Player Discussion Jimmy Hayes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
In the interviews I have seen with Hayes he does not strike me as stupid, he has to realize this is most likely his last shot in the NHL and after his buyout or dumping to Providence next year the NHL contracts probably won't be there the following off season. It's either Europe or the AHL trying to get a team interested, and if a team that hasn't made the playoffs in your two years here, didn't make the playoffs in your time in Florida and Chicago bailed ASAP, there are not going to be many teams banging on the Hayes door with a contract in hand.

Maybe he has made all the money he needs and is content and will just drift off, his lack of effort on a daily basis doesn't offer a counter argument to that, or maybe he decides that he likes the money and even if he can't handle the "pressure" of playing at home (here's a tip, hit, fight and play hard and lack of production would be overlooked by many, be lazy, soft and unproductive you're going to hear about it) maybe he realizes he will need too play hard and put an real effort in on every shift to have an offer when this joke of a deal by Sweeney is done, the multi year, multi million dollar deals are done.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
In the interviews I have seen with Hayes he does not strike me as stupid, he has to realize this is most likely his last shot in the NHL and after his buyout or dumping to Providence next year the NHL contracts probably won't be there the following off season. It's either Europe or the AHL trying to get a team interested, and if a team that hasn't made the playoffs in your two years here, didn't make the playoffs in your time in Florida and Chicago bailed ASAP, there are not going to be many teams banging on the Hayes door with a contract in hand.

Maybe he has made all the money he needs and is content and will just drift off, his lack of effort on a daily basis doesn't offer a counter argument to that, or maybe he decides that he likes the money and even if he can't handle the "pressure" of playing at home (here's a tip, hit, fight and play hard and lack of production would be overlooked by many, be lazy, soft and unproductive you're going to hear about it) maybe he realizes he will need too play hard and put an real effort in on every shift to have an offer when this joke of a deal by Sweeney is done, the multi year, multi million dollar deals are done.
Agree that he's not stupid. He does, after all, have a degree from Boston College. ;)

There is one other option, however, swapping his contract for another of equal value. Joe Colbourne has been mentioned before. Might be a better fit here. Just an example of one who has underperformed, or not met expectations and has same contract value.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Man Connolly is finding his game over in Washington too, like rubbing salt in the wound we are stuck with the lesser player getting paid more than twice as much...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Man Connolly is finding his game over in Washington too, like rubbing salt in the wound we are stuck with the lesser player getting paid more than twice as much...

Scored his 12th last night in his 41st game. That's 24 over a full 82 game season.

And while on the 3rd line with minimal PP time.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Scored his 12th last night in his 41st game. That's 24 over a full 82 game season.

And while on the 3rd line with minimal PP time.

I was one of the few that liked Connolly. Didn't understand why Sweeney didn't qualify him making him a UFA and lost him for nothing. Another not so great Sweeney moment...

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I was one of the few that liked Connolly. Didn't understand why Sweeney didn't qualify him making him a UFA and lost him for nothing. Another not so great Sweeney moment...

Connolly was a Chia guy while Hayes was brought in by Sweeney. He chose to keep the guy he brought in, which was unfortunately the wrong guy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Connolly over Hayes but in 76 games with Boston Connolly scored every 8.4 games and with Washington it's 3.4.

Boston 8.4 vs Capitals 3.4

I blame

A. Neely
B. Sweeney
C. Julien
D. Connolly
E. none of above

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Bruins have played 56 games the guys you have mentioned have not been in the lineup due to injury, scratch etc. Keep your criticism to the guys playing consistently. You can't sit for 7 or 8 games come in and be phenomenal out there. Colon Miller getting a regular chance looks good time for them to give Joe Morrow a chance also.
Name Pos GP
Matt Beleskey, LW 32
Jimmy Hayes, RW 41
Danton Heinen, C 8

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I was always a Connolly fan, didn't like it when he got bumped for Stempniak, didn't like it when he got scratched for Hayes and Ferraro, really didn't like it when he wasn't qualified.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I was always a Connolly fan, didn't like it when he got bumped for Stempniak, didn't like it when he got scratched for Hayes and Ferraro, really didn't like it when he wasn't qualified.

The coach scratched him

Claude went with Ferrao & Hayes and was coming back

Logical he's not returning

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Can't pin in on Sweeney. Dude shows goal scoring ability at every level on every team except of course the Bruins. Sure he should have been qualified but he would have been barely used here. He's a RW and day one or UFA they signed Backes and Riley Nash.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Can't pin in on Sweeney. Dude shows goal scoring ability at every level on every team except of course the Bruins. Sure he should have been qualified but he would have been barely used here. He's a RW and day one or UFA they signed Backes and Riley Nash.

Why not?

Honestly he was the one who decided to not extend him a qualifying offer. Sweeney's decision.

Same as it was Sweeney's decision to offer a contract to Riley Nash.

Or was it Neely's? I'm confused.

He didn't have great production, I get that part. But he was fairly consistently physical, he didn't rack up assists but he made plays, was decent along the wall, he could get it out and onto the sticks of 63 and 37 who could do more with it.

You look at the role Backes served last night with 63 and 37, it was largely similar.

He could of helped this team. He is and was a superior player to both Hayes and Nash. It's not like Nash really outproduced him in Carolina last year. The only thing Nash had going for him over Connolly was face-off ability. And given the amount of time Nash has seen in the middle, and the cost to sign them, they could of had both and used both. Even as a depth piece he could of been useful.

Anyways it's in the past now.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I had zero problem not tendering him but also would not be surprised if he pulled a Patrick Eaves at some point and be a 20 goal scorer

Not everyone can play for Claude and that's not necessarily a bad thing

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why not?

Honestly he was the one who decided to not extend him a qualifying offer. Sweeney's decision.

He didn't have great production, I get that part. But he was fairly consistently physical, he didn't rack up assists but he made plays, was decent along the wall, he could get it out and onto the sticks of 63 and 37 who could do more with it.

You look at the role Backes served last night with 63 and 37, it was largely similar.

He could of helped this team. He is and was a superior player to both Hayes and Nash. It's not like Nash really outproduced him in Carolina last year. The only thing Nash had going for him over Connolly was face-off ability. And given the amount of time Nash has seen in the middle, and the cost to sign them, they could of had both and used both. Even as a depth piece he could of been useful.

This is on the coach to me 100 %

Why would the GM bring back a player who the coach has shown little confidence in

I get many of you absolutely hate hate hate Sweeney but you have lost any semblance of even the obvious

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Bruins have played 56 games the guys you have mentioned have not been in the lineup due to injury, scratch etc. Keep your criticism to the guys playing consistently. You can't sit for 7 or 8 games come in and be phenomenal out there. Colon Miller getting a regular chance looks good time for them to give Joe Morrow a chance also.
Name Pos GP
Matt Beleskey, LW 32
Jimmy Hayes, RW 41
Danton Heinen, C 8

I am so immature. :laugh::laugh:

Glad he is playing better.

Still say No to Morrow.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Why not?

Because he was crap here.

I agree he could help the "Butch Cassidy" Bruins, but he was garbage with Julien. Not even saying it's his fault, I think it's a case of just not fitting into Claude's system. he played over 500 minutes of even strength time with Bergeron and scored a whopping 4 goals. The Bruins had Pasta, Backes (obvious target) and Hayes as their top 3 RW.

Nash was better on Carolina than he is here and can play center, so I'm sure that figured in. Hayes also had 2 years at 2.2 per left, so it's not like it was apples and apples.

I think I missed all the we should have signed Brett Connolly over Riley Nash posts in July. There is no way IMO he is remotely doing what he is in Washington had he stayed here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is on the coach to me 100 %

Why would the GM bring back a player who the coach has shown little confidence in

I get many of you absolutely hate hate hate Sweeney but you have lost any semblance of even the obvious

I didn't get it with Claude.

In comes Stempniak and Connolly goes from the 1st line, to the 4th. Never inbetween. Soon enough he was out of the line-up for Ferraro, another guy let go.

And if it was all about the coach having no confidence in a RFA-to-be, why then did Sweeney make a qualifier to Joe Morrow?

That being said, if you want to pin some of the blame on Claude, I won't disagree at all. And some of the blame is on Connolly as well. I'm not taking him off the hook.

I just thought it was a poor evaluation of talent, probably because I thought he had some and Sweeney and Claude seemingly didn't.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't get it with Claude.

In comes Stempniak and Connolly goes from the 1st line, to the 4th. Never inbetween. Soon enough he was out of the line-up for Ferraro, another guy let go.

And if it was all about the coach having no confidence in a RFA-to-be, why then did Sweeney make a qualifier to Joe Morrow?

That being said, if you want to pin some of the blame on Claude, I won't disagree at all. And some of the blame is on Connolly as well. I'm not taking him off the hook.

I just thought it was a poor evaluation of talent, probably because I thought he had some and Sweeney and Claude seemingly didn't.

Chiarelli traded for Connolly

Claude coached him and buried him once Ferraro came including scratching him

Sweeney screwed up bringing Claude back against Neely wishes

Maybe DS keeps IF Claude goes but if keeping Claude retaining Connolly makes no sense

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Dude Connolly was the right fit for March and Berg. Both played exceptionally well with Connolly. They meshed well. The problem was Connolly was coming back from a wrist surgery and missed considerable time between Tampa injury and bruin freak training camp injury. Like some here, I saw great potential.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Chiarelli traded for Connolly

Claude coached him and buried him once Ferraro came including scratching him

Sweeney screwed up bringing Claude back against Neely wishes

Maybe DS keeps IF Claude goes but if keeping Claude retaining Connolly makes no sense

The part of Connolly being a Chia-guy I agree with.

But you never answered the question.

If bringing Connolly back with Claude still here made no sense.

Why did he bring back Joe Morrow? Because Claude certainly had no confidence in him either.

I could say the same with Colin Miller, and Ryan Spooner the year prior. None of these guys had Claude's confidence. All have been RFAs under Sweeney.

Look I don't hate Sweeney. He's done very little to inspire confidence he knows what he is doing. That's just my opinion. He's an ex-player who got a job in hockey after his playing days because, well, he's an ex-player. And his former Harvard teammate was in a position of power to offer him a job. That's normally how the NHL works.

But he isn't the only ex-player working in hockey who may not be suited for the role he has been given. Seems like we also have one at the President level.

And lot's of companies promote employees from within to manager roles only to find out once they are in that role that they aren't suited for it. Happens everyday in the real world. It might also be the case here. Can't say for sure, but that's what I am leaning towards. Just based on his actions and his words, he's not the type of manager who would inspire confidence in me if I worked under him, in any industry. Once again, just my take on the guy based on limited information.

Will Sweeney stink forever? Maybe? Mike Sullivan was in over his head here after being promoted from Providence after just one season of pro coaching experience. He wasn't ready. But he grew, he learned.

Maybe Sweeney will get a chance elsewhere down the road where he excels, maybe it happens in Boston, but two years in, if you look at all of his decisions, he's made more mistakes than he's made good decisions. Maybe he's getting some bad advice, I don't know. I'm past benefit-of-the doubt stage with him. He needs a decent run here of some sound quality decisions to earn this fan's trust back.

In the meantime, I'm going to pretend the front office doesn't exist and enjoy watching the guys on the ice.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Dude Connolly was the right fit for March and Berg. Both played exceptionally well with Connolly. They meshed well. The problem was Connolly was coming back from a wrist surgery and missed considerable time between Tampa injury and bruin freak training camp injury. Like some here, I saw great potential.

There were 50 replies to the thread where he didn't get qualified and maybe one person said it was to early to give up on him.

I give you credit for liking him more than most.. IMO it's the classic hindsight argument that makes this board grate. (Yes, that was intentional)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The part of Connolly being a Chia-guy I agree with.

But you never answered the question.

If bringing Connolly back with Claude still here made no sense.

Why did he bring back Joe Morrow? Because Claude certainly had no confidence in him either.

I could say the same with Colin Miller, and Ryan Spooner the year prior. None of these guys had Claude's confidence. All have been RFAs under Sweeney.

Look I don't hate Sweeney. He's done very little to inspire confidence he knows what he is doing. That's just my opinion. He's an ex-player who got a job in hockey after his playing days because, well, he's an ex-player. And his former Harvard teammate was in a position of power to offer him a job. That's normally how the NHL works.

But he isn't the only ex-player working in hockey who may not be suited for the role he has been given. Seems like we also have one at the President level.

And lot's of companies promote employees from within to manager roles only to find out once they are in that role that they aren't suited for it. Happens everyday in the real world. It might also be the case here. Can't say for sure, but that's what I am leaning towards. Just based on his actions and his words, he's not the type of manager who would inspire confidence in me if I worked under him, in any industry. Once again, just my take on the guy based on limited information.

Will Sweeney stink forever? Maybe? Mike Sullivan was in over his head here after being promoted from Providence after just one season of pro coaching experience. He wasn't ready. But he grew, he learned.

Maybe Sweeney will get a chance elsewhere down the road where he excels, maybe it happens in Boston, but two years in, if you look at all of his decisions, he's made more mistakes than he's made good decisions. Maybe he's getting some bad advice, I don't know. I'm past benefit-of-the doubt stage with him. He needs a decent run here of some sound quality decisions to earn this fan's trust back.

In the meantime, I'm going to pretend the front office doesn't exist and enjoy watching the guys on the ice.

hahah me too. It's just not worth worrying about the guys in suits. I'm kinda glad I'm an old fossil and grew up in a time where you were just a fan and not a critic.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Connolly says he was going out against top competition every night and he wasn't quite ready for it in the article, which to me says misused by the coach. I don't understand how he was comfortable with him playing top line minutes most of the year than not comfortable with him on the roster at all but it is what it is. Being a Bruins fan living in Tampa I wanted to see him do well here but that didn't happen, I just can't stand Hayes stayed where Connolly could have been.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/8/brett-connolly-finally-beating-expectations-game/

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
hahah me too. It's just not worth worrying about the guys in suits. I'm kinda glad I'm an old fossil and grew up in a time where you were just a fan and not a critic.

Can you imagine if this place was around back in say 1996 or 1997? Good lord.

Sometimes I liked the days better when I knew Harry and MOC were nitwits, and I just didn't care enough to be bothered.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Connilly played 70 + games . If you want to blame Julien for where he played him fine but it was Sweeney decision not to bring him back . It certainly wasn't an easy call considering how he played so I don't see it as a huge mistake .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad