Wade Redden - Al Arbour

Hugh Lehman
Pekka Lindmark

Spares: Tom Anderson (LW/D), Charlie Sands (C/RW), Clem Loughlin, D

PP1: Smith - Taylor - Hextall - Cameron - Fetisov
PP2: Joliat - Lindros - Gottselig - Colville - Lutchenko

PK1: Sullivan - Gottselig - Schoenfeld - Arbour
PK2: Colville - Davidson - Fetisov - Lutchenko
PK3: Houle - Paiement (Houle can play C)

Vs.

Logos-HB-Primary-Tan.jpg

Giant Center

giant_center.jpg

Head Coach: Toe Blake
Assistant Coach: Punch Imlach
GM: 87and71
Captain: George Armstrong
Alternate: Rod Langway
Alternate: Frank Foyston

Roster:

George Armstrong - RW - 6'3'' 204 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1930 +2/20)
Frank Foyston - LW - 6'1'' 198 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1891 +4/40)
Bobby Holik - C - 6'4'' 230 lbs
Tim Horton - D - 6'0'' 200 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1930 +2/20)
Erik Karlsson - D - 6'0" 180 lbs
Joe Klukay - W - 6'2'' 202 lbs lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1923 +2/20)
Rod Langway - D - 6'3'' 218 lbs
Pete Mahovlich - C - 6'6'' 220 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1946 +1/10)
Georges Mantha - LW/D - 5'11'' 195 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1908 +3/30)
Teppo Numminen - D - 6'2'' 198 lbs
Adam Oates - C - 5'11'' 190 lbs
Pete Peeters - G - 6'1'' 195 lbs
Alex Pietrangelo - D - 6'3'' 201 lbs
Didier Pitre - RW - 6'3'' 230 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1893 +4/40)
Ken Randall - RW/D - 6'2'' 220 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1888 +4/40)
Stephane Richer - RW - 6'2'' 215 lbs
Patrick Roy - G - 6'2'' 185 lbs
Ernie Russell - C/RW/Rover - 5'10'' 200 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1883)
Hod Stuart - D - 6'4 1/2'' 235 lbs (Adjusted for era/birth year 1879 +4 1/2/45)
Marc Tardif - LW - 6'1'' 205 (Adjusted for era/birth year 1949 +1/10)
Keith Tkachuk - LW - 6'2'' 235 lbs
Rick Tocchet - RW - 6'0'' 210 lbs
Pierre Turgeon - C - 6'1'' 200 lbs

LW | C | RW Tkachuk | Oates | Pitre Foyston | Turgeon | E. Russell Klukay | B. Holik | Armstrong Mantha | P. Mahovlich | Tocchet

D | D H. Stuart | Horton Langway | Numminen Karlsson | Randall

G Patrick Roy Pete Peeters

Spares: Marc Tadif, LW; Stephane Richer, RW; Alex Pietrangelo, D​

[FIELDSET="Power Play"]

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Penalty Kill"]

[/FIELDSET]

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So fresh off my first ATD win in game 7 of OT, i get the pleasure of going up against an ATD stalwart and GM who usually goes quite far (or all the way) in the semi's! I look forward to the match up and discussion of the two teams. Good luck TDMM.

Much like my 1st round match up i'll focus on coaching, goal tending, defense and then forward play as that's how i built my team this go around.

Coaching: Moderate Advantage Hershey

Coaching is an advantage again for Hershey although smaller than their last match up. Hap Day is a tremendous coach. Borderline top 5 all time in my book (I have him 6th). Blake has an advantage in that he was a more well rounded coach who was equally effective with a fire wagon style in the 50's and a more defensive approach in the 60's when the personnel called for different styles. But the big difference for me here is that I have a coach who is almost a mirror image of Day with Punch Imlach who essentially played an exact style and had similar success with the Leafs in the 60's. I have IMO the 2nd best coach ever who could handle the offensive strategy and tactics and another coach who is often in the top 10 of legitimate lists and was a fantastic defensive coach in his day. They each bring an elite level of coaching to the areas they will control and this to me = a win for Hershey.

Goalies: HUGE Advantage Hershey

The huge advantage in this matchup is going to be in net. Roy is the best playoff goalie ever and best goalie period. Lehman is a lower end starter with 32 teams. He's not terrible but certainly below average, 24th in the goalie project but the thing that stands out is Lehman generally underwhelmed in the SC challenges in his day. He routinely was beat and in an all time standing, this is a major disadvantage for the Swamp Devils. In a close game, in a crucial moment who is going to routinely make the big save? I trust Roy based on historical evidence. In fact, one of my scoring line F's (Ernie Russell) had arguably his greatest SC performance against Lehman in 1910, scoring 4 times as Lehman let in 7 goals in a lopsided loss.

Russell Scores 4 Goals against Hugh Lehman in Stanley Cup Championship at RW

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
NHA league champions take over Stanley Cup[edit]
The Wanderers having won the O'Brien trophy won regular season championship of the NHA and took possession of the Cup from Ottawa. They had a challenge from Berlin, champions of the Ontario Professional Hockey League and easily defeated them. For 1910, there would be two Stanley Cup holders, Ottawa until March, and Montreal for the rest of the year.

§Wanderers vs. Berlin[edit]
March 12

Berlin 3 at Wanderers 7

Hugh Lehman, Capt. G William "Riley" Hern|
Albert Seibert 1 P Jack Marshall|
Harvey Corbeau 1 CP Ernie Johnson|
E. "Toad" Edmunds RO Frank "Pud" Glass, Capt.|
Roy Anderson C Harry Hyland 3|
Ezra Dumart RW Ernie Russell 4|
Oren Frood 1 LW Jimmy Gardner|

Defensemen: Small advantage Hershey

Fetisov is better than Horton but the gap between Hod Stuart and Lutchenko is greater. Even with the real life pairing factored in i honestly believe that Stuart-Horton is a slightly superior group especially defensively and physically speaking. Stuart was a massive body for his day, incredibly physical and really had no weakness in his game, other than era if you're wanting to nitpick but we can do that with Russian players comparing smaller sample sizes vs North Americans. I still don't believe you can compare domestic Russian #'s (even 70's and 80's) to NHL numbers as equal. A slight advantage to Hershey IMO.

Schoenfeld is slightly better than Numminen overall i think but again a bigger gap exists from Langway to Cameron. Cameron is a really good #3 but Langway is an elite #2 playing on the 2nd line. Obviously both units have a standard own end player along with a puck moving defenseman. I certainly think that Cameron was a better puck mover than Numminen but Cameron probably wasn't as responsible defensively and Langway was superior to either NJ player in their own end. Again, both are strong units but another match up that i think favors Hershey slightly.

3rd pairing is negligible. With the 2014-15 that Karlsson has had he easily has the best peak of any of the 4 Dmen here. Obviously longevity doesn't exist but he is the most dynamic player. Arbour is a 6. Redden a solid 5. I think Hershey has a clear advantage offensively (NJ is better defensively) mainly due to Karlsson, but Randall spent part of his career at F and had the ability to move the puck up the ice more so than Arbour ever did. With a very strong top 4, my bottom pair will again play slightly less than other teams and thus have less exposure to potential match up problems. I trust Blake and Imlach completely in rolling the right pairings out in the right situations vs NJ.

...........will continue F and special teams after lunch today........

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Congratulations on beating a good Renards team last round!

A few things:

• Maybe this is semantics, but I think that you're overselling your coaching advantage a bit by calling it "moderate." We seem to agree that Hap Day is a top 10 coach, perhaps 5th or 6th all-time, while Blake is higher than that. Personally, I'd call that a "slight" advantage, but whatever, it's just semantics.
  • Sure, Punch Imlach is better than Frank Patrick in a vacuum, but these are assistant coaches. What do you see Imlach's role as here - how will he help Blake? Punch was not a guy to take orders from anyone, FWIW.
  • Not surprised you are running to the goalies project as a crutch about Lehman. I was a part of that project; have you even read the arguments? Lehman's 24th ranking is a joke, especially compared to Tony Esposito in 16th, as Hugh Lehman's career is every bit as good as Tony Esposito's in both strengths and weaknesses. Seriously, Lehman was a star forever, and seems to have gotten more contemporary praise than Clint Benedict. Some of that might have been pro-West homerism, but still, I have to think that if Lehman had a better record in Cup challenges, he'd be in a similar tier to Georges Vezina as the best of his era. He isn't, but I really do think Tony Esposito is his level, and against Esposito was ranked 16th. How was Lehman ranked below Esposito? I was the one collecting votes, and I felt the Lehman bit was the low point of the goalies project, so I remember exactly what happened:
    • A handful of posters (including at least 2 voters) convinced themselves that the PCHA was a glorified minor league, equivalent to the WHA at best, and weren't interested in any facts to the contrary. You obviously don't agree with them, as you have the PCHA's Frank Foyston in a very prominent position. Anyway, those guys left Lehman off their ballots.
    • A certain fan of the Montreal Canadiens was furious at me for helping get Frank Brimsek ranked over Bill Durnan, so he made it a point to argue against everyone I favored from that point forward, including Lehman.
    • Those guys aside, there was one good voter who voted Lehman high when he first appeared then left him off his ballot the next round (the one that ended up counting). Eventually, I asked him about it and he said it was a mistake. After that, we started verifying ballots before counting them if something like this came up. Anyway, if just this one voter had voted for Lehman where he meant to (rather than accidentally leaving him off his ballot), he would have jumped Billy Smith into 23rd, regardless of the guys who thought the PCHA was a joke.
    TLDR version: Lehman's ranking of 24th is unjustified when a completely comparable player (Tony Esposito) is ranked 16th. If you care about ranking ATD goalies just against each other, Lehman is an average one, though he doesn't have the best playoff record (just like Esposito).

Here is how I see the defense:

#1: Fetisov > Horton by a fair amount (solid advantage NJ)
#2: Langway > Cameron by a small amount (small advantage Hershey)
#3: Stuart > Lutchenko (solid advantage Hershey)
#4: Schoenfeld > Numminen by a least a little bit (small advantage NJ)

Looks to me like the defenses are pretty close through the top 4, despite NJ having the clearly superior #1, mainly because Hershey has a #2 defenseman slumming it as a #3.

However, the difference is the bottom pairings - NJ's is simply better at doing what it is supposed to do - killing minutes and playing solid two-way hockey until better players get on the ice. Ken Randall, as a high-scoring hard hitting defenseman sure seems like the kind of guy who would run around trying to create things, the exact opposite of the type of partner Erik Karlsson would need.

NJ's blueline is probably marginally better overall, due to bottom pairings. NJ = much better #1, slightly better #4. Hershey = slightly better #2, much better #3. Seems pretty even. So the difference is NJ's superior bottom pairing - Hershey's bottom pairing is going to be an adventure its own zone.

If we want to dig into skillsets, Hershey's top 4 is better defensively, NJ's is better offensively and in transition.

Am I overselling the difference between Fetisov and Horton? Maybe? I don't know. There were lots of people (including North Americans) who thought Fetisov was the best non-Gretzky player in the world in the early 1980s, though. The gap between Hod Stuart and Vladimir Lutchenko is probably larger, but I just think #1s are more important than #3s.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
A few notes on matchups:

• With a huge top pairing, and Holik and Mahovlich at C, Hershey is well set up to match up against the bigger centers in the league. They are not as well suited to match up with the speed and skill of the Cyclone Taylor - Aurele Joliat duo.
  • Hershey doesn't have a single center who matches up well with Cyclone Taylor. Oates was great at faceoffs and solid in his own zone, but really slow. Turgeon was bad defensively, Holik was great against bigger centers like Lindros, Sundin and the older slower version of Lemieux, but was too slow to keep up with a small fast guy like Sakic. And Mahovlich's another big guy.
  • I don't see Turgeon being very effective in this series at all. Taylor will eat him for dinner, Lindros will bully the hell out of the tin man, Colville's will harass him with his relentless puck pursuit, and Sullivan was great defensively and just a ***** to play against. So the 2nd line is going to rely an awful lot on Keith Tkachuk to score, and Keith is a guy you don't want to have to rely on in the playoffs.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Hap Day, 5th-6th all-time? I could see his own GM making that claim, but the opposing GM agreeing?

Day > Shero :sarcasm:

I think 5th-10th is a good range for Day - there are quite a few guys who can fit in there.

But looking at results vs expectations, Day has to rank quite high, especially since the guys he was outcoaching - Dick Irvin and Jack Adams - are ATD stalwarts.

Day wasn't the most flexible coach, but he wasn't a total one-note guy like an Imlach.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think 5th-10th is a good range for Day - there are quite a few guys who can fit in there.

But looking at results vs expectations, Day has to rank quite high, especially since the guys he was outcoaching - Dick Irvin and Jack Adams - are ATD stalwarts.

Day wasn't the most flexible coach, but he wasn't a total one-note guy like an Imlach.

After Bowman, Blake, Tarasov and Arbour, I guess Day enters the conversation, though I'd personally never put him before Lester Patrick. Somewhere in the 6th - 9th range with Ivan, Gorman and Shero seems reasonable to me.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
After Bowman, Blake, Tarasov and Arbour, I guess Day enters the conversation, though I'd personally never put him before Lester Patrick. Somewhere in the 6th - 9th range with Ivan, Gorman and Shero seems reasonable to me.

Gorman that high, eh? At one time I may have had him that high, when I picked him. But I recall BM67 kinda shooting down a big part of my case for him, and I've never been huge on him since.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

I wouldn't put Day over Patrick either. Tarasov is the one whose ranking I wonder about - I just find him really difficult to rank, since so much of what he gets credit for seems to be more of the builder and trainer type stuff, rather than strictly coaching.

He was the main strategist of the Soviet team as a coach, but he didn't run the bench in game for the national team, just a really weird situation. Anyway, whatever, probably not the place for this.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Congratulations on beating a good Renards team last round!

A few things:

• Maybe this is semantics, but I think that you're overselling your coaching advantage a bit by calling it "moderate." We seem to agree that Hap Day is a top 10 coach, perhaps 5th or 6th all-time, while Blake is higher than that. Personally, I'd call that a "slight" advantage, but whatever, it's just semantics.
  • Sure, Punch Imlach is better than Frank Patrick in a vacuum, but these are assistant coaches. What do you see Imlach's role as here - how will he help Blake? Punch was not a guy to take orders from anyone, FWIW.
  • Not surprised you are running to the goalies project as a crutch about Lehman. I was a part of that project; have you even read the arguments? Lehman's 24th ranking is a joke, especially compared to Tony Esposito in 16th, as Hugh Lehman's career is every bit as good as Tony Esposito's in both strengths and weaknesses. Seriously, Lehman was a star forever, and seems to have gotten more contemporary praise than Clint Benedict. Some of that might have been pro-West homerism, but still, I have to think that if Lehman had a better record in Cup challenges, he'd be in a similar tier to Georges Vezina as the best of his era. He isn't, but I really do think Tony Esposito is his level, and against Esposito was ranked 16th. How was Lehman ranked below Esposito? I was the one collecting votes, and I felt the Lehman bit was the low point of the goalies project, so I remember exactly what happened:
    • A handful of posters (including at least 2 voters) convinced themselves that the PCHA was a glorified minor league, equivalent to the WHA at best, and weren't interested in any facts to the contrary. You obviously don't agree with them, as you have the PCHA's Frank Foyston in a very prominent position. Anyway, those guys left Lehman off their ballots.
    • A certain fan of the Montreal Canadiens was furious at me for helping get Frank Brimsek ranked over Bill Durnan, so he made it a point to argue against everyone I favored from that point forward, including Lehman.
    • Those guys aside, there was one good voter who voted Lehman high when he first appeared then left him off his ballot the next round (the one that ended up counting). Eventually, I asked him about it and he said it was a mistake. After that, we started verifying ballots before counting them if something like this came up. Anyway, if just this one voter had voted for Lehman where he meant to (rather than accidentally leaving him off his ballot), he would have jumped Billy Smith into 23rd, regardless of the guys who thought the PCHA was a joke.
    TLDR version: Lehman's ranking of 24th is unjustified when a completely comparable player (Tony Esposito) is ranked 16th. If you care about ranking ATD goalies just against each other, Lehman is an average one, though he doesn't have the best playoff record (just like Esposito).

Here is how I see the defense:

#1: Fetisov > Horton by a fair amount (solid advantage NJ)
#2: Langway > Cameron by a small amount (small advantage Hershey)
#3: Stuart > Lutchenko (solid advantage Hershey)
#4: Schoenfeld > Numminen by a least a little bit (small advantage NJ)

Looks to me like the defenses are pretty close through the top 4, despite NJ having the clearly superior #1, mainly because Hershey has a #2 defenseman slumming it as a #3.

However, the difference is the bottom pairings - NJ's is simply better at doing what it is supposed to do - killing minutes and playing solid two-way hockey until better players get on the ice. Ken Randall, as a high-scoring hard hitting defenseman sure seems like the kind of guy who would run around trying to create things, the exact opposite of the type of partner Erik Karlsson would need.

NJ's blueline is probably marginally better overall, due to bottom pairings. NJ = much better #1, slightly better #4. Hershey = slightly better #2, much better #3. Seems pretty even. So the difference is NJ's superior bottom pairing - Hershey's bottom pairing is going to be an adventure its own zone.

If we want to dig into skillsets, Hershey's top 4 is better defensively, NJ's is better offensively and in transition.

Am I overselling the difference between Fetisov and Horton? Maybe? I don't know. There were lots of people (including North Americans) who thought Fetisov was the best non-Gretzky player in the world in the early 1980s, though. The gap between Hod Stuart and Vladimir Lutchenko is probably larger, but I just think #1s are more important than #3s.

Honestly, the Punch Imlach angle was first and foremost a value pick as stated before. I mean there is no reason he should ever be the 34th or 36th (can't remember exactly) coach taken, especially if you're building a defensive minded team and you don't get a Blake or Hap Day for example. But i do think he has great value in that he can have reign over the defensive aspect of the team and PK because quite frankly it was his bread and butter as a head coach anyway. While he certainly had an iron fist i think his style is far more firebrand than Blake but at the same time he fits my roster very well and i think would enjoy being able to control defensive aspects. Is it conventional? No, but at the end of the day he's an all time great coach who can greatly help a team defensively and bring a no nonsense approach when the need arises. Also, you have two of his most beloved players (Horton and Armstrong) on this roster, which makes the pairing more realistic in a sense. Punch called Horton the most important piece to the Leafs dynasty of the 60's and obviously was a huge Armstrong fan.

As for Lehman, i haven't read ALL of the project (it's a major read haha) but enough to try and get a feel for how he's viewed in an all time prism. I certainly would agree he seems to have been one of the stars of the early leagues and often was on teams that weren't as strong as some of the powerhouses of the early 1900/1910's. If you want to argue him as a Tony Esposito comparable, i'd listen but still disagree slightly in that those early era teams, especially in the West are far less talented when comparing to the NHL when Esposito was playing. Obviously neither was stellar in the postseason. Their value is more regular season based. But at the end of the day, there really is a massive gap in net between our teams. Roy is the greatest all time and Lehman at best a borderline top 20 (just inside or outside) by most accounts. And it's even wider when factoring in a winner takes all, 7 game series.

As for the D, i think we'd agree most everywhere based on our initial posts, except Langway to Cameron. I think that is more of a solid advantage for Hershey. With 32 teams you could honestly have Langway be a very low end 1 and argue it passing by an all time standard. With him anchoring the 2nd pair as my #3, i think it gives me a big leg up on really any team i match up with. I certainly think Cameron is more than legit as a 3 and a good anchor for a second pair, but he's not THAT close to Langway in all time value IMHO. Completely contrasting styles, with Cameron being a rushing D from the early years and Langway the elite stay at home defender. Langway also dominated in the most explosive offensive era, an era that had a crop of high end all time great F's and D. I think his standing all time is a testament to how good he really was at helping keep other teams from scoring during the 80's. He was also the main cog in turning around a joke franchise in Washington. They never made the playoffs before his arrival and instantly were contenders every year afterwards.

As for the bottom pairs, i don't think i need to rely on mine as much as anyone due to the personnel i have in my top 4. I can play those guys 2 minutes or so less than most teams and thus expose them to fewer tough situations. Also, its important to note that i have complete faith in Blake and Imlach being able to roll them out against other teams bottom 6 F's and thus not face the same type of offensive power you might see otherwise (like your top line for example).

As for Fetisov, i don't think you're overselling him really. He's pretty much a standard top 8-13 guy all time depending on the level of anti Russian you're dealing with. Horton, i'd put in the 16-18 range comfortably. The difference to me is the offensive ability of Fetisov when comparing the two. I think Horton is easily as good or maybe slightly better in his own end and on the PK. And that's what i need him to be. He's got Stuart next to him to handle the offensive transition and if you read the bio he was THE premier player in the world for multiple seasons mainly due to his ability to skate and generate offense from the back end. Obviously he was huge, very physical and just as good defensively as on offense but this pairing allows each to do what they need to at an elite level.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Forwards: Big Advantage for NJ with 1st Line (not so much after).

Much like the Les Renard team, the NJ line has a strong 1st line, led by Cyclone Taylor. However, i will say it isn't as dangerous as the Ovechkin-Mikita-Alf Smith as a whole, which i was able to overcome in the 1st round. Mikita > Taylor as is Ovechkin > Joliet. I was able to win despite that disadvantage between 1st lines, and now have a much greater + in net, and again, this top line isn't quite as good Les Renards was.

While it's a well built line it is a line that I feel i can slow down with a physical approach and stellar defensive play from Klukay - Holik - Armstrong along with my top pair of high end defensive players in Stuart-Horton. With Klukay (elite) and Armstrong's (very good) defensive play putting a major hindrance on the NJ wingers, i can force Cyclone Taylor into a more one dimensional role and having to face a bigger and vastly more physical player in Holik.

And while Holik will give up a speed advantage, you still have an elite skating blue liner in Stuart behind him as well as Horton. Even with the advantage in speed i don't see Taylor being able to run the gauntlet against the F line or D pair here. And even in a rare occurrence the D breaks down Roy is as good as it gets as a last line of defense in net. It's a 3 step defensive system and one that i feel can slow down and stop even the best built 1st lines. I don't see NJ being able to win consistently down low or in the corners. Klukay and Armstrong were bigger and were elite checkers and defensive standouts. And the high traffic areas are going to be dominated by a massive Stuart and Horton who was said to be the strongest player of his day.

As for the second lines, if we look at VsX to start there really isn't an advantage for either side. In fact i could argue that Hershey has a slight advantage:

VsX: 10 year/7 year

Lindros: 76/85
Turgeon: 78.9/82.1

Smith: N/A
Tkachuk: 73.9/79

Stasiuk: N/A/64.3
Russell: NA

It's harder to compare straight up offensive value but as you can see, from a pure offensive output, Turgeon stacks up well against Lindros when looking at the 10 year mark, in fact besting him there as we know Lindros had a major injury history and shorter career. But even at 7 years there is only a small advantage offensively for Lindros. In fact adding them together, they both come out to 161 points Vsx between 10 year/7year. Now Lindros is obviously the better player as a whole. He was tied for the lead league in scoring once and won a Hart. Obviously a very physical player, huge body. Lindros was a good playoff performer although his sample size is very small. 57 points in 53 games, whereas Turgeon had 97 in 109. So basically you have twice the sample size to pull from with the latter. Neither won a title but both were never a dead weight in the postseason despite never hoisting the SC. A big factor here is Lindros' injury history. He's going up against massive bodies like Holik/Mahovlich who aren't giving an inch physically as well as a very big and very hard hitting top 3 Dmen (Horton, Stuart and Langway). If he wants to try and win with a straight up physical approach, it's not likely to go well. Hershey has the size and physicality to match up well with Lindros and take away his greatest strength.

Tkachuk is superior to Tommy Smith by a good amount. Tkachuk is routinely an 8th or 9th round type pick (32 teams) whereas Smith generally falls down to the bottom 2/3rds of the draft (this time round 15). It's hard to quantify the super early era players from a standard offensive standpoint but Smith had a couple of stellar scoring seasons in a legit league (NHA) between 1912-1915. I don't look at him as being a particularly strong SC player. In 4 SC challenges he scored 9 goals in 9 games. Today that would be tremendous but many others had stronger (some by quite a bit) resumes as scorers in the SC finals (Ernie Russell for example). Certainly not the lower end player that Tkachuk admittedly was, but not a world beater either by my estimation.

I think Stasiuk is a better overall player than Ernie Russell but the latter is the more explosive scorer. Russell had brilliant goal scoring totals, not far off Russell Bowie's as the top scorer from the early 1900's. I think ER will be able to generate chances and my MO is to get shots on net and score dirty, tough goals. Tkachuk should do well in the slot and crease here. Russell is also very versatile as he played significant time at C, RW and rover during his HOF career.

The big thing Russell brings to my team and 2nd line is incredible SC dominance. His play during the SC challenge games is only rivaled by one of my other F's (Frank Foyston) and perhaps Frank Nighbor. He also had a huge game in a Cup final vs the NJ Swamp Devils goalie, Hugh Lehman, beating him 4 times for goals in a 7-3 win. Consider:

Russell's Stanley Cup Scoring Dominance

According to The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, here are the playoff and cup final goals leaders through 1926:

Name|GP|G
Frank McGee|22|63
Frank Foyston|47|37
Alf Smith|22|36
Ernie Russell |11|31
Newsy Lalonde|29|27
Tom Phillips|16|27
Harry Westwick|24|26
Marty Walsh|8|25
Ernie Johnson|21|23
Joe Malone|15|23
Pud Glass|16|23
Harry Smith|7|21

But, not all cup games are created equal. Some players played in easy Stanley Cup matches, including Russell. Let's look at the leaders as apples-to-apples, three different ways. First, here are these leaders with "easy" matches removed:

Name|GP|G
Frank Foyston |47|37
Newsy Lalonde|29|27
Frank McGee|14|26
Tom Phillips|14|23
Ernie Russell |8|18
Ernie Johnson|16|18
Alf Smith|14|14
Harry Smith|5|13
Pud Glass|11|13
Harry Westwick|16|11
Joe Malone|12|9
Marty Walsh|3|7

Russell is one of only three on this list who averaged over 2 GPG in the "legitimate" matches, the others being Harry Smith and Marty Walsh, who combined for 8 "legitimate" matches.

Now let's look at only the Wanderer forwards during the years in which they played cup games (1906-1910) since the core of the team stayed mostly the same:

Name|GP|G
Ernie Russell |11|31
Pud Glass|16|23
Ernie Johnson|16|19
Lester Patrick|8|11
***** *********|7|5

But of course, some of those were the easy, lopsided games. Let's look at these Wanderers forwards based on just the "legitimate" matches:

Name|GP|G
Ernie Russell |8|18
Pud Glass|11|13
Ernie Johnson|11|13
Lester Patrick|6|7
***** *********|5|4

So not only did Russell carry the offensive load for this dynasty, but he also relied very little on lopsided matches to boost his totals.

Ernie Russell evidence playing on wing (for most of 1906)

Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette: March 3, 1906:
Blatchford is not yet in shape to play, but Lester Patrick is, and he will be out in the rover position, Ernie Russell leaving centre for the wing.

Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette: December 27, 1906:

Russell.....L. Wing

Lester Patrick and Russell were the most consistent players throughout, their work being evident in the first half as well as in the second.

New Glasgow was a man short when Russell moved into the limelight and scored goal three.

Lester Patrick moved down the ice in nice style and handed the puck to Russell, who slipped it past Morrison.

Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette: February 15, 1906:

Wanderers win 6-2 over Montreal

Russell.......Right wing

Summary:--

2.....Wanderers....Russell.......3.00
5.....Wanderers....Russell.......2.00

Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette: March 12. 1906

Russell......Right......

SUMMARY.

1. Wanderers....Russell....6.55
2. Wanderers....Russell....10.05
3. Wanderers....Russell....6.00

SECOND HALF.

6. Wanderers....Russell....4.55
8. Wanderers....Russell....2.32
13. Wanderers...Russell... .22

Russell Scores 4 Goals against Hugh Lehman in Stanley Cup Championship at RW

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
NHA league champions take over Stanley Cup[edit]
The Wanderers having won the O'Brien trophy won regular season championship of the NHA and took possession of the Cup from Ottawa. They had a challenge from Berlin, champions of the Ontario Professional Hockey League and easily defeated them. For 1910, there would be two Stanley Cup holders, Ottawa until March, and Montreal for the rest of the year.

§Wanderers vs. Berlin[edit]
March 12

Berlin 3 at Wanderers 7

Hugh Lehman, Capt. G William "Riley" Hern|
Albert Seibert 1 P Jack Marshall|
Harvey Corbeau 1 CP Ernie Johnson|
E. "Toad" Edmunds RO Frank "Pud" Glass, Capt.|
Roy Anderson C Harry Hyland 3|
Ezra Dumart RW Ernie Russell 4|
Oren Frood 1 LW Jimmy Gardner|

I think when looking at the 3rd lines you have two players on Hershey that are superior as 3rd line players to any 3 of the NJ 3rd line players. Klukay is arguably the greatest defensive winger of all time and an elite PK option to match. Armstrong brings a strong all around game with elite leadership and championship experience as a Captain. Herhsey has a stronger defensive presence and a more physical line all together here if looking at things in a traditional sense. I don't see Paiement as anything other than a scoring power forward on some really poor historical teams in the 70's/80's. I certainly don't think he'll do much in the way of halting an opposing W defensively from what i can gather through bio's and a look at his numbers overall. He obviously brings solid offensive value for a 3rd line player though.

Colville is another player who i think is probably stronger offensively than on D (although he was more of a 2 way player and no slouch in his own end). His VsX (72.1) is solid for a 3rd line C but if i feel like i need to up the offensive acumen on my 3rd unit i can always shift Mahovlich up and his VsX is actually slightly better over 7 years at 73.8. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1361409&page=8 and again Mahovlich is going to bring a massive body and even more superior PK ability in an all time sense than Colville will. Holik as it stands was a pretty strong defensive player in his own right with a solid Selke record for a player drafted in the 500+ range (5, 7, 9, 11, 14). He also played the bulk of his career in the dead puck era, on a massively tilted defensive minded team in NJ and still managed to put up 50+ points 6 times and 0.57 PPG without featuring much in a top 6 role or getting big PP time. Also the Hershey line features a wealth of SC winning experience with Klukay (4), Armstrong (4) and Holik (2) / Mahovlich (4) combining for 10/12 Cup wins.

Again another strong unit for both squads in multiple areas. I certainly think Hershey has an advantage defensively at ES here as well as being a flat out bigger and more physical group (NJ squad is scrappy for sure won't argue that). NJ has an advantage offensively if looking at the overall numbers we have at our disposal. But again, when factoring in all aspects i think this is close to a wash.

Getting to the 4th line, again i think this is an advantage for Hershey. I'll argue that I have one of the most physical and talented 4th line groups in this draft. The goal for this line is to pound other teams into their own zone and cycle the puck while generating dirty chances. Basically hem the other team in as much as possible and be aggressive in getting the puck deep. No flash needed.

Tocchet is about as ideal as you can get on the 4th line. He brings huge energy, relentless checking at both ends and solid scoring numbers for a 4th line player. Obviously also a near heavy weight if you need to drop the gloves as well. Strong postseason numbers as well especially during his Cup winning run with Pittsburgh. Mahovlich is another strong option on a 4th line. Huge body, can out muscle almost anyone and is at his best playing a physical brand of hockey (bio). Was a standout PK'er in the first half of his career for Montreal AND team Canada. Then blossomed into a higher end play making C later in the 70's when paired with Lafleur. Also, another strong postseason player with 4 titles to his name. Mantha, lastly was more of a defensive specialist but one who was noted to be at least as fast as Howie Morenz and shadowed and shut down the likes of Charlie Conacher (bio). He'll be great on the fore check with his speed getting to the corners and working the boards as well as shadowing scoring line W's. Had a couple of very solid scoring seasons when paired with Morenz later in the 30's. Multiple SC winner.

Special Teams: Wash

Again, i think when looking at our rosters you'll see one has an advantage on the PP and the other on the PK.

Looking at the PK units, i think Hershey has a strong advantage, especially 1st units. The only player on the Bears 1st unit who isn't elite as a PK'er would be Mahovlich and he's still quite good considering his exploits in the Summit series and in 74 being named as tied for 1st as the best penalty killer in the NHL by a coaches poll. Obviously Langway-Horton is going to be elite down a man and Roy is as good as it gets in net. Klukay and Mahovlich (especially him with his reach and size) will really push opposing point men into making quick decisions and creating turnovers in the process. The crease will often be void of opposing forwards with Horton and Langway working down low. Obviously taking away shooting lanes and giving Roy a clear line of sight is paramount and i think this unit will be stellar at doing that.

I don't think NJ's top PK group is all that strong compared to mine. Sullivan is a guy i like and solid option at C but was he ever considered the best in the NHL at killing penalties like Mahovlich was?. Gottselig was another guy who was good but outside of a handful of paper clippings i don't know if you can say he's great. He's certainly not in Klukay's class who's exploits are well documented and folks like Stan Fischler put Joe as one of the 2-3 greatest defensive W's/PK's of all time. Schoenfeld and Arbour are specialists. I think Schoenfeld is a legit #1. He's got strong PK usage and very good kill %'s. Arbour seems very average though. Then Lehman is a big step down from Roy, obviously.

As for the 2nd units, I think they each have solid players and guys who are probably average(ish) or thereabouts. George Armstrong is a pretty strong 2nd unit F. Oates is about average. He was a really good faceoff man and did spend a good chunk of time on the PK in Boston and Washington. Here's a graph i found showing Oates' strong usage despite playing heavy PP minutes and being a top 6 F. Oates certainly is no world beater as PK'er but he seems to have enough history on the kill to be sufficient in a 2nd unit role. He obviously adds some counter ability going the other way over most traditional defensive only F's.

Yes. Here's a junk stat to calculate which forwards played the largest role on both special teams over their career - PP% multiplied by SH%. It doesn't mean anything in itself, simply finds the players with large contributions in both areas over their careers.

Rk | Player | GP | PP% | SH% | PPxSH
1 | Wayne Gretzky | 1487 | 82% | 31% | 0.26
2 | Mario Lemieux | 915 | 94% | 26% | 0.25
3 | Red Berenson | 821 | 62% | 40% | 0.25
4 | Steve Yzerman | 1514 | 69% | 35% | 0.24
5 | Rod Brind'Amour | 1404 | 52% | 46% | 0.24
6 | Dale Mccourt | 532 | 60% | 40% | 0.24
7 | Bobby Clarke | 1147 | 59% | 40% | 0.23
8 | Mark Messier | 1756 | 56% | 41% | 0.23
9 | Phil Esposito | 1047 | 82% | 27% | 0.22
10 | Bill Barber | 903 | 67% | 33% | 0.22
11 | Butch Goring | 1107 | 46% | 46% | 0.21
12 | Pavel Bure | 702 | 73% | 28% | 0.20
13 | Joe Sakic | 1378 | 79% | 25% | 0.20
14 | Doug Gilmour | 1474 | 58% | 34% | 0.20
15 | Adam Oates | 1337 | 72% | 27% | 0.19
16 | Ron Francis | 1731 | 73% | 25% | 0.18
17 | Barry Pederson | 701 | 51% | 36% | 0.18
18 | Stan Mikita | 845 | 71% | 25% | 0.18
19 | Frank Mahovlich | 511 | 70% | 26% | 0.18
20 | Gregg Sheppard | 657 | 35% | 51% | 0.18
21 | Sergei Fedorov | 1249 | 58% | 31% | 0.18
22 | Neal Broten | 1099 | 48% | 37% | 0.18
23 | Alexei Zhamnov | 807 | 71% | 25% | 0.17
24 | Andrew Cassels | 1015 | 55% | 31% | 0.17
25 | Mike Modano | 1400 | 63% | 27% | 0.17

I'd consider Hod Stuart above average on a 2nd line role simply because he was regarded as an elite defender in his day. His huge size and physical nature should do well down low protecting the crease and clearing out bodies and blocking shots. Numminen is another player who is probably underrated in his PK role. Again, going back to the PK usage charts, he played at a near 47% clip and had better than the league average numbers.

A really good comparison is Dejardins. Both played well over 1000 games and killed almost idential % of penalties (ED 47 and TN 46%) and had almost identical above average kill % (ED 0.95 and TN 0.94). The lower the number on the far right the better.

60 | Robyn Regehr | 663 | 47% | 1.04
61 | Sami Salo | 597 | 47% | 0.91
62 | Jay Mckee | 740 | 47% | 0.86
63 | Eric Desjardins | 1143 | 47% | 0.95
64 | Jerry Korab | 825 | 47% | 0.83
65 | Bob Lorimer | 529 | 46% | 1.06
66 | Dale Rolfe | 506 | 46% | 1.01
67 | Teppo Numminen | 1372 | 46% | 0.94
68 | Brendan Witt | 848 | 46% | 1.03
69 | Ed Van Impe | 639 | 46% | 0.82
70 | Joel Quenneville | 803 | 46% | 0.99
71 | Mattias Ohlund | 760 | 46% | 1.00
72 | Mario Marois | 955 | 45% | 0.94
73 | Reed Larson | 904 | 45% | 1.10
74 | Scott Hannan | 671 | 45% | 1.01
75 | Jason Smith | 1008 | 45% | 0.94
76 | Uwe Krupp | 729 | 45% | 0.94
77 | Calle Johansson | 1109 | 45% | 0.87
78 | Dimitri Yushkevich | 786 | 45% | 1.06
79 | Don Awrey | 842 | 45% | 0.90
80 | Bryan Mccabe | 986 | 45% | 1.04
81 | Larry Robinson | 1384 | 45% | 0.86
82 | Toni Lydman | 593 | 45% | 0.97
83 | Rob Ramage | 1044 | 45% | 1.06
84 | Filip Kuba | 602 | 45% | 0.91
85 | Phil Russell | 1016 | 45% | 0.96
86 | Murray Baron | 988 | 44% | 1.02
87 | Ian Turnbull | 628 | 44% | 1.03
88 | Steve Konroyd | 895 | 44% | 1.02
89 | Nick Schultz | 526 | 44% | 0.74
90 | Joe Watson | 763 | 44% | 0.84
91 | Robert Svehla | 655 | 44% | 1.05
92 | Mike O'Connell | 860 | 44% | 0.87
93 | Sean O'Donnell | 1014 | 44% | 0.93
94 | Bill Houlder | 846 | 44% | 0.96
95 | Doug Jarrett | 593 | 44% | 0.84
96 | Mark Hardy | 915 | 44% | 1.12
97 | Doug Bodger | 1071 | 44% | 0.92
98 | Ted Harris | 598 | 44% | 1.06
99 | Sylvain Lefebvre | 945 | 43% | 0.96
100 | Keith Carney | 1018 | 43% | 0.87

............................Going to finish up bottom 6 F's tonight/tomorrow......................

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm just going to quote the parts I'm directly responding to.

87and71 said:
As for Lehman, i haven't read ALL of the project (it's a major read haha) but enough to try and get a feel for how he's viewed in an all time prism. I certainly would agree he seems to have been one of the stars of the early leagues and often was on teams that weren't as strong as some of the powerhouses of the early 1900/1910's. If you want to argue him as a Tony Esposito comparable, i'd listen but still disagree slightly in that those early era teams, especially in the West are far less talented when comparing to the NHL when Esposito was playing. Obviously neither was stellar in the postseason. Their value is more regular season based. But at the end of the day, there really is a massive gap in net between our teams. Roy is the greatest all time and Lehman at best a borderline top 20 (just inside or outside) by most accounts. And it's even wider when factoring in a winner takes all, 7 game series.

What does "Lehman is at best a borderline top 20" even mean? Tony Esposito was ranked 16th by the HOH list and I'm not the only one who thinks that Lehman is on his level. Maybe I'll repost my megaposts on Lehman from the goalies project (based off research other GMs did here) - it would be nice to be able to post them without the history board's usual suspects angrily declaring that the NHL is basically the only thing that matters.

One thing to note is that when people in the early 30s were talking about whether Charlie Gardiner was the best goalie of all-time, the guys he was being compared to were Georges Vezina and Hugh Lehman. Notably not Benedict, Hainsworth, or Worters. Some of that is probably pro-Western leagues homerism by certain people, but at least Hainsworth spent a lot of time in the Western leagues himself (though not the PCHA).

Okay, the short thing on Lehman - noted as a star for 2 decades shortly before he retired. 11 time PCHA 1st Team All-Star, and he didn't even join the PCHA until he was 26 years old after a major bidding war. I really do think his playoff record is the only thing that holds him back from being considered in the same tier as Georges Vezina.

But anyway, he's obviously no Patrick Roy.

As for the D, i think we'd agree most everywhere based on our initial posts, except Langway to Cameron. I think that is more of a solid advantage for Hershey. With 32 teams you could honestly have Langway be a very low end 1 and argue it passing by an all time standard. With him anchoring the 2nd pair as my #3, i think it gives me a big leg up on really any team i match up with. I certainly think Cameron is more than legit as a 3 and a good anchor for a second pair, but he's not THAT close to Langway in all time value IMHO. Completely contrasting styles, with Cameron being a rushing D from the early years and Langway the elite stay at home defender. Langway also dominated in the most explosive offensive era, an era that had a crop of high end all time great F's and D. I think his standing all time is a testament to how good he really was at helping keep other teams from scoring during the 80's. He was also the main cog in turning around a joke franchise in Washington. They never made the playoffs before his arrival and instantly were contenders every year afterwards.

Langway's one of those controversial guys. I'm sure some GMs could buy him as a low-end #1, but I wouldn't be one of them. Personally, I don't see what he has on Jack Stewart or Ching Johnson, both of them regularly All-Stars based on their defensive abilites, for longer than Langway and with more playoff success. Even fans on the history board who saw his whole careers seem very split on him - some like Dark Shadows or Dennis Bonvie would have him a top 100 player of all-time. Others like MS think he's vastly overrated.

This is going to be one of those typical ATD arguments where you try to convince everyone how far apart they are and I try to convince everyone how close they are, etc etc. But anyway, I'm serious about the Stewart and Johnson comparisons.

As for the bottom pairs, i don't think i need to rely on mine as much as anyone due to the personnel i have in my top 4. I can play those guys 2 minutes or so less than most teams and thus expose them to fewer tough situations. Also, its important to note that i have complete faith in Blake and Imlach being able to roll them out against other teams bottom 6 F's and thus not face the same type of offensive power you might see otherwise (like your top line for example).

Your #4 defenseman isn't a worldbeater here, so I think that hurts your ability to hide your bottom pairing a bit.

Also, NJ has 3 lines that can score, so it isn't exactly a team you can hide the bottom pairing from, either. This is the first time I've ever drafted a third line this high (at the expense of my second line wingers though I did get somewhat lucky with Tommy Smith), and I have mixed feelings about the results. But one positive is that you really can't hide your 3rd pairing from strong offensive players.

As for Fetisov, i don't think you're overselling him really. He's pretty much a standard top 8-13 guy all time depending on the level of anti Russian you're dealing with. Horton, i'd put in the 16-18 range comfortably. The difference to me is the offensive ability of Fetisov when comparing the two. I think Horton is easily as good or maybe slightly better in his own end and on the PK. And that's what i need him to be. He's got Stuart next to him to handle the offensive transition and if you read the bio he was THE premier player in the world for multiple seasons mainly due to his ability to skate and generate offense from the back end. Obviously he was huge, very physical and just as good defensively as on offense but this pairing allows each to do what they need to at an elite level.

One would have to be anti-Russian indeed to have Fetisov out of their top 10! Anyway I agree with your assessment of their skillsets, other than to say that I don't think Stuart was ever clearcut better than Russell Bowie, though he might have been better for a few years.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Langway's one of those controversial guys. I'm sure some GMs could buy him as a low-end #1, but I wouldn't be one of them. Personally, I don't see what he has on Jack Stewart or Ching Johnson, both of them regularly All-Stars based on their defensive abilites, for longer than Langway and with more playoff success.

Even if you choose the low end of those comparables (Johnson), Langway is quite superior to Cameron.

Johnson was 37 in the defenseman project and Cameron was 57. Langway was actually 29.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Even if you choose the low end of those comparables (Johnson), Langway is quite superior to Cameron.

Johnson was 37 in the defenseman project and Cameron was 57. Langway was actually 29.

This is where i stand as well. Obviously the All time hockey projects are solid starting points for ranking players but we do have to keep in mind that some are 3-4 years old now. However, Langway is still a borderline top 30 Dman of all time by a consensus group of pretty knowledgeable hockey fans here.

It's also important to note that while Ching Johnson or Jack Stewart may have had slighty better AS records, they certainly didn't play in an era that was offensively dominant or ruled by a tremendous crop of Dmen like Langway was going up against. Jack Stewart for example did most of his damage in the mid 40's or during the peak of WWII. That's notable.

Langway in the 80's won 2 Norris trophies and finished 2nd in Hart in 83-84. I think that is probably the most impressive feat on his resume considering the competition in that era. Also finished 4th in Hart voting in 82-83 and 84-85. Not many Dmen who don't have explosive offensive ability have that Hart record. In fact Paul Coffey NEVER had a Hart finish better than 4th (twice).

Those and other reasons already noted is why i think Langway is a pretty big advantage head to head with Cameron.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Cameron would probably be ranked about 10 spots higher if that project were done today. When we did the project, nobody really had a good idea of how good he was considered overall, other than "worse than Gerard." The following information has all be found about Cameron AFTER the defensemen project was over:

my Harry Cameron profile said:
Cameron was a dominant offensive defenseman (his stats at the bottom of this profile alone tell that), but it's hard to tell how good he was overall, as there were no NHA or early NHL All-Star Teams. But here are data points I've found:

• In 1913 (Cameron's first season in the NHA), he and Frank Nighbor were the two Toronto players selected to the NHA All-Star team that would play the PCHA All-Stars in the second annual All-Star Game between the two of them (Source). Given the fact that each team only carried 2-3 defensemen, this is as close as we have to the equivalent of a First Team NHA All-Star.
  • The Montreal Daily Mail polled readers to create a 1914 All Star Team. Cameron was selected All-Star Point (12 votes at point, 5 at coverpoint). Cleghorn was All-Star Coverpoint (10 votes at coverpoint, 6 votes at point) Source
  • Harry Cameron was the highest paid player on Toronto's 1918 Cup winning team at $900. The rest of the players' salaries ranged from $450 to $750. (Source).
  • 3/21/1919 (Calgary Herald): "Who is the greatest defense player in professional hockey today? Pacific Coast students of the puck chasing game would name Rowe, Johnson or Duncan, but according to eastern critics, Harry Cameron of the Ottawa team carries off the crown. The Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal press rate Cameron as the best in the game today. In the world's series a year ago he was one of the big stars, and Vancouver attributes its defeat chiefly to his wonderful work."

NOTHING in that quote was available to the voters in the HOH defensemen project. We just had Cameron's gaudy stats and a few generic quotes from the typical sources (LOH, The Trail, etc).

So no, I don't think we should ignore the research done on Harry Cameron (largely by myself this time) over the last few years.

(And as I said, I personally would have Langway a bit below Ching Johnson and Jack Stewart due to lack of longevity and playoff success, but that's just me... and I'm sure a few others, but not everyone)

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
- In 1913 (Cameron's first season in the NHA), he and Frank Nighbor were the two Toronto players selected to the NHA All-Star team that would play the PCHA All-Stars in the second annual All-Star Game between the two of them (Source). Given the fact that each team only carried 2-3 defensemen, this is as close as we have to the equivalent of a First Team NHA All-Star.

- The Montreal Daily Mail polled readers to create a 1914 All Star Team. Cameron was selected All-Star Point (12 votes at point, 5 at coverpoint). Cleghorn was All-Star Coverpoint (10 votes at coverpoint, 6 votes at point) Source

Other than Cleghorn, who was Cameron's competition on defense in the NHA at that time? I don't recall the league being especially deep in good blueliners.

I don't much care about Cameron's salary in 1918. That he played very well for that Toronto team has long been part of the record.

Ten spots higher, eh? You're not going soft on this one, I see. Forgive me for my skepticism. Do you know exactly when Cameron started playing forward?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Forwards

Again, just quoting the parts I'm responding to

Forwards: Big Advantage for NJ with 1st Line (not so much after).

NJ also has a big advantage on the 3rd line and at least something of an advantage on the 4th line, mainly because our centers are much better.

Much like the Les Renard team, the NJ line has a strong 1st line, led by Cyclone Taylor. However, i will say it isn't as dangerous as the Ovechkin-Mikita-Alf Smith as a whole, which i was able to overcome in the 1st round. Mikita > Taylor as is Ovechkin > Joliet. I was able to win despite that disadvantage between 1st lines, and now have a much greater + in net, and again, this top line isn't quite as good Les Renards was.

I agree that Mikita/Ovechkin is better than Taylor/Joliat , but you're really glossing over the impact of NJ having 3 top notch players on the top line, while someone like Alf Smith is basically just a grinder at this level. Relevant to this series, Bryan Hextall is better than any winger on Hershey, and perhaps comparable in talent to Hershey's best overall forward (Oates).

While it's a well built line it is a line that I feel i can slow down with a physical approach and stellar defensive play from Klukay - Holik - Armstrong along with my top pair of high end defensive players in Stuart-Horton. With Klukay (elite) and Armstrong's (very good) defensive play putting a major hindrance on the NJ wingers, i can force Cyclone Taylor into a more one dimensional role and having to face a bigger and vastly more physical player in Holik.

Again, that really isn't Holik's strong suit. His one ATD-level skill is being able to match up with and troll big, strong opposing centers. He'd be quite effective against Eric Lindros, but as a Devils fan, I have bad memories of him constantly a step behind Joe Sakic and generally getting torched in the 2001 Cup finals, and I don't see how it would be any different with Cyclone Taylor.

And while Holik will give up a speed advantage, you still have an elite skating blue liner in Stuart behind him as well as Horton. Even with the advantage in speed i don't see Taylor being able to run the gauntlet against the F line or D pair here. And even in a rare occurrence the D breaks down Roy is as good as it gets as a last line of defense in net. It's a 3 step defensive system and one that i feel can slow down and stop even the best built 1st lines. I don't see NJ being able to win consistently down low or in the corners. Klukay and Armstrong were bigger and were elite checkers and defensive standouts. And the high traffic areas are going to be dominated by a massive Stuart and Horton who was said to be the strongest player of his day.

Hard to tell with an early guy like Hod Stuart, but Tim Horton absolutely was not an elite skater. He wasn't bad, but his superhuman strength is what he was praised for the most.

And again, if you want to talk winning battles in corners, Bryan Hextall was an extremely physical player and specifically noted for usually winning battles in corners.

As for the second lines, if we look at VsX to start there really isn't an advantage for either side. In fact i could argue that Hershey has a slight advantage:

VsX: 10 year/7 year

Lindros: 76/85
Turgeon: 78.9/82.1

Smith: N/A
Tkachuk: 73.9/79

Stasiuk: N/A/64.3
Russell: NA

It's harder to compare straight up offensive value but as you can see, from a pure offensive output, Turgeon stacks up well against Lindros when looking at the 10 year mark, in fact besting him there as we know Lindros had a major injury history and shorter career. But even at 7 years there is only a small advantage offensively for Lindros. In fact adding them together, they both come out to 161 points Vsx between 10 year/7year. Now Lindros is obviously the better player as a whole. He was tied for the lead league in scoring once and won a Hart. Obviously a very physical player, huge body. Lindros was a good playoff performer although his sample size is very small. 57 points in 53 games, whereas Turgeon had 97 in 109. So basically you have twice the sample size to pull from with the latter. Neither won a title but both were never a dead weight in the postseason despite never hoisting the SC. A big factor here is Lindros' injury history. He's going up against massive bodies like Holik/Mahovlich who aren't giving an inch physically as well as a very big and very hard hitting top 3 Dmen (Horton, Stuart and Langway). If he wants to try and win with a straight up physical approach, it's not likely to go well. Hershey has the size and physicality to match up well with Lindros and take away his greatest strength.

Yeah, well, is anyone surprised that a player like Eric Lindros, who regularly missed 10-25 games per season doesn't have the best VsX? VsX is basically the most favorable metric towards Turgeon. Here are a couple metrics that favor Lindros:

Top point-per-game-rankings Lindros: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 6, 9, 9
Top point-per-game-rankings Turgeon: 4, 5, 6, 8, 9

Lindros actually had 3 years in a row (1995-1997) where he only finished behind Lemieux and Jagr in PPG.

Here's another way to look at it:

Games played at a top 5 scoring pace Lindros: 338 (31st all-time)
Games played at a top 5 scoring pace Turgeon: 112 (I calculated this myself; think I did it right)

Note that matnor's games played at a top 5 pace is a metric that favors players like Crosby, Forsberg, and Lindros who were top 5 scorers year after year when healthy, but regularly missed games every year.

But yeah, Turgeon was a lot healthier than Lindros, which bridges the gap somewhat.

However, like I said before, if the soft Turgeon goes head to head with Lindros, he's getting beaten up.

Tkachuk is superior to Tommy Smith by a good amount. Tkachuk is routinely an 8th or 9th round type pick (32 teams) whereas Smith generally falls down to the bottom 2/3rds of the draft (this time round 15). It's hard to quantify the super early era players from a standard offensive standpoint but Smith had a couple of stellar scoring seasons in a legit league (NHA) between 1912-1915. I don't look at him as being a particularly strong SC player. In 4 SC challenges he scored 9 goals in 9 games. Today that would be tremendous but many others had stronger (some by quite a bit) resumes as scorers in the SC finals (Ernie Russell for example). Certainly not the lower end player that Tkachuk admittedly was, but not a world beater either by my estimation.

I think Stasiuk is a better overall player than Ernie Russell but the latter is the more explosive scorer. Russell had brilliant goal scoring totals, not far off Russell Bowie's as the top scorer from the early 1900's. I think ER will be able to generate chances and my MO is to get shots on net and score dirty, tough goals. Tkachuk should do well in the slot and crease here. Russell is also very versatile as he played significant time at C, RW and rover during his HOF career.

The big thing Russell brings to my team and 2nd line is incredible SC dominance. His play during the SC challenge games is only rivaled by one of my other F's (Frank Foyston) and perhaps Frank Nighbor. He also had a huge game in a Cup final vs the NJ Swamp Devils goalie, Hugh Lehman, beating him 4 times for goals in a 7-3 win. Consider:

I think it makes more sense to compare Tkachuk and Stasiuk as the tough guys on the respective lines. I think both are similarly tough, with Tkachuk quite a bit better as a goal scorer and Stasiuk quite a bit better defensively. In a vacuum, Tkachuk is definitely the better than Stasiuk because the goal scoring advantage isn't small. But again, Tkachuk was generally bad defensively and he's playing next to a center in Turgeon who was also generally bad defensively.

And then comparing Tommy Smith with Ernie Russell - both our teams got lucky to get these two early goal scoring stars early. Perhaps a more detailed comparison would be useful, but I think Tommy Smith is probably better - his prime lasted longer, he is more proven against stronger competition (namely, the NHA, in particular his teammate Joe Malone), and he seems to have been remembered as one of the elite goal scorers of his era decades after he retired.

TLDR version: Tkachuk is better than Stasiuk and Smith is probably better than Russell. Perhaps a small advantage on the wings to Hershey in a vacuum, but NJ has the much more impactful overall center, and Hershey's line as currently constructed is a defensive liability.
----

I think when looking at the 3rd lines you have two players on Hershey that are superior as 3rd line players to any 3 of the NJ 3rd line players. Klukay is arguably the greatest defensive winger of all time and an elite PK option to match. Armstrong brings a strong all around game with elite leadership and championship experience as a Captain. Herhsey has a stronger defensive presence and a more physical line all together here if looking at things in a traditional sense. I don't see Paiement as anything other than a scoring power forward on some really poor historical teams in the 70's/80's. I certainly don't think he'll do much in the way of halting an opposing W defensively from what i can gather through bio's and a look at his numbers overall. He obviously brings solid offensive value for a 3rd line player though.

Holy oversell on Klukay - greatest defensive winger of all-time is a joke. But yes, he is the best defensive player and worst scorer on either 3rd line.

Paiement was an extremely physical player who was a decent two-way guy.

Anyway, NJ's 3rd line is not a traditional shutdown line (that's our 4th line).

Colville is another player who i think is probably stronger offensively than on D (although he was more of a 2 way player and no slouch in his own end). His VsX (72.1) is solid for a 3rd line C but if i feel like i need to up the offensive acumen on my 3rd unit i can always shift Mahovlich up and his VsX is actually slightly better over 7 years at 73.8. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1361409&page=8 and again Mahovlich is going to bring a massive body and even more superior PK ability in an all time sense than Colville will. Holik as it stands was a pretty strong defensive player in his own right with a solid Selke record for a player drafted in the 500+ range (5, 7, 9, 11, 14). He also played the bulk of his career in the dead puck era, on a massively tilted defensive minded team in NJ and still managed to put up 50+ points 6 times and 0.57 PPG without featuring much in a top 6 role or getting big PP time. Also the Hershey line features a wealth of SC winning experience with Klukay (4), Armstrong (4) and Holik (2) / Mahovlich (4) combining for 10/12 Cup wins.

Colville is a better offensive player than Pete Mahovlich and it isn't close. You're forgetting two things:

1) Colville came back from WW2 and played a few years as a defenseman, earning a 2nd Team All-Star as D. He's obviously not getting much VsX credit for that time.

2) Linemates. Colville was the offensive engine of his line, generally playing between his brother Mac Colville and a revolving door of LWs. More importantly, if there was ever a player whose statistical peak was a product of a superstar linemate, it was Pete Mahovlich. Seriously, this obsession with VsX is causing some GMs to miss the forest threw the trees. Mahovlich broke 100 points finishing 5th and 6th in NHL scoring in his 2 seasons centering Lafleur, while barely getting any All-Star votes. Other than those two seasons with Lafleur, Mahovlich was never even a point-per game player, topping out at 73 points without Lafleur (23rd in NHL scoring).

Getting to the 4th line, again i think this is an advantage for Hershey. I'll argue that I have one of the most physical and talented 4th line groups in this draft. The goal for this line is to pound other teams into their own zone and cycle the puck while generating dirty chances. Basically hem the other team in as much as possible and be aggressive in getting the puck deep. No flash needed.

Tocchet is about as ideal as you can get on the 4th line. He brings huge energy, relentless checking at both ends and solid scoring numbers for a 4th line player. Obviously also a near heavy weight if you need to drop the gloves as well. Strong postseason numbers as well especially during his Cup winning run with Pittsburgh. Mahovlich is another strong option on a 4th line. Huge body, can out muscle almost anyone and is at his best playing a physical brand of hockey (bio). Was a standout PK'er in the first half of his career for Montreal AND team Canada. Then blossomed into a higher end play making C later in the 70's when paired with Lafleur. Also, another strong postseason player with 4 titles to his name. Mantha, lastly was more of a defensive specialist but one who was noted to be at least as fast as Howie Morenz and shadowed and shut down the likes of Charlie Conacher (bio). He'll be great on the fore check with his speed getting to the corners and working the boards as well as shadowing scoring line W's. Had a couple of very solid scoring seasons when paired with Morenz later in the 30's. Multiple SC winner.

Frankly, I think I could argue that NJ's 4th line is better than comparable to Hershey's 3rd line, because it is much better at the most important position (center). Red Sullivan was top 10 in NHL scoring twice and top 10 in NHL assists 3 times, made 5 All-Star Games based on merit, and was voted the best defensive forward and 2nd best penalty killer in the league in 1958 by NHL coaches. NJ's overall superiority at the center ice position is not small.

Wingers... Bob Davidson is basically a lesser Klukay (4 to 2 "Retro Selkes" in favor of Klukay for anyone who cares about such things). Houle is definitely a lesser player than George Armstrong by a good margin, however.

Short version - George Armstrong >>> Bobby Holik (who isn't so good when not checking big centers) or Pete Mahovlich. And on checking lines in particular, I think the center is most important. George Armstrong >>>>>> Rejean Houle (I'm really high on Armstrong), Klukay > Davidson (I don't find the gap that big as I find Klukay generally overrated here due to the questionable source Ultimate Hockey).

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Other than Cleghorn, who was Cameron's competition on defense in the NHA at that time? I don't recall the league being especially deep in good blueliners.

I don't much care about Cameron's salary in 1918. That he played very well for that Toronto team has long been part of the record.

Ten spots higher, eh? You're not going soft on this one, I see. Forgive me for my skepticism. Do you know exactly when Cameron started playing forward?

He started playing forward when he left the NHL, I believe.

When I said "10 spots higher," I was making note of the fact that Georges Boucher was ranked 48 and Harry Cameron was ranked 57. Mainly because your good research on Boucher was done before the project, while nobody had really done an archives search on Cameron yet. Cameron kept falling round after round because basically voters were like "I know he was great, but I have trouble figuring out how great."

FWIW, I don't think 10 spots is that big a difference when you get into the 40s and 50s, it's basically "one step/tier" or whatever.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Special Teams

I think NJ has a pretty big advantage, mainly because Hershey probably has the worst PP in the league. The 1st unit uses Hod Stuart as the only pointman (and I don't find him particulary good at that), has no star up front, and relies a lot on playoff choker Tkachuk to score goals. The 2nd unit has Pete Mahovlich, who has no business being on an ATD PP, with nobody else particulary strong for his role. That's what you get when you wait so long to draft forwards and your best offensive defenseman is Hod Stuart.

Hershey has a better 1st PK absolutely, but NJ's isn't rock bottom or anything, with Gottselig in particular strong in his role. I actually prefer NJ's 2nd PK to Hershey's, though it's pretty close.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
VsX is basically the most favorable metric towards Turgeon.

Not really. VsX is actually pretty cruel to him compared to most other contemporaries. There are a few reasons for this - one is badly timed injuries. What would have been his three best seasons are treated as his 4th, 8th and 9th best because of 67 games missed across them, treating his results the same as though they were attained in 248 games when it was just 181. Second is that a couple of his best seasons have benchmarks that are just too high. That hurts everyone in the league, but a player whose prime touches both those seasons is hurt more. Third is that he was unnaturally consistent. We tend to use a 7-year sample to judge offensive primes but we also tend to give no extra credit for longevity and consistency, making his score look only about as good as some 10-year veteran with 7 good seasons. If you pretend his very best 7 seasons never happened, he would still have a VsX-next-7 of 474, making him a very good MLD scoring center.

Also, I can't find Matnor's thread to check if you calculated the "games played at a top-5 pace" thing the right way, but I don't think it was quite as easy as adding up a player's GP in the seasons that they're credited for a top-5 PPG finish.

Anyway.... Lindros/Turgeon is a mismatch nonetheless. Lindros is obviously the better all-around player and scorer. In a Turgeon/xxxx comparison I would demonstrate that "Turgeon is a 20% better scorer but will miss 10% more games" and the same kind of thing applies to Lindros here. You could probably expect Lindros to miss one of the 6-7 games in this series, and still score one more point, while being a beast physically.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Not really. VsX is actually pretty cruel to him compared to most other contemporaries. There are a few reasons for this - one is badly timed injuries. What would have been his three best seasons are treated as his 4th, 8th and 9th best because of 67 games missed across them, treating his results the same as though they were attained in 248 games when it was just 181. Second is that a couple of his best seasons have benchmarks that are just too high. That hurts everyone in the league, but a player whose prime touches both those seasons is hurt more. Third is that he was unnaturally consistent. We tend to use a 7-year sample to judge offensive primes but we also tend to give no extra credit for longevity and consistency, making his score look only about as good as some 10-year veteran with 7 good seasons. If you pretend his very best 7 seasons never happened, he would still have a VsX-next-7 of 474, making him a very good MLD scoring center.

Also, I can't find Matnor's thread to check if you calculated the "games played at a top-5 pace" thing the right way, but I don't think it was quite as easy as adding up a player's GP in the seasons that they're credited for a top-5 PPG finish.

Anyway.... Lindros/Turgeon is a mismatch nonetheless. Lindros is obviously the better all-around player and scorer. In a Turgeon/xxxx comparison I would demonstrate that "Turgeon is a 20% better scorer but will miss 10% more games" and the same kind of thing applies to Lindros here. You could probably expect Lindros to miss one of the 6-7 games in this series, and still score one more point, while being a beast physically.

Compared to every other measure commonly used on this forum (top 10 finishes, even strength scoring, any per-game measure, all-star voting), VsX is the most favorable towards Turgeon. Okay, not just VsX, any percentile method like Vs2, etc. Methods that reward consistency of regular season scoring and basically longer careers or at least longer primes. Anyway, I will be the first to say that if you are going to only use one evaluation tool for scoring line forwards, VsX is likely the best one, but I don't think it should be the only one.

(I also linked to matnor's thread in my post, but here it is again: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=878672)

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Forwards

Again, just quoting the parts I'm responding to

NJ also has a big advantage on the 3rd line and at least something of an advantage on the 4th line, mainly because our centers are much better.

I agree that Mikita/Ovechkin is better than Taylor/Joliat , but you're really glossing over the impact of NJ having 3 top notch players on the top line, while someone like Alf Smith is basically just a grinder at this level. Relevant to this series, Bryan Hextall is better than any winger on Hershey, and perhaps comparable in talent to Hershey's best overall forward (Oates).

Again, that really isn't Holik's strong suit. His one ATD-level skill is being able to match up with and troll big, strong opposing centers. He'd be quite effective against Eric Lindros, but as a Devils fan, I have bad memories of him constantly a step behind Joe Sakic and generally getting torched in the 2001 Cup finals, and I don't see how it would be any different with Cyclone Taylor.

Hard to tell with an early guy like Hod Stuart, but Tim Horton absolutely was not an elite skater. He wasn't bad, but his superhuman strength is what he was praised for the most.

And again, if you want to talk winning battles in corners, Bryan Hextall was an extremely physical player and specifically noted for usually winning battles in corners.

Yeah, well, is anyone surprised that a player like Eric Lindros, who regularly missed 10-25 games per season doesn't have the best VsX? VsX is basically the most favorable metric towards Turgeon. Here are a couple metrics that favor Lindros:

Top point-per-game-rankings Lindros: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 6, 9, 9
Top point-per-game-rankings Turgeon: 4, 5, 6, 8, 9

Lindros actually had 3 years in a row (1995-1997) where he only finished behind Lemieux and Jagr in PPG.

Here's another way to look at it:

Games played at a top 5 scoring pace Lindros: 338 (31st all-time)
Games played at a top 5 scoring pace Turgeon: 112 (I calculated this myself; think I did it right)

Note that matnor's games played at a top 5 pace is a metric that favors players like Crosby, Forsberg, and Lindros who were top 5 scorers year after year when healthy, but regularly missed games every year.

But yeah, Turgeon was a lot healthier than Lindros, which bridges the gap somewhat.

However, like I said before, if the soft Turgeon goes head to head with Lindros, he's getting beaten up.

I think it makes more sense to compare Tkachuk and Stasiuk as the tough guys on the respective lines. I think both are similarly tough, with Tkachuk quite a bit better as a goal scorer and Stasiuk quite a bit better defensively. In a vacuum, Tkachuk is definitely the better than Stasiuk because the goal scoring advantage isn't small. But again, Tkachuk was generally bad defensively and he's playing next to a center in Turgeon who was also generally bad defensively.

And then comparing Tommy Smith with Ernie Russell - both our teams got lucky to get these two early goal scoring stars early. Perhaps a more detailed comparison would be useful, but I think Tommy Smith is probably better - his prime lasted longer, he is more proven against stronger competition (namely, the NHA, in particular his teammate Joe Malone), and he seems to have been remembered as one of the elite goal scorers of his era decades after he retired.

TLDR version: Tkachuk is better than Stasiuk and Smith is probably better than Russell. Perhaps a small advantage on the wings to Hershey in a vacuum, but NJ has the much more impactful overall center, and Hershey's line as currently constructed is a defensive liability.
----

Holy oversell on Klukay - greatest defensive winger of all-time is a joke. But yes, he is the best defensive player and worst scorer on either 3rd line.

Paiement was an extremely physical player who was a decent two-way guy.

Anyway, NJ's 3rd line is not a traditional shutdown line (that's our 4th line).

Colville is a better offensive player than Pete Mahovlich and it isn't close. You're forgetting two things:

1) Colville came back from WW2 and played a few years as a defenseman, earning a 2nd Team All-Star as D. He's obviously not getting much VsX credit for that time.

2) Linemates. Colville was the offensive engine of his line, generally playing between his brother Mac Colville and a revolving door of LWs. More importantly, if there was ever a player whose statistical peak was a product of a superstar linemate, it was Pete Mahovlich. Seriously, this obsession with VsX is causing some GMs to miss the forest threw the trees. Mahovlich broke 100 points finishing 5th and 6th in NHL scoring in his 2 seasons centering Lafleur, while barely getting any All-Star votes. Other than those two seasons with Lafleur, Mahovlich was never even a point-per game player, topping out at 73 points without Lafleur (23rd in NHL scoring).

Frankly, I think I could argue that NJ's 4th line is better than comparable to Hershey's 3rd line, because it is much better at the most important position (center). Red Sullivan was top 10 in NHL scoring twice and top 10 in NHL assists 3 times, made 5 All-Star Games based on merit, and was voted the best defensive forward and 2nd best penalty killer in the league in 1958 by NHL coaches. NJ's overall superiority at the center ice position is not small.

Wingers... Bob Davidson is basically a lesser Klukay (4 to 2 "Retro Selkes" in favor of Klukay for anyone who cares about such things). Houle is definitely a lesser player than George Armstrong by a good margin, however.

Short version - George Armstrong >>> Bobby Holik (who isn't so good when not checking big centers) or Pete Mahovlich. And on checking lines in particular, I think the center is most important. George Armstrong >>>>>> Rejean Houle (I'm really high on Armstrong), Klukay > Davidson (I don't find the gap that big as I find Klukay generally overrated here due to the questionable source Ultimate Hockey).

Let's take a look at where the 3rd and 4th line players were drafted:

Klukay - 290
Holik - 546
Armstrong - 287

1123 ADP (3rd line Hershey)

Mantha - 627
Mahovlich - 415
Tocchet - 418

1460 ADP (4th line Hershey)

Gottselig - 362
Colville - 298
Paiement - 490

1150 ADP total (3rd line NJ)

Davidson - 544
Sullivan - 426
Houele - 535

1505 ADP (NJ 4th line)

Why do this? None of these players were extremely good/bad value relative to their draft position IMO. Now with that being said, it's interesting to note that you simply don't possess better players based on the value of draft position. Saying that your 3rd line is far superior is a bit disengenous IMHO. Colville is the only player on your 3rd line that can argue being as good an ATD player as Klukay and Armstrong. Gottselig is a poor mans Klukay and Paiement really is a pretty weak 3rd line player to me at least, standard or otherwise.

Klukay is absolutely one of the greatest defensive wingers of all time. Best? Probably not but he's waaaay up there.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=65039825&postcount=268

http://redwingslegends.blogspot.com/2007/10/marty-pavelich.html

For instance you can see a pretty damn good hockey historian in Stan Fischler rank Klukay among his top 4 defensive forwards ever. In fact only Provost was ranked higher, ever. Given his age and when he was born anything from the late 40's onward would be in Fischler's wheel house, so he's obviously seen a ton of great players over the years.

So good was he at shutting down the opposition, Stan Fischler, a famous hockey author, ranked him as the 4th best defensive forward of all time in his book Hockey's 100. Only Claude Provost, Joe Klukay and Ed Westfall ranked ahead Marty (Pavelich)

Another article shows more favorable mentions of Klukay:

http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.com/2007/10/joe-klukay.html

Joe Klukay is one of the greatest defensive forwards to ever play the game of hockey.

A strong skater with an above average understanding of the game, Joe learned from the legendary defensive forward Nick Metz when he was a rookie in Toronto in 1946. The two formed a very effective penalty killing unit, often using an uncommon tactic back in those days - heavy forechecking while short handed.

"We just concocted a system for us," explained the man they dubbed the Duke of Paducah. "It had to be the easiest, the most effective way to go about killing a penalty. You had one guy going in and we'd try to contain them in their own end. It worked for ten years so we couldn't knock it."

Klukay, who was a very effective forechecker, using his speed to jump in on defensemen and his dogged determination and strength to thump the blueliner and create turnovers, was a very important cog of the Leafs Stanley Cup championships of that era, 4 all together.

Klukay was assigned to shadow the immortal Gordie Howe. Klukay held Howe to only 2 goals in 6 games, a remarkable achievement.

Klukay was a player who could play anywhere along the F line and either greatly contain or shut down completely some of the greatest players (like Howe) ever to play the game. There are very few W's in the ATD who aren't completely overmatched by F's who are taken high in the 1st round. Klukay is absolutely one of those few and i'll argue that for 10 pages if i have to, because quite frankly there is plenty of evidence to support it. :)

In fact Klukay can absolutely take some of the shadowing responsibilities of Taylor in the defensive zone. He wouldn't be out of his element in the least and quite frankly was a strong enough skater not to be over-matched in a way like Holik would be. If Klukay can greatly help slow down a player like Gordie Howe, he can be hypothesized to do the same to a player like Cyclone Taylor. And that isn't even bringing a superior defensive top pairing (Stuart-Horton) into the equation or having the premier goalie in net you have to beat (Roy). You can bet your dollars Blake and Imlach will be rolling that duo out against your top line almost exclusively. They'll get the match ups right 99% of the time.

And if you want to look at era's and competition Colville for example was a product of the late, late 30's and 40's when honestly, from an NHL standpoint you probably never had a weaker pool of players top to bottom. Not to mention, comparing 06 players who had far less competition (# of teams = # of total players) to more modern players is always tricky. Gottselig for example had his best year in 38-39? How GOOD was the NHL at that point really, compared to other era's/decades????

Bob Davidson? Best years were between 42 and 45. You can't knock a guy like Flash Hollet for example for decreased talent and not say the same about Davidson's peak IMO. Red Sullivan is a guy i targeted and like as much or more than most. But his playoff resume for example is pretty bleak. 18 games and 3 points. 4 of his 5 trips to the postseason he was held without a single point, so he's more or less a defensive player in a 7 game series historically.

You're certainly not going to say that about Mahovlich for example. His SC playoff record is strong. In the 4 SC winning runs he scored 50 points in 63 games. 2 of those years he was a bottom 6 player (71 and 73) and in fact had his 2nd best scoring output 16 points in 20 games during the 71 run. He scored 16 in 11 games in 75 (not a cup year)

As for the Turgeon vs Lindros part. As i said and anyone would say, Lindros is clearly the superior player. His biggest flaw is obviously injuries and going up against the likes of Holik/Mahovlich and Stuart, Horton, and Langway and Randall (very rarely), he's not going to last long if he wants to go nutso in the banging his body around department.

Also it's important to note that Turgeon probably won't see Lindros on the ice anyway, so a physical comparison is really moot. Lindros is largely going to see Mahovlich and occasionally Holik with the rest of the 3rd and 4th lines.

I DO think Russell is better than Tommy Smith mainly because Russell's SC brilliance is one of the 3/4 best of any player up until the 19 teens or so. I've posted that already and you can view that in his bio.

And i think Tkachuk brings more overall value than Stasiuk.

I'll get into the rest of the special teams stuff later tonight......................

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
One of my biggest things here is that I think the Turgeon line is one of the worst in the draft defensively. I think it's so bad that it's hard to actually deploy it effectively. If they turn over the puck.. it's bad times.

87, how do you plan on using this line?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I do almost wonder if it makes sense to swap Foyston and Tkachuk.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
One of my biggest things here is that I think the Turgeon line is one of the worst in the draft defensively. I think it's so bad that it's hard to actually deploy it effectively. If they turn over the puck.. it's bad times.

87, how do you plan on using this line?

Honestly, you bring up a valid point and i think at the end of the day putting Foyston on the 2nd line and moving Tkachuk up is probably the best bet. Foyston at least brings some semblance of defense to the line and obviously the offensive trade off is little. The 2nd line would then have 2 very clutch SC playoff performers in Foyston and Russell. Tkachuk is supported by Oates and Pitre who were both strong in the postseason.

I think that's what i'll do. Hershey will move Foyston to the 2nd line and Tkachuk up to line 1.

I think Tkachuk will greatly benefit to from the rebound chances generated by Pitre's legendary shot power. Pitre was also an elite skater and big body who played a more physical game then he's been credited for after i unearthed a very telling piece that had not been found before (Pitre bio) to my knowledge.

Quote:
I think this should diminish the notion that Pitre was out of shape and overweight for several reasons. One, you have a legit account of somebody who was around Pitre for many years and really the notion that he was overweight and out of shape tend to be from his final few seasons when he was in his late 30's. This to me shows that from at least 1917 and prior, Pitre was a hell of an athlete. How could a man so out of shape and heavy be the fastest in the league, logically? Or possess such acclaim nationally in lacrosse?

The other notion that he was soft should be re-evaluated. I think people tend to mislabel him as "soft" or "gentle" because he wasn't knocking people out with sticks or leading the league in PIMs. Much like a previous pick of mine, Hod Stuart, he seemed to have no trouble throwing his body around, but in a much cleaner manner than what was accustomed in that period.

Originally Posted by The Montreal Daily Mail: March 31, 1917

You've got to hand it to this big hearted deep chested Frenchman, Didier Pitre! He stands out as one of the athletic marvels of a decade. Hockey and lacrosse admittedly are nearer the extremes in physical tests than any other game, yet Pitre has been prominent at both, not for two or three seasons, but for the past twelve years. His record will, no doubt, shine out as one of the finest ever created.

Pitre first came under the spotlight as a member of the old National hockey club at Montreal, with which he and the other Canadien veteran, Jack Laviolette, starred away back in 1904.

Possessing a remarkable constitution, Pitre generally rounds into shape in fast time. A great skater, Pitre appears able to travel with equal speed backwards or forwards. He also has a terrifying shot and a reach that enables him to play havoc with all sorts of combination work. According to goalkeeper Clint Benedict, Pitre's shot is the most dangerous of any of the NHA snipers uncover. Didier is a veteran of the game, but this winter he probably played the fastest hockey of his career. According to George Kennedy he trains as faithfully as any athlete in the East, cuts out smoking in the winter time and always gives his best.

"Pitre earns every cent he gets." Kennedy recently remarked. "He would play until he dropped of sheer exhaustion. I consider him one of the greatest athletes in the country."

At lacrosse Pitre has won equal fame. He has figured on the National attack for about twelve seasons and is regarded as the best outside home in the National Union.....there is a touch of spectacular in everything he does, Pitre is the idol of every French lacrosse enthusiast in the East.

Pitre may have his faults, one of which is a mad temper, but he always plays the game fairly. If he hits a man it is usually with his fist and from the front. He takes and gives punishment without a murmur and never offers excuses. "Didier will never earn any medals for gentlemanly hockey because his checking is naturally hard and he is so big that everything he does appears glaring, yet despite his rather exciting record there is something like-able about the dark haired Frenchman. He goes on the ice or the lacrosse field full of determination; he comes of just as determined to succeed the next time out. The Canadien giant seldom smiles in the thick of play. He carries a frown from start to finish, and may have gained the impression that Pitre must be surly and cranky. Not so, however, for in his tallor mades Pitre is just as amiable a chap as one would possibly want to meet. In fact he is invariably the life of the Canadien and National squads.

George Kennedy attributes Pitre's remarkable staying power and preservation to the fact that he keeps in shape all the year around by playing lacrosse and hockey. Except for a few weeks in the spring, he is constantly training. Pitre himself thinks that his lacrosse has helped his hockey and contends that every man should remain in sport as long as he possibly can.

Many say Pitre is about forty years of age; Didier himself says that he will soon be thirty-two. However, be he thirty, forty, or fifty, the fact remains that on the lacrosse field or on the ice area he is just as fast and as flashy as the youngest recruit in the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad