We have some nice pieces that need help, not more selling off (except AA/maybe Cholo, Hirose).

Larkin/Mantha/Bertuzzi/Fabbri/Zadina/'20 1st
Hronek/Seider/DDK/Nemeth

Keep the players listed above, when healthy, we're not terrible, just need a few more pieces.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't believe that for a second.

Could see Nill or Holland signing him as a backup or something. He's their guy.

I meant on the wings lol, if he gets a starter gig somewhere else I would be beyond happy for they guy. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here :)

Reactions: wingfan

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3