Confirmed with Link: Jim Paliafito & Cam Charron no longer with Organization

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Paliafito is pretty significant. He was a big part of the KHL signings and probably had a hand in a lot of different things since joining. I remember reading about him being really involved in those things and the Leafs have done very well in finding hidden gems.

Execs come and go all the time, it's not a big deal though.

Cam Charron is pretty meh. Just an analyst. He's been around for a long time as well, part of the first batch of analytics people Leafs hired.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Charron is not a big deal.

Paliafito though... That is a huge deal. He has been a big part of all of those Russian signings.
Did they keep any of their 3 scouts in Russia on contract who worked under Jim? .. I had heard one of 3 da guys who signed Mik left for FLA .. I suspect Mik must be going to FLA .. I never liked da focus on Russian players so I view it as a positive myself .. lets spend more scouting $$$ on OHL where da winners come from

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Did they keep any of their 3 scouts in Russia on contract who worked under Jim? .. I had heard one of 3 da guys who signed Mik left for FLA .. I suspect Mik must be going to FLA .. I never liked da focus on Russian players so I view it as a positive myself .. lets spend more scouting $$$ on OHL where da winners come from

This is the Leafs we're talking about, we can afford to cover everything and just so you remember we got Mikheyev out of Russia as a free wallet

That's a 20 goal scorer for basically nothing, give me that any day of the week

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Charron is kinda internet famous.

He used to run the Canucks Army blog - their equivalent of Pension Plan Puppets.

In 2014 the staff there had an equivalent of the infamous potato article from PPP. They created a computer algorithm named Sham Sharron that would simply draft the highest scoring CHL player available at that given draft slot.

The algorithm outperformed the Canucks scouting staff over a 5 year period when it came to producing NHLers even though it drafted nothing but forwards out of the CHL.

Edit: I'm misremembering some details here. Charron actually ran Pension Plan Puppets and was responsible for the original Dave Nonis vs a Potato article.

Canucks Army paid homage to him by naming their draft strategy after him.

Last edited:

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
pAlaefito leaving is big not minor. He has a lot to do with roster personell and the draft

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Panthers have a worse cap problem than the Leafs. I don’t think they can afford him.

Reactions: teddygmr

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Panthers have a worse cap problem than the Leafs. I don’t think they can afford him.
as long as we dont sign him, i dont care. that guy is mr empty stats and cant shoot the back side of a barn. seemed like a complainer too and was entitled ... meanwhile he stunk.
we need guys that bring it for our bottom 6 and bring it in the playoffs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Charron is kinda internet famous.

He used to run the Canucks Army blog - their equivalent of Pension Plan Puppets.

In 2014 the staff there had an equivalent of the infamous potato article from PPP. They created a computer algorithm named Sham Sharron that would simply draft the highest scoring CHL player available at that given draft slot.

The algorithm outperformed the Canucks scouting staff over a 5 year period when it came to producing NHLers even though it drafted nothing but forwards out of the CHL.

Id be curious to see how that would perform League wide.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Charron was one of the first analytics hires. That was awhile ago so no surprise they might want to hear a different perspective at this point.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
His KHL and European FA batting average is a reason why I’m okay with him leaving. He didn’t bring a lot of good stuff to the table.

What exactly is wrong with his record? It is better than most around the league.

Getting Zaitsev and Mikheyev as free wallets in less than 5 years is already impressive as it is and has been better than what Hunter did with 2 dozen draft picks outside of the 1st round in that same period of time. That excludes solid depth guys like Ozhiganov, Lindholm, Kallgren, Barabanov (who did better in SJ than here), Borgman, and Rosen.

If it wasn't for Paliafito getting these free wallets, our depth would have sucked really bad because we weren't getting any help from Hunter drafts. And it is important to note that he didn't really scout them; he was the one who convinced them to sign with us.

Toronto, alone, has been able to sign like 1/3 of the quality Euro UFAs that have come available since he has taken over. He couldn't get Suter and Zub. Who else was there, assuming he wasn't around to get Panarin?

He brought a lot of good stuff to the table, and if we no longer can get these Euro FAs as a result, it is going to suck. I just hope our reputation and the track record he built can last without him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What exactly is wrong with his record? It is better than most around the league.

Getting Zaitsev and Mikheyev as free wallets in less than 5 years is already impressive as it is and has been better than what Hunter did with 2 dozen draft picks outside of the 1st round in that same period of time. That excludes solid depth guys like Ozhiganov, Lindholm, Kallgren, Barabanov (who did better in SJ than here), Borgman, and Rosen.

If it wasn't for Paliafito getting these free wallets, our depth would have sucked really bad because we weren't getting any help from Hunter drafts. And it is important to note that he didn't really scout them; he was the one who convinced them to sign with us.

Toronto, alone, has been able to sign like 1/3 of the quality Euro UFAs that have come available since he has taken over. He couldn't get Suter and Zub. Who else was there, assuming he wasn't around to get Panarin?

He brought a lot of good stuff to the table, and if we no longer can get these Euro FAs as a result, it is going to suck.

Most of Mikheyev, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov, Barabanov, Lehtonen, Rosen, Borgman, Lindholm and Kallgren are mediocre roster fluff. It's nice to have an additional pipeline of these guys but the actual payoff has been minimal all these years. If you were MLSE wouldn't you want to know why the Leafs spend more money but walk away with Rosen, Borgman and Lehtonen while Ottawa finds Artem Zub? Get another Russian whisperer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad