Jim Robson Division Semi Finals - Baltimore Skipjacks (1) vs NDG Monarchs (4)

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Baltimore Skipjacks (1)

"Hockey is figure skating in a war zone."

Coach: John Tortorella
Captains: Stevens, Clarke, Day

Brendan Shanahan - Bobby Clarke (A) - Reggie Leach
Vic Hadfield
- Connor McDavid - Yvan Cournoyer
Nick Metz
- Steve Kasper - Tomas Sandstrom
Kirk Maltby - Tod Sloan - Mike Foligno
+ Reggie Fleming, Ron Sutter

Scott Stevens (C) - Rob Blake
Hap Day
(A) - Gary Suter
Alex Gusev - Gennady Tsygankov

+ Billy Coutu

Billy Smith

CuJo

PP1: Shanahan - McDavid - Cournoyer - Blake - Suter
PP2: Hadfield - Clarke - Leach - Stevens - Gusev
PK1: Clarke - Metz - Stevens - Day - Smith
PK2: Kasper - Maltby - Blake - Tsygankov - Smith

Estimated minutes chart:

PlayerESPPPKTotal
Clarke153422
Shanahan15419
Cournoyer14418
McDavid14418
Leach14317
Hadfield13316
Metz10414
Kasper10313
Sandstrom1010
Maltby7310
Sloan88
Foligno88
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PlayerESPPPKTotal
Stevens163423
Blake164323
Day16420
Suter16420
Tsygankov14317
Gusev14317
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

VS

NDG MONARCHS (4)

Coach: Mike Keenan/Jacques Martin (assistant)

Kariya-Morenz (C)-Oatman
Heatley-Fedorov (A)-Nevin
Ferguson-McKenney-Richer
Lambert-Luce-Finnigan
Gaudreau

Salming (A)-Baun
RSuter-Abel
Plager-Carlyle
Reinhart

Fuhr
Hodge

PP1: Morenz, Kariya(31),Ferguson(25),Salming(19),Reinhart(28)
PP2: McKenney(24),Heatley(28),Oatman, Suter(18), Fedorov(24-pt)
PK1: Luce(66), Finnigan, Salming(55), Baun
PK2: Fedorov (31%/.83),Nevin(40/.96),Plager(51/1),Abel

Last edited by a moderator:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Okay, I suppose I will start this off.

First thing I can see is with Morenz and Kariya that is a hell of a lot of speed on NDG’s 1st line. If Torts wants to match (and ultimately 1-up that) he can match speed for speed and put McDavid’s line up against that 1st unit. I don’t think the fans in attendance will even be able to follow the play..that would be unreal to watch. So Torts always does have that option of matching speed for speed if he feels the Morenz line will give the Clarke line a hard time in any scenario. At the same time, he will also want to keep Clarke out there against Morenz in certain situations as well, since Bobby can keep him in check with his elite two-way play.

And I like this dynasty goaltending matchup. Smith vs Fuhr!

I have already explained before what Van and I had in mind when building Baltimore and what we ultimately executed with the overall roster and fits within. But I’ll briefly touch on a few things again.

Tough to play against, and a team that can beat you in multiple ways. That was the intention from the beginning. We set out a goal to create a team that will make you work for every inch of ice, who can take your head off, who can score with you, and who can absolutely prevent you from scoring. We want team’s to be miserable about “coming to Baltimore” and playing the Skipjacks. We wanted, for the most part, each forward line and D pairing to be difficult to play against in their own way.

A winner, leader and warrior as our number 1C: Check.
A winner, leader and warrior as our number 1D: Check.
A winner, leader and warrior as our number 1G: Check

This team has leadership in spades and a goaltender who simply wins when it matters. That, we feel, is a recipe for playoff success.

Our first line, while admittedly lacking in the quickness department, is a “love-letter” or nod to the 70’s era if you will. We took a real life line that had success in the NHL, and we improved upon it by replacing Barber with Brendan Shanahan. Clarke, the elite playmaker and Leach, the sharp shooter have proven chemistry. Add Shanny the power forward and it’s a line that can be a handful.

As I touched on above, our 2nd line brings other-worldly speed with McDavid and Cournoyer. In transition, those two will be a treat to watch and a real threat every time they are on the ice. McDavid, while lacking in overall resume at this point, is elite in every sense of the word in terms of his career up to this point. Voters will be the judge on how you view him as a 2nd line C in an ATD right now, but considering we are at 40 teams and what he has done already in his young career, we feel he is not at all out of place and if anything his best (again, even though the overall resume is short) is better than most if not all 2nd line C’s in this entire draft. It is a gamble Van and I decided to take when we looked at other available C’s at that point, and we agreed that he was the best option for our team. We knew opinions would vary, but we think and hope it is a gamble that will pay off. And the fit with Cournoyer played a big role in that as well. Hadfield is the glue guy and brings toughness to a line that was lacking in it. He can pot some himself when playing with quality linemates and we feel he has that here.

Our 3rd line is our shutdown/checking/piss the other team off and draw penalties line. Sandstrom, the known agitator. Kasper, the elite shadow with fantastic shutdown abilities (ask Wayne Gretzky). And Nick Metz, named by Ultimate Hockey as the best defensive forward, shadow and penalty killer of the 1940’s. Together as a trio the goal there is to bring top notch defensive play and agitating abilities to hopefully draw calls. Kasper and Metz can both play the role of shadow for anyone who Torts feels is a threat in any specific scenario - say late in a game to hopefully prevent a star player from being a factor. This if course is only if the situation calls for it.

Maltby on the 4th line is yet another pest and checker and brings speed, Foligno is a great fit as a Skipjack and a prototypical 4th liner here, and Sloan provides some offense.

Our D is something we are very proud of and we wanted the top 4 to be a nightmare to play against. The intimidation factor has to play into it when you look at the roster sheet and see Scott Stevens, Rob Blake, Hap Day and Gary Suter.

Stevens brings very solid defense and if he wants to “throw it back” he can be a factor offensively as well. Rob Blake has the bit booming shot from the point. We love this pairing.

Day and Suter we feel may be the strongest 2nd pairing in the draft. Suter has defensive deficiencies but Hap Day is the perfect babysitter.

Suter and Blake bring some really nice offense from the right side in the top two pairings. They will be utilized as offensive weapons while Blake can also defend quite nicely.

Our 3rd pairing will do their job. Not really much to say there. Just a solid 3rd pairing we can trust to put out there.

Billy Smith is a warrior and proven winner in the crease. No goalie embodies “Skipjack” quite like Battlin’ Billy Smith. As a big game goalie, we can feel confident with him in the crease.

Torts will LOVE this squad and especially the leadership group. They will “get” each other, I don’t think there is any debating that.

Our PK is, we feel, the best in the draft. At least in terms of the forward group. Obviously this team has the potential to be penalized every now and then with the style of play (but will undoubtedly draw our fair share as well) so to be able to send Clarke, Metz, Kasper and Maltby out there will be a huge relief in those situations. In our minds, that is an unmatched foursome and answers any concerns about if Baltimore will be able to handle being penalized.

In our minds, Baltimore is the superior team overall to NDG with a style of play that I’m not sure NDG will be able to handle over the course of a playoff series. Baltimore is built to wear you down and I’m not sure I see NDG as having an answer for that, but I welcome arguments for sure. Baltimore has the superior defense as well. NDG has some nice pieces for sure, but is that lineup the answer to defeating Baltimore in a playoff series where home ice is also an advantage for the Skipjacks?

I look forward to hearing what others think!

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
McDavid can defend against Morenz? I thought that was his Achilles Heel? And McDavid/Cournoyer on the same line defensively? Won't the neutral zone be wide open?

I think Kariya gets the memo at this point on Stevens lol.

Isn't Suter a LD?

Also, not sure I'd go with the lines I set before against this team, have to look.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Clarke vs. Morenz.

Stalemate.

Kariya is on IR. Either Suter crosschecks him viciously or else Clarke relives '72 vs. Kharlamov and breaks his friggin' ankle intentionally!

There's no way Kariya survives this series. Get real. History shows it highly unlikely!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
McDavid can defend against Morenz? I thought that was his Achilles Heel? And McDavid/Cournoyer on the same line defensively? Won't the neutral zone be wide open?

McDavid wouldn’t be on the ice to defend against Morenz. If Torts wants to put him out there against the Morenz line it would be strictly to match speed-for-speed.

And in that scenario, the neutral zone may be wide open..that is if you can get the puck of course. ;) I think maybe the only duo that is even quicker than Morenz and Kariya is McDavid and Cournoyer.

And let’s remember that - assuming the neutral zone is wide open - Morenz and Kariya will have either Scott Stevens & Rob Blake, or Hap Day & Gary Suter waiting for them. The Stratford Streak and Kariya are certainly quick and shifty, but their heads will have to constantly be on a swivel. I don’t see defending Morenz especially being too big of a problem for Baltimore. As I mentioned above, they were built to wear you down.

But for the purpose of defending Morenz down the middle, more often than not that will certainly fall to Bobby Clarke whom is a legendary checker. How will Morenz deal with getting shadowed, and whacked/hacked on the shins and skates throughout the game? Clarke is extremely effective in his role and knows what he can and can’t get away with. I don’t see why he can’t keep that 1st line in check.

Another question I would ask, who on that line is going to be able to stop Shanny from barreling down the wing and crashing the net? Will that line have an answer for Bobby Clarke’s elite playmaking ability?

Reactions: tinyzombies

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I think Kariya gets the memo at this point on Stevens lol.

I wouldn’t sell Kariya short! He did come back and score a beauty in that game. But he will certainly need to be aware of Stevens at all times lol

It is a shame that his career ended early due to concussions. I loved Kariya.

But I don’t see Kariya being all that effective against the Skipjacks here.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think I have a strong forechecking team - maybe I'm deluded (Morenz, Fedorov, Nevin, Lambert, Luce, Finnigan can all pressure the puck). Your D isn't the swiftest. I think my top four has size/grit enough to handle your top line and feisty bottom six. McDavid is going to want to attack my right D but I have Morenz/Fedorov on him at all times. Luce can skate too, and Salming or Suter will be out there.

You have toughness: (Shanny, Clarke, Foligno, Stevens, Blake, Day, Suter), but so do I (Luce, Ferguson, Baun, Abel, Plager, Carlyle). Abel in the ATD is Chara-like with his toughness and Baun can hold his own against Shanahan.

You have home ice advantage, but I think either Morenz or Fedorov could handle McDavid and turn the tables on him offensively and Morenz is at least equal to Clarke and probably better with his elite offense and two-way play - and he was just as scrappy (there is Youtube footage of him taking out a knee) - and there is the speed advantage.

I don't understand people saying Oatman isn't a first liner. I'm going for balance. Nobody is going to be able to produce three first liners AND three second liners are they? I have arguably two first liners on my second line as it is. I went for depth.

I like my bottom six better. Luce-Finnigan is a deadly checking combo that can score - Lambert was clutch and an elite grinder who could score. My forth line is very strong at even strength. I think my depth scoring adds a lot. Add in Reinhart on offensive zone starts.

Jacques Martin has proven he's an elite x's and o's guy both defensively in Montreal (2010 playoffs) and offensively with the Penguins in their back-to-back Cups. Keenan and Morenz I think would see eye-to-eye. Morenz was old school and could command respect as an intermediary and was well-liked by teammates. Keenan would love his grit and fearlessness and Morenz was a charmer. Some have said Heatley would get flak, but I think Fedorov/Nevin pick up a lot of the slack and allow Heatley to focus on offense (though he was solid two-way).

NDG MONARCHS (4)

Coach: Mike Keenan/Jacques Martin (assistant)​

Paul Kariya - Howie Morenz (C) - Bob Nevin
Dany Heatley - Sergei Fedorov (A) - Eddie Oatman
Yvon Lambert - Don Luce - Frank Finnigan
John Ferguson - Don McKenney - Stephane Richer
Press box: Gaudreau

Borje Salming (A) - Bob Baun
Ryan Suter - Taffy Abel
Bob Plager - Randy Carlyle
Paul Reinhart

Grant Fuhr
Charlie Hodge

PP1: Morenz, Kariya(31),Ferguson(25),Salming(19),Reinhart(28)
PP2: McKenney(24),Heatley(28),Oatman, Suter(18), Fedorov(24-pt)
PK1: Luce(66), Finnigan, Salming(55), Baun
PK2: Fedorov (31%/.83),Nevin(40/.96),Plager(51/1),Abel

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I wouldn’t sell Kariya short! He did come back and score a beauty in that game. But he will certainly need to be aware of Stevens at all times lol

It is a shame that his career ended early due to concussions. I loved Kariya.

But I don’t see Kariya being all that effective against the Skipjacks here.

It's Kariya AND Morenz, not just Kariya. And Morenz was a strong two-way center as well, so it's not one-way play. Your D will be on their heels maaaan. I also have the Fedorov/Nevin safety net since I'm on the road - and a very strong checking line.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
So by our comments and with you having home ice, these are key matchups when you are at home -- i'm gonna switch up my lines a bit, if that helps lol):

Billy Smith

Rob Blake -
Scott Stevens
(C)

Reggie Leach - Bobby Clarke (A) - Brendan Shanahan

Paul Kariya - Howie Morenz (C) - Bob Nevin
Borje Salming (A) - Taffy Abel

(If Clarke does anything stupid or Stevens headhunts, Abel's Chara-like presence can equalize. Also, won't you be in the box a lot?)

Gennady Tsygankov - Alex Gusev
Yvan Cournoyer
- Connor McDavid - Vic Hadfield

John Ferguson - Don McKenney - Stephane Richer
Ryan Suter - Bob Baun

(I have to try to get Feds or Luce out there, but at ES my line can put up points too - and McD/Cournoyer is swiss cheese. And Ferguson is gonna love playing against the Russians!)

Gary Suter - Hap Day (A)
Nick Metz - Steve Kasper - Tomas Sandstrom

Dany Heatley - Sergei Fedorov (A) - Eddie Oatman
Paul Reinhart (ozone/nz starts)/Bob Plager - Randy Carlyle

(This feels like a wash? Suter, Day, Sandstrom... I see a lot of PIMs.)

Mike Foligno - Tod Sloan - Kirk Maltby

Yvon Lambert - Don Luce - Frank Finnigan

(This could be a wash? I might have a scoring edge.)

Grant Fuhr

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I think I have a strong forechecking team - maybe I'm deluded (Morenz, Fedorov, Nevin, Lambert, Luce, Finnigan can all pressure the puck). Your D isn't the swiftest. I think my top four has size/grit enough to handle your top line and feisty bottom six. McDavid is going to want to attack my right D but I have Morenz/Fedorov on him at all times. Luce can skate too, and Salming or Suter will be out there.

Our D may not be the swiftest, of course, but it has players that have proven historically to be very reliable defenders, and certainly reliable positionally. Gap control..in your face defending. The may not be the quickest, but they know how to defend against any style of play. And straight line speed is one thing, but unless the plan is to beat them on the outside every single time (which certainly won’t happen) keep in mind that we have players that specialize in the open ice hit. So any and all “swift” cuts across the ice have a very good chance to turn out very bad for your group of forwards. This is a group that physically defends you down and wears you out. Stevens is very solid playing 1-vs-1, staying with you and then rubbing you out along the boards. Blake’s long stick comes in handy with his style of defending. Solid positionally of course as well. Hap Day, by all accounts, was somewhat of an ice general back there and solid positionally as well. Guys like Scott Stevens and Rob Blake made careers out of proving that they can defend extremely well and play a highly effective style without having top end “swiftness”. They are VERY hard to beat, even having speed on your line. And let’s not pretend that you will ice a team full of sudden gear-changing speed demons.

Fedorov is a beautiful skater but I’m not sure speed for speed he is going to enjoy having to defend the transitional speed of McDavid and Cournoyer every shift. He is very solid defensively but if he has to spend the entire time trying to defend the extremely quick attack of that duo, his line isn’t going to score many goals. Sure, our line isn’t solid defensively so turnovers are your chance, but that’s where our reliable and physical defenders come into play. Stevens & Blake or Day & Suter and there to help offset that lines defensive deficiency whether it be by standing you up positionally and forcing another turnover for McDavid and Cournoyer to attack you again on a dime, or by taking your head off.

You have toughness: (Shanny, Clarke, Foligno, Stevens, Blake, Day, Suter), but so do I (Luce, Ferguson, Baun, Abel, Plager, Carlyle). Abel in the ATD is Chara-like with his toughness and Baun can hold his own against Shanahan.

I won’t deny that you also have toughness, but I don’t believe it would be a good idea to try and beat Baltimore at their own game. Baltimore was built to wear teams down and will certainly not back down to anyone, so if you plan on trying to beat them it would have to be by playing your own game IMO. Then again, Baltimore would probably LOVE if a team tried to play exactly into their style.

You have home ice advantage, but I think either Morenz or Fedorov could handle McDavid and turn the tables on him offensively and Morenz is at least equal to Clarke and probably better with his elite offense and two-way play - and he was just as scrappy (there is Youtube footage of him taking out a knee) - and there is the speed advantage.

I touched on Fedorov above, but as for Morenz I would agree that he’s obviously superior to Clarke from an offensive standpoint but Clarke is absolutely up to the task of handling him. Clarke’s style of checking gets under the opponents skin and Howie will have to deal with that. The Stratford Streak is a handful, but what better center iceman to match up with him than the elite checking and two-way pest Bobby Clarke? Bobby specializes in getting opponents off their game and Morenz will certainly have to deal with that.

Keep in mind that Torts can piss off Morenz even more by occasionally sending Steve Kasper out there to shadow him. Imagine Morenz having to deal with an elite shadow like Kasper after having to deal with Bobby Clarke’s shenanigans much of the game.

I like my bottom six better. Luce-Finnigan is a deadly checking combo that can score - Lambert was clutch and an elite grinder who could score. My forth line is very strong at even strength. I think my depth scoring adds a lot. Add in Reinhart on offensive zone starts.

But how much will that 3rd line be able to score against our 3rd line? If Torts decides to match up 3rd line vs 3rd line that is pretty much a defensive battle with guys who can also chip in occasional ATD offense. If you want to mention Luce and Finnigan can score, so can Metz and Sandstrom. Metz and Kasper are elite checkers and Sandstrom is a super pest who can score.

Or if you have the 3rd line as the McKenney line, I like that matchup for Baltimore. Kasper and co can keep that group in check.

Maltby and Langenbrunner are very competent defensively and Maltby’s speed is an asset. Tod Sloan brings very nice offense as well for a 4th line. So if they are matched up against that Luce line I think that’s a fine matchup for Baltimore.

Jacques Martin has proven he's an elite x's and o's guy both defensively in Montreal (2010 playoffs) and offensively with the Penguins in their back-to-back Cups. Keenan and Morenz I think would see eye-to-eye. Morenz was old school and could command respect as an intermediary and was well-liked by teammates. Keenan would love his grit and fearlessness and Morenz was a charmer. Some have said Heatley would get flak, but I think Fedorov/Nevin pick up a lot of the slack and allow Heatley to focus on offense (though he was solid two-way).

I love the Tortorella vs Keenan matchup. There’s about a 95% chance we see a head coach fist fight at some point :laugh:

It's Kariya AND Morenz, not just Kariya. And Morenz was a strong two-way center as well, so it's not one-way play. Your D will be on their heels maaaan. I also have the Fedorov/Nevin safety net since I'm on the road - and a very strong checking line.

And I could counter that your forwards will be on their backs :D, and we too have a very strong checking line.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
And people will like to mention Baltimore potentially taking a lot of penalties. To which I respond again that we have likely the best group of PK forwards in the entire draft and with our style of play and the pests we have, we will draw many retaliatory penalties as well.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Fedorov won the speed contest twice with 14.363 and 13.525.

McDavid won it with 13.31, 13.454, and 13.378.

They are in the same ballpark. And Morenz won the speed contests back in his day also other than one year when Hec Kilrea won it.

Kariya won four puck control relay contests at the ASG.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Fedorov won the speed contest twice with 14.363 and 13.525.

McDavid won it with 13.31, 13.454, and 13.378.

They are in the same ballpark. And Morenz won the speed contests back in his day also other than one year when Hec Kilrea won it.

Like I said, Fedorov is indeed a beautiful skater and speedy in his own right, but I think McDavid’s ability to “turn it on” on a dime and his speed in transition with the puck on his stick is unlike anything we have ever seen before. Fedorov’s speed is impressive, but using that speed with the puck is another thing entirely and that’s where McDavid is on another level IMO.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Like I said, Fedorov is indeed a beautiful skater and speedy in his own right, but I think McDavid’s ability to “turn it on” on a dime and his speed in transition with the puck on his stick is unlike anything we have ever seen before. Fedorov’s speed is impressive, but using that speed with the puck is another thing entirely and that’s where McDavid is on another level IMO.

I don't know how many times I can get Fedorov out there against him anyway - it will more likely be my third line against him in your rink.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think you are right tho, I MIGHT get some rush offense in the power-vs-power matchup, but I'm not going to have the puck much. And my right wingers and right D are not up to snuff.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
McDavid wouldn’t be on the ice to defend against Morenz. If Torts wants to put him out there against the Morenz line it would be strictly to match speed-for-speed.

And in that scenario, the neutral zone may be wide open..that is if you can get the puck of course. ;) I think maybe the only duo that is even quicker than Morenz and Kariya is McDavid and Cournoyer.

In a speed vs speed game, I'll take the duo that can backcheck, as well as score, and that's the one with Morenz, right?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
In a speed vs speed game, I'll take the duo that can backcheck, as well as score, and that's the one with Morenz, right?

Sure, but way more often than not it will be the Bobby Clarke line out there against the Morenz line. That will be the primary matchup that Torts will want from a Baltimore point of view and the reason for that is obvious.

I was simply mentioning the possibility that if for whatever reason Torts wanted to strictly match Morenz and Kariya from a speed standpoint, we have the McDavid line that can do that. This is if a scenario calls for it.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
. Hap Day, by all accounts, was somewhat of an ice general back there and solid positionally as well. Guys like Scott Stevens and Rob Blake made careers out of proving that they can defend extremely well and play a highly effective style without having top end “swiftness”. They are VERY hard to beat, even having speed on your line. And let’s not pretend that you will ice a team full of sudden gear-changing speed demons.
Rob Blake isn't a liability defensively or anything, but it's extreme hyperbole to say he could defend "extremely well," especially at even strength. At least in an all-time sense.

Agree that everything you said applies to Scott Stevens, one reason he was so effective defensively later in his career was his channeling his skating strictly to shutdown hockey.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Rob Blake isn't a liability defensively or anything, but it's extreme hyperbole to say he could defend "extremely well," especially at even strength. At least in an all-time sense.

Agree that everything you said applies to Scott Stevens, one reason he was so effective defensively later in his career was his channeling his skating strictly to shutdown hockey.

Riding shotgun to Stevens gives Blake leash tho. He can look for hits or jump into the offense. Especially if Clarke is out there.

With Kariya's history, they'll be going after him. Abel will have to step in and crush someone. Has to be clean tho because I don't want to see no brawl between our first lines that's for sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad