News Article: Jiminy Crickets Howie Meeker Passes Away

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hockey today lost an iconic character with the passing of Howie Meeker. For a certain generation of us, Howie was a stalwart of our Hockey Night in Canada experience. His passion, knowledge and ability to communicate a hockey game was unequaled.

Howie Meeker was from a simpler time and his folksy enthusiasm might seem hokey or strange today but he was somewhat of Canada's coach for a generation of kids and hockey fans. I wanted to go to Howie Meeker Hockey School so badly but was not to be.

Howie Breaks Down Oil Beat Down of Flames 1983:

Howie Meeker Hockey School: https://www.cbc.ca/archives/topic/howie-meeker-hockey-school

Kelly Hrudy Remembers: Hrudey’s Take: A great moment with Howie Meeker - Sportsnet.ca

I hope some of the other 'veteran' posters will share their thoughts about the life and legacy of a hockey original. Rest In Peace Howie Meeker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Howie was the best. RIP.

Loved how he broke down plays, you'd be watching the game and pretty much know which great plays and mistakes Howie would be doing iso on after the play or at intermission. He didnt miss much and unlike today he was bang on with most of his comments.

Of personal note this NHL fan was a fan of two great clubs, The Montreal Canadiens and upon entry, the Edmonton Oilers. Howie loved both of those clubs and so it was easy to like him too.

But man, when Howie mocked a play, that had to hurt. If Howie was pointing out your mistakes on a play on HNIC with a nation watching in pre cable or internet universe you would look for a place to hide. More than a few players probably got demoted at times after being flamed by Howie.

He existed through such other stalwarts as Danny Gallivan, Dick Irvin, and the immortal Foster Hewitt.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Met Howie on the LRT heading downtown from Northlands back when Risto Siltanen was my favourite Oiler defenceman. He was sitting across from my buddy and I who were heading home late after the game, that was back in the day where kids and young teens like us could wait outside the locker room for autographs and talk to the players when they were coming out of the locker room and even the players families who were there waiting for them.

He was super friendly and he talked with us all the way to our stop. I remember asking Howie what he thought of Siltanen and he liked him. I asked him how he compared to Borje Salming and I remember this like yesterday, he said he is good but you cant compare chicken shit to chicken soup lol.

RIP Howie. Enjoy working that telestrator in the sky.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Just listening to him makes me miss the days when they could say what's on their mine and not worry
about this political bullshit and hurt feeling

Reactions: oilers'72

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
My main memory, one of those that may be as much virtual as real, involved him slashing the stick out of the hands of the kids on his hockey school show and telling them to keep both hands on their stick. That and his distinctive voice.

Definitely a person I will long remember as a personality.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Just listening to him makes me miss the days when they could say what's on their mine and not worry
about this political bullshit and hurt feeling

Me too. So many legendary Canadian sportscasters have passed away in the last decade. Howie Meeker, Johnny Esaw, Pat Marsden, etc. etc.

When one of them goes I am reminded of how much more simple and fun life was back then.

RIP Howie

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He seemed a bit geeky during his time on air, but looking back, he was one of the best, no question. The guy was groundbreaking when it came to dissecting the game for the average fan, and making his segment a lot of fun. Always looked forward to seeing his speil.

Had no idea of the other parts of his life though. And what an amazing life it was, fought with incredible danger, huge successes, and extremely likeable. RIP Howie, you were old school and one of a kind.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
loved his howie meeker hockey school tv show.
He was also one of the first of the real educational tv analysts.

Reactions: Darkwinter

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Missed this until today. I can’t believe nobody has said this yet so I will, “You kids at home, shoooot the puck!”

RIP Howie Meeker. You were a fond memory of my childhood.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Another legend gone leaving the world more bland than it was with him in it. Howie was funny: a little bit shrill and his voice was sooo nasal. He would never be on the air today because executive schmuck would say he’s not telegenic enough or something stupid. But he made it, and became a staple of the hockey community, because he was so far ahead of his time being able to explain positioning and schemes to the layperson. On a personal level, you couldn’t help but love his honesty and enthusiasm. The guy just plain loved the game. He was one of a kind. Jiminey Crickets, Howie. RIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad