Jimmy Hayes Elite Scoring?

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Although unlikely, it would be awesome if Hayes turned out to be a legit top-6 power forward.

He has all the tools, almost like a Bertuzzi. Those big guys usually start to come around at this age(25/26). I think next season will be even bigger for Hayes.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Gotta get him locked up next
Nope, he's got to prove that this year isn't a fluke first. His shooting % isn't sustainable.

I'm not 100% sure about his RFA status, anyone else got more info? If we go by the age thing, he should still be a RFA in 2016 since his b-day is late (Hayes turns 27 in 2016 November), IIRC the cut-off date was like August or September. But there might be some other stuff that affects that and makes him a UFA in 2016. :dunno:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Nope, he's got to prove that this year isn't a fluke first. His shooting % isn't sustainable.

I'm not 100% sure about his RFA status, anyone else got more info? If we go by the age thing, he should still be a RFA in 2016 since his b-day is late (Hayes turns 27 in 2016 November), IIRC the cut-off date was like August or September. But there might be some other stuff that affects that and makes him a UFA in 2016. :dunno:

Yeah it is something like 18%. I like him a lot, but there was a time when Kopecky was our top scorer. And he had a shooting percentage of 18% or something like that!

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Although unlikely, it would be awesome if Hayes turned out to be a legit top-6 power forward.

I don't think it's unlikely and I don't think this season is a fluke. He plays a simple game -- goes hard to the net and shoots the puck. More guys on this team need to do that. His shooting percentage is high but he's also taking high percentage shots. Comparing him to Bergie who throws everything on net from anywhere. Everything Hayes puts on net is almost always from a prime scoring area. I think he needs another season to prove himself but I'm pretty much sold that he's a legit top 6 power forward.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Hayes might not be a sniper and he might not have a natural skill set. The important thing is Hayes doesn't care what happens to him if he goes to the net and that's something that you cannot teach. Hayes stands in that blue paint every chance he gets and drives the net a lot as well. He understands a simple cycle game and he has good enough hands to score from in tight. Plus, his speed has improved a lot since his first NHL game. Keep him, but do not overpay.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I don't think it's unlikely and I don't think this season is a fluke. He plays a simple game -- goes hard to the net and shoots the puck. More guys on this team need to do that. His shooting percentage is high but he's also taking high percentage shots. Comparing him to Bergie who throws everything on net from anywhere. Everything Hayes puts on net is almost always from a prime scoring area. I think he needs another season to prove himself but I'm pretty much sold that he's a legit top 6 power forward.

What I meant is that I don't see Hayes as an Elite scoring winger as the title suggests. I do think he could hit 20 goals given regular playing time consistently, but I don't know about him doing 30 goals a season regularly.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
What I meant is that I don't see Hayes as an Elite scoring winger as the title suggests. I do think he could hit 20 goals given regular playing time consistently, but I don't know about him doing 30 goals a season regularly.

30ish to me is reasonable. I don't know if that is elite.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
I can see him as a Lucic/Simmonds type. Big, tough, and willing to do the dirty work that will net him 25-30 goals a year.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
30ish to me is reasonable. I don't know if that is elite.

Jamie Benn has only scored 30 goals once so far. If we are considering Hayes as a power forward, I think 30 goals is reaching.

But I may be wrong. I'm a huge fan of Hayes right now and would love if he could be even a 25 goal player.

Also to be clear, not calling Benn elite either. Just used him to compare as they are similar ages, but most would take Benn over Hayes in a heartbeat.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Jamie Benn has only scored 30 goals once so far. If we are considering Hayes as a power forward, I think 30 goals is reaching.

But I may be wrong. I'm a huge fan of Hayes right now and would love if he could be even a 25 goal player.

Also to be clear, not calling Benn elite either. Just used him to compare as they are similar ages, but most would take Benn over Hayes in a heartbeat.

Benn is much more dynamic and has playmaking abilities which Hayes does not have. If our PP was working properly, I think it would be reasonable to believe a guy like Hayes would have potted a few more goals.

Parking yourself in front of the net, going to the net, and shooting once the puck is on your stick when you're around the net will produce goals. For whatever reason a lot of guys on our team are allergic to that and like to pass for a prettier play. Hubs used to do what Hayes is doing.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
His shooting % is 18 lol, he's having incredible puck luck that's not sustainable.

The high shooting percentage is largely because he is right in front of the net when he shoots, the same reason Wayne Simmonds' floats around 13-15% except Hayes average shooting distance is from almost 5 feet closer than Simmonds. Sure it likely won't stay up around 17% but if he keeps going to the front of the net like he does 15% isn't unreasonable.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
He's on a streak and opponents will learn to deal with him eventually. Bertuzzi had some of the best hands out there and Hayes isn't much of a passer or dangler, though he's shown some great instincts lately.

I think he's a legitimate top-6 winger, potentially, but I'd be pretty surprised if he breaks out and becomes a 30+ guy. 35-45 points and a lot of size and intangibles ain't bad at all for a second line winger.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

i saw my avatar score 50 playing exactly like Hayes.

Im a believer.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The high shooting percentage is largely because he is right in front of the net when he shoots, the same reason Wayne Simmonds' floats around 13-15% except Hayes average shooting distance is from almost 5 feet closer than Simmonds. Sure it likely won't stay up around 17% but if he keeps going to the front of the net like he does 15% isn't unreasonable.

Hayes isn't as good as Simmonds, and how many 30 goal seasons has Simmonds had?

According Hockey Reference (http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hayesji01.html) is his Shooting % 17,2 this season and he had 15,3 last season, so I'm not sure it will drop that much.

He took no shots last year though.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong, really doubt it though. It would be out of nowhere

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
He's on a streak and opponents will learn to deal with him eventually. Bertuzzi had some of the best hands out there and Hayes isn't much of a passer or dangler, though he's shown some great instincts lately.

I think he's a legitimate top-6 winger, potentially, but I'd be pretty surprised if he breaks out and becomes a 30+ guy. 35-45 points and a lot of size and intangibles ain't bad at all for a second line winger.

It's not about learning to contain him... it's about defenders not having the physical ability to deal with him in front... few d men in this league can handle Hayes in front which is what make guds so valuable...

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Hayes isn't as good as Simmonds, and how many 30 goal seasons has Simmonds had?

I never said he was going to be a 30+ scorer I suggested he could score between 25-30 a year, which Simmonds has. Simmonds has also played 7 full seasons, this will be Hayes first. Hayes could very well reach Simmonds potential given some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad