Jim Slater

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattodette28

Jun 7, 2002
Visit site
just drafted this guy in my FHL keeper league. This guy seems to hardly ever be talked about on these boards, and not too much in general. He's putting up great numbers in college, but a lot of players have done that and not amounted to much in the NHL. With Stefan looking like a good 3rd liner, could this guy be the 1st or 2nd line center on Atlanta in a few years?

What is his offensive potential? I've heard he is a hardworker with not many weaknesses, good skater and a punishing body checker. Any thoughts on him?

Twisted Wrister

Jun 29, 2002
The Boardroom
Visit site
I've seen him play with Michigan State quite a bit, one of the posters on those other linked threads gave a comparison to John Madden, and having also seen Madden in his U of Michigan days, I'd say that's a decent comparison.

Slater, like Madden, is a good skater who is very responsible defensively. His offensive skills may be slightly better than Madden's, but I'm not too sure on that (Madden had 120 points his final 2 years at Michigan).

I'd say Slater's potential is as a 2nd line NHL center scoring about 50-60 points a season.

islandnucker

Jan 24, 2003
ladysmith
Visit site
Twisted Wrister said:
I've seen him play with Michigan State quite a bit, one of the posters on those other linked threads gave a comparison to John Madden, and having also seen Madden in his U of Michigan days, I'd say that's a decent comparison.

Slater, like Madden, is a good skater who is very responsible defensively. His offensive skills may be slightly better than Madden's, but I'm not too sure on that (Madden had 120 points his final 2 years at Michigan).

I'd say Slater's potential is as a 2nd line NHL center scoring about 50-60 points a season.
That would be nice if he could do that I've got him in an FHL league as well.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
I watched Slater very closely during the Thrashers' training camp but have not seen him in college at all.

I agree with the Madden comparisons. He's quick, spirited, tough and a very hard worker. He has a nice shot--almost looks like a sniper. He loves the game--a kind of joy that is infectious and fun to watch at ice level.

In training camp, I said he appeared ready to make the team but I think the organization did the right thing by letting him return to school.

Next year, however, the Thrashers will have him on the ice. I'm not sure I see a #2 centerman in Slater, at least at first. But I do believe that over time he can grow into that role. I think the club has him earmarked for the #2 slot though.

I wonder if he can make the jump this year still. I wouldn't be surprised if DW brings Slater up for a try like he did with Heatley.

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
I saw Slater play last night and was impressed. His game reminds me of Peca's- since these boards tend to be pretty volatile I will add that I'm not saying that he is or ever will be as good as Peca at the NHL level just that his playing style is similar. That being said, I think he has a good chance of being a solid pro because he's so well rounded-high skill level, gritty, and works hard on defense too.

Matt Gunning

Jul 29, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site
Slater's strengths are his defensive play and body checking. When he was drafted scouts debated whether he would score enough to be a #2 scoring center of a #3 checking center in the NHL. Right now he is scoring at a decent rate in college as MSU's main offensive threat. Only will time will tell how much of that scoring will carry over when he reaches the NHL. (Which will likely be next season, or even this spring if he signs a deal after MSU's season is finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad