In Memoriam Jimmy Buffett, legendary 'Margaritaville' singer, dies at 76

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
RIP Jimmy.

We have lost so many icons this year, they lived life to the fullest though. There is the lesson for all of us.

Reactions: Bradely

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That is a shocker

Was huge my high school years

I never saw him which is kinda surprising as I had his album drink a lot so Margaritas and been to his place on Maui a couple of times

R.I.P. We were just singing his song on deck last night.
Hey I called you two days ago - you out at sea ?

Reactions: LSCII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Rest in Peace Jimmy. Margaritaville at City Walk in Orlando was our go to when we would go to Universal Studios.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Man, this one is tough. After college and before my we all started having kids and getting busy with life, my group of friends would always go see him play at Greawoods/tweeter center/Xfinity center every year. Lots of times, we'd go multiple times a season and it was always a great time to reconnect with good friends and have some laughs. Jimmy's overall vibe and the welcoming atmosphere of all the fans tailgating before the show is something I've never seen with another singer or band. It truly was a giant party and everyone was welcome. You could spend hours wandering around looking at the various displays people set up and it was amazing. You'd also be well fed and well stocked up with margaritas whether you came with them or not.

Rest in Peace Jimmy Buffet. You were a true original.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Never saw a performer better than Jimmy who could turn concerts into huge outdoor parties. Dude toured relentlessly and brought joy wherever he went. Incredibly intelligent man as well. So sad to see the passing of a true American icon. RIP.

Reactions: sooshii and LSCII

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
One of the greatest lines in music history: “I blew out my flip-flop, stepped on a pop top.”. I loved this guy .RIP Jimmy.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Great Woods was/is an awesome venue and I too saw him there in the early 90's. Such a fun loving and friendly guy on stage and that vibe carried to everyone there. Pretty unique experience. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Reactions: missingchicklet

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Quick Buffet story.......

When I was stationed in Pensacola, I'd spend a lot Sundays at the original Flora Bama Lounge, back before Hurricane Ivan wiped it off the map, and the drinks were still cheap. Anyway, they always had live music and it was always a guy with a guitar singing Buffet covers......

Until one random Sunday afternoon, I'm sitting at the bar and another guy with a guitar gets up on stage and starts sining Buffet covers.......except this time they weren't covers.

He played for about an hour to maybe 50 people in the bar. It was really cool.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Great Woods was/is an awesome venue and I too saw him there in the early 90's. Such a fun loving and friendly guy on stage and that vibe carried to everyone there. Pretty unique experience. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Very unique experience for sure. I tried to see him every chance I got in the late 80s/early90s when he played outdoor venues in my area. He would tell stories between songs, give historical tidbits, and somehow relate to 20,000 people as if they were all his friends. "People watching" at his shows was almost as fun as the on-stage performance. Closest thing to that kind of atmosphere I ever experienced was at some of the Neville Brothers concerts I went to back in that same time period.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Quick Buffet story.......

When I was stationed in Pensacola, I'd spend a lot Sundays at the original Flora Bama Lounge, back before Hurricane Ivan wiped it off the map, and the drinks were still cheap. Anyway, they always had live music and it was always a guy with a guitar singing Buffet covers......

Until one random Sunday afternoon, I'm sitting at the bar and another guy with a guitar gets up on stage and starts sining Buffet covers.......except this time they weren't covers.

He played for about an hour to maybe 50 people in the bar. It was really cool.

he did similar in July in Portsmouth RI.

Reactions: bb74

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1693680666367.png

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
That is a shocker

Was huge my high school years

I never saw him which is kinda surprising as I had his album drink a lot so Margaritas and been to his place on Maui a couple of times

Hey I called you two days ago - you out at sea ?
JUST got home

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad