In Memoriam Jimmy Buffett, legendary 'Margaritaville' singer, dies at 76

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Very unique experience for sure. I tried to see him every chance I got in the late 80s/early90s when he played outdoor venues in my area. He would tell stories between songs, give historical tidbits, and somehow relate to 20,000 people as if they were all his friends. "People watching" at his shows was almost as fun as the on-stage performance. Closest thing to that kind of atmosphere I ever experienced was at some of the Neville Brothers concerts I went to back in that same time period.
Yes I recall those "cool dad talks" as we called them between friends up on the hillside at the show. Also agree that the venue was super cool for just hanging with the people all around. Saw Tom Petty as well as Neil Young there as well among others.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

In May 2013, when Boston grieved for the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, Jimmy Buffett joined hometown musicians James Taylor, Aerosmith, the Dropkick Murphys and other musical luminaries to perform a benefit concert at TD Garden.

Buffett performed his iconic “Margaritaville” at the event billed as “Boston Strong: An evening of Support and Celebration.” Like all acts, he performed for free for a show that raised more than $1.5 million for the One Fund, set up to aid the victims.

Buffet died Friday at his home on Long Island four years after being diagnosed with Merkel cell skin cancer, his family wrote in an obituary released Saturday night. He was 76.

His final performance was a surprise appearance in July in Rhode Island, the obituary said. Buffett joined Mac McAnally, a longtime member of his Coral Reefer Band, during a show in Portsmouth, on July 2, the Providence Journal reported.

Buffett’s health issues had brought him to Boston. His family asked that donations in his name be made to Brigham and Women’s Hospital or the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, along with MD Andersen Cancer Center in Houston and Jimmy Buffett’s Singing Foundation for Change.

In May, after a checkup in Boston, Buffett announced was hospitalized in to “address some issues that needed some immediate attention” and would cancel a show in Charleston, S.C.

“Getting old is not for sissies, I promise you,” he wrote on X in May.

He died “surrounded by his family, friends, music and dogs,” according to a statement posted to his social media accounts and to his website early Saturday morning.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Found out his grandfather lived in my home town of glace bay cape breton island nova scotia. It's very cold here in the winter which I assume inspired him to move to the warm climates of alabama

His great grandfather was born in nfld and is burried in Sydney ns. Thats why Jimmy yaht was always around cape breton in the summer . He still has family here and in nfld.

He was a great guy who did exceptionally well for himself reaching billionaire status this yr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad