NFL: Jim Harbaugh is now the Chargers head coach

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
No honest, realistic Michigan fan expected Harbaugh to stay after winning a national championship. Even if he didn't accomplish that, most believed he would stay 5-10 years. He always wanted back in the NFL

I recall saying that when he was hired and he stayed nearly 10 years. Him winning a title made that a slam dunk. Even if I do believe Harbaugh may be better suited for the NCAA at this point.

Good thing is that he has a legit QB in Herbert. Bad news is their roster will need some work.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well, this ends the excuses for Herbert

If he doesn't take next step under Harbaugh then its never happening

Watching Herbert your left wanting more especially in big moments when he seems to come up small

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If he and Roman would have just fed Gore from the goal line then he wouldn’t still have to be chasing a ring.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he and Roman would have just fed Gore from the goal line then he wouldn’t still have to be chasing a ring.
Been a decade so had to Google it. They had first down inside the 10 with 2:41 left with 2 TO. Ran Gore on first down to the 2 min warning then passed the next 3 downs. So yeah, could have run Gore if they wanted to.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I can understand the thought process behind Seattle throwing. It took a crazy effort by a defender to stop them. That 49ers drive was inexcusable on all levels.

Giving it to Gore can maybe get yards to milk the clock. Gore is also your best offensive player imo. Instead, you put your season on the line with passes in the endzone to Michael Crabtree? If I'm the owner, I got lots of questions after that series.

Anyways, Baltimore wins easily without that "power outage."

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
People are saying there are no more excuses for Herbert have a point. But...it's not as I'd they are going to trade him if he struggles a bit next season. Every time sans KC, Baltimore, Buffalo, Houston, & Cincinnati would take I'm in a heartbeat. If Love continues to impress MAYBE GB wouldn't take Herert.

Point is, Herbert is safe. And I expect him to play well. But people are overestimating that roster. They have holes on D & need a receiver.

I still don't see KC losing that division. Sans Mahomes getting hurt.

OT: I'd take John over Jim any day

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I can understand the thought process behind Seattle throwing. It took a crazy effort by a defender to stop them. That 49ers drive was inexcusable on all levels.

Giving it to Gore can maybe get yards to milk the clock. Gore is also your best offensive player imo. Instead, you put your season on the line with passes in the endzone to Michael Crabtree? If I'm the owner, I got lots of questions after that series.

Harbaugh wanted Kaepernick to get a highlight reel moment.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Seattle has just 1 TO left with 2nd down and under 30 seconds to go. In the event they needed all 3 remaining downs they could only run it once in bounds and stop the clock. Other 2 plays needed to stop the clock either an out of bounds play or an incomplete pass. Had to pass on either 2nd or 3rd down. Just a horrible play call to throw into traffic to like your WR4. No matter what you can’t allow a DB to knock you off course and pick the ball.

SF, looking back with timeouts you run the ball at least once on 2nd or 3rd down. Have the TO. I mean if you are worried about not making it then you should not burn one after an incomplete pass. Just run your plays. Cause had they still had 2 TO left after turning it over on downs, then there is 1:45 left and Bal has to punt it back to you with like 50 seconds or so left so you still get a Hail Mary shot.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Fully expecting all the talking heads to predict the Chargers win their division, make SB run, etc. all offseason. And Chiefs will just run away with it yet again.

Harbaugh gets his best QB he's ever coached at the NFL level but the Chargers roster has some serious, serious flaws. I think he'll be a good enough coach to get them to a potential wildcard spot this year/next year but they're several years away from contending and will be tough for them to get past Reid/Mahomes anytime soon.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
They need to hit on alot of draft picks and Harbaugh spending the last few years scouting and recruiting high school players should help in that regard (See Pete Carroll's first few drafts for the Seahawks as a reference).

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Been a decade so had to Google it. They had first down inside the 10 with 2:41 left with 2 TO. Ran Gore on first down to the 2 min warning then passed the next 3 downs. So yeah, could have run Gore if they wanted to.
LaMicheal James actually got that 1st down carry.

I know, right.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Anyways, Baltimore wins easily without that "power outage”
I always read that last part and get confused; 49ers had

49ers immediately punted once the power came back on. They got 0 advantage from that situation.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
People follow leaders like Jim Harbaugh, I think this hire is a homerun.

Always had a soft spot for the Chargers, mainly a Bears fan but consider them my AFC team. Was always a fan of LT, Junior Seau, and Antonio Gates. Tomlinson in particular was a terrific halfback. Rivers had his flaws but a fun QB to watch. They've really had the market cornered for absolutely soul crushing losses for a long while now. Either them or the Vikings anyway.

The team even after Herbert I think has a lot of talent. Would not surprise me at all if they're in the SB in the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't get the 'no more excuses for Herbert's thing comes from.

Why should there be excuses in the first place? He's an excellent quarterback and has shown it time and time again.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
first time since Marty that I'm actually happy with who the Bolts HC is. Cap situation the first year isn't ideal though so will need to cut Williams and trade Mack plus re structure Allen. At 5 hopefully takes Alt or I'd be good moving down a bit to gain more picks as long as we still can get Bowers

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't get the 'no more excuses for Herbert's thing comes from.

Why should there be excuses in the first place? He's an excellent quarterback and has shown it time and time again.

Because media always talks about his record and always ignore the amount of games they lost because their defense couldn’t stop anything

Sep 19, 2008
Jim was very gracious yesterday on CBS he said he loves michigan but he also loves the NFL

Hope he is able to get his ring in pro football.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad