Jim Coleman Conference Final: #1 Detroit Falcons vs. #2 Springfield Isotopes

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Detroit Falcons will face the Springfield Isotopes in the Jim Coleman Conference Final. Detroit GM EagleBelfour is making his first appearance in a conference final; Springfield co-GM Rick Middleton is also making his first appearance, while Sturminator is making his second. Detroit was the top seed in the Foster Hewitt Division; Springfield was the No. 2 seed in the Rene Lecavalier Division.

Detroit Falcons
Coach: Roger Neilson

Doug Bentley (A) - Max Bentley - Bryan Hextall Sr.
Bert Olmstead - Bill Cowley - Gordie Drillon
Jack Walker - Guy Carbonneau (A) - Ed Westfall
Lynn Patrick - Frank McGee - Bill Goldsworthy
Bernie Morris

Red Kelly (A) - Émile Bouchard (C)
George Boucher - Si Griffis
Vitaly Davydov - Mike Grant
Glen Harmon

Frank Brimsek
Viktor Konovalenko
Tom Paton

PP#1
Doug Bentley - Bill Cowley - Bryan Hextall Sr.
Red Kelly - Max Bentley

PP#2
Lynn Patrick - Frank McGee - Gordie Drillon
George Boucher - Mike Grant

PK#1
Ed Westfall - Guy Carbonneau
Émile Bouchard - George Boucher

PK#2
Jack Walker - Bert Olmstead
Vitaly Davydov - Red Kelly
Red Kelly taking the faceoffs

The Springfield Isotopes
Coach: Mike Keenan
Captain: Sylvio Mantha
Assistant Captains: Bill Barber, Walt Tkaczuk

Bill Barber (A) - Norm Ullman - Andy Bathgate
Baldy Northcott - Bobby Smith - Teemu Selanne
Hec Kilrea - Walt Tkaczuk (A) - John MacLean
Curt Fraser - Pit Martin - Jim Pappin
Camille Henry, John Ogrodnick

Brad Park - Sylvio Mantha (C)
Zdeno Chara - Hod Stuart
Dave Burrows - Gilles Marotte
Fredrik Olausson

Ken Dryden
Sean Burke

PP#1
Bill Barber - Norm Ullman - Andy Bathgate
Hod Stuart - Brad Park

PP#2
John MacLean - Bobby Smith - Teemu Selanne
Sylvio Mantha - Zdeno Chara

PK#1
Bill Barber - Walt Tkaczuk
Zdeno Chara - Sylvio Mantha

PK#2
Baldy Northcott - Norm Ullman
Brad Park - Dave Burrows​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I hope that FF doesn't mind that I started this thread. But, as I said earlier, I wanted to get this discussion going.

An advantage for Springfield is they have a good idea of what to expect from Detroit. Springfield beat a skilled team in Ottawa that had the best collection of forwards in the draft; and they beat a gifted Lada team with outstanding offensive punch. So now they get Detroit - the fastest, most skilled team in the draft, but one that lacks toughness.

Detroit has gone against the grain with the way they built their team. Usually it's a balanced, tough team that wins this thing. Detroit is a highly-skilled, ultra-fleet-footed team with world class hockey sense, but they lack toughness. In a big way. They have three lines that can score, including two lines that bring instant offence, but only one truely tough, crash-and-bang winger on those lines in Olmstead.

You have to play the Detroit forwards tough, but smart and clean. If they get a step on you, you're done. You need to keep them in front of you, you can't let their speed and creativity intimidate you. Brad Park will, of course, be a pivotal player in this series. He's a good player to have against the Bentley's. Dave Burrows is actually another guy who could be handy against the Bentley's

A guy like Chara could be in trouble in this series. Remember Chara vs. Buffalo in the 2006 playoffs? That's nothing compared to what he could face against the Bentleys, Cowley, Hextall, Patrick and McGee.

Detroit has one checking line, and it's a doozy. But it will leave a good line for Springfield with a favourable match-up. I think Springfield will want Ullman out there against the Bentley's, but the flip side is that Bathgate will be out there against the outstanding two-way game of Doug Bentley. Walt Tkaczuk is another player who can match-up with Magic Max or Cowley.

The most important player in this series, once again, will be Red Kelly. He's one of the most valuable players in the draft. He's one of the best offensive defencemen of all-time, and he did it without taking away from his defence. Kelly fits perfectly for this team: ultra-skilled, highly intelligent, creative, but not physical.

Lots of toughness for Springfield on the third and fourth lines. That'll help. Curt Fraser was an excellent shut-down forward for Vancouver in 1982; he's a guy who could be handy in this series.

Give Springfield the edge in goal, but it's not big. Dryden's outstanding, but so was Brimsek. Not much to choose between those top goalies ever.

I like Neilson as a coach more than Keenan, but I like Keenan more for the Isotopes. Neilson doesn't fit as the coach of the Eagles with that style, but it hasn't bitten Detroit in the ass yet.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
You have to play the Detroit forwards tough, but smart and clean. If they get a step on you, you're done. You need to keep them in front of you, you can't let their speed and creativity intimidate you. Brad Park will, of course, be a pivotal player in this series. He's a good player to have against the Bentley's. Dave Burrows is actually another guy who could be handy against the Bentley's.

Is Seibert and Metz couldn't accomplish this then Burrows and Park aren't going to either.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Is he really? His team is certainly making an appearance but their GM hasn't posted on their behalf since the 1st round.

If Eagle had personal stuff come up (which is what I thought I read) than I wouldn't rag on him for this.

Votes are based on the team not on the GM's participation in the debate.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
If Eagle had personal stuff come up (which is what I thought I read) than I wouldn't rag on him for this.

Votes are based on the team not on the GM's participation in the debate.

Yeah, that's what he told me but somehow he's found time to continue participating in the Baseball ATD, comment in several debates on the board, talk about the best Rocky movie, and make comments on fantasy hockey players. To me that doesn't sound at all like a guy who's "had personal stuff come up" but rather someone who still finds time to be on HF but doesn't feel like spending the time to be a part of the ATD anymore.

Here's the list of posts he's made since his last post in an ATD thread:
Last Movie You Saw ... And Rate It! - Part 5 on 6/17 at 9:56PM in Forum: Entertainment
Keeper League Trade Thoughts... Who wins? on 6/16 at 11:39PM in Forum: Fantasy Talk and Hockey Video Games
Best Rocky movie on 6/16 at 11:36PM in Forum: Entertainment
Brad Park vs. Paul Coffey on 6/14 at 11:39PM in Forum: Polls - (hockey-related only)
Let's re-visit the top 10 defensemen of all time on 6/14 at 6:58PM in Forum: The History of Hockey
Lidstrom "I don't belong with Harvey, Orr" on 6/13 at 3:12PM in Forum: Detroit Red Wings
Most Talented Players Never To Win Stanley Cup on 6/12 at 10:20PM in Forum: The History of Hockey
Philippe Boucher on 6/10 at 10:29PM in Forum: Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Vlasic vs Coliacovo on 6/10 at 10:20PM in Forum: Polls - (hockey-related only)
Baseball ATD #1, Part 2 on 6/9 at 4:42PM in Forum: Baseball
Baseball ATD #1, Part 2 on 6/8 at 12:30PM in Forum: Baseball
Best 1-2 center duo in your team's history? on 6/7 at 4:02PM in Forum: National Hockey League Talk
Bill Durnan vs Ed Belfour on 6/5 at 9:30PM in Forum: The History of Hockey
ATD Baseball - Part I on 6/5 at 12:38AM in Forum: Baseball (where he found time to rip chaosrevolver for not updating the main ATD page fast enough)
ATD Baseball - Part I on 6/4 at 11:46PM in Forum: Baseball (where he found time to rip chaosrevolver for not updating the main ATD page fast enough)
ATD Baseball - Part I on 6/4 at 10:32PM in Forum: Baseball
ATD Baseball - Part I on 6/4 at 9:21PM in Forum: Baseball

That's all the posts since his last one in our ATD, and those posts by him weren't part of a debate or argument but rather a congrats to NP on defeating GBC/raleh and another post promising to me more active in the next round (which is the one just completed where he made zero posts). He's actually never made a single post in any of his series in the ATD and his last post related to anything of an argument in the ATD was in the ATD #9 Lineup Assassination Thread on 5/9 at 9:29PM where he said:
Isn't that the goal of the game. I need opinions to refine myself and become even more knowledgeable as a hockey historian. I will always be proud to second guess myself on any comments made in my direction and always second guess the others comment made by an individual. Taking any facts, stats, conception as the pure and tough truth isn't what I want to do, because that mean you could in theory know everything about the sport.
which to me is an statement saying that he knows it's important to be part of the debates.

His words to me via PM earlier say he's too busy to be part of the ATD because of personal issues. His board actions and activity say that he still has time to be part of the Baseball ATD and cruise a large number of the forums and post comments despite his personal issues. To me, it looks alot more like a guy who doesn't want participate in the post-draft debates and voting and not someone who is under any time constraints forcing him to not have time for the Hockey ATD.

Am I a bit bitter about losing to what I consider an absentee GM using the excuse of personal issues to cover for his lack of interest once the actual drafting is over? You bet, and I think just about anyone else in my shoes would feel the same. I wish I'd lost in the prior round to GBC/raleh, at least I could feel proud to losing to a great opponent and have some idea what aspect of my team needed to be improved. Instead I'm left with a team which I haven't the slightest idea why it lost to a team I see as a large step below my own because I have no idea what supposed weakness was exposed. In any case, call it sour grapes if you want but I'm pretty sour over how things have played out so far.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Last Movie You Saw ... And Rate It! - Part 5 on 6/17 at 9:56PM in Forum: Entertainment

Nice, I even had time to watch three movies.

I know you're bitter about losing to an inactive GM, but you don't have a slight clue about who I am and what is happening in my life (as I know absolutely nothing about you). At the end, it's only the Internet.

Your rant on me or about anyone your having ''relation'' on the web is very inappropriate. Anyway, leave it that way and don't reply back please.

-----------------

- Nalyd is right, in my first ATD I lost in semifinal against Kruezer's team. It's my second conference final.

- I really like the Isotopes first line. At home, my shutdown line will be sent against them and I'll try to match my first line to their second line. I'm not in awe of the Isotope second line and Selanne, who I think is the most dangerous player on that second line, will be paired up against Doug Bentley two-way abilities.

- I'm not overly impress with the Isotope defenseman. Although they have a potent first duo (Brad Park is amazing and Sylvio Mantha is an ok first pairing defenseman IMO), Chara, Marotte and Burrows to a certain extent will have their end full with the Bentley's, Cowley, Hextall, Drillon, Patrick and McGee. So I think they have a good top-3 (I respect Stuart very much), but the lack of depth will hurt them imo.

As much as I'M a big fan of Brimsek and I've made my point numerous time that he was a great overall goaltender, the edge in net goes to Isotope. Ken Dryden was phenomenal. As GBC said: a little edge, but the edge is present.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion

I know you're bitter about losing to an inactive GM, but you don't have a slight clue about who I am and what is happening in my life (as I know absolutely nothing about you). At the end, it's only the Internet.

Your rant on me or about anyone your having ''relation'' on the web is very inappropriate. Anyway, leave it that way and don't reply back please.

-----------------

- Nalyd is right, in my first ATD I lost in semifinal against Kruezer's team. It's my second conference final.

- I really like the Isotopes first line. At home, my shutdown line will be sent against them and I'll try to match my first line to their second line. I'm not in awe of the Isotope second line and Selanne, who I think is the most dangerous player on that second line, will be paired up against Doug Bentley two-way abilities.

- I'm not overly impress with the Isotope defenseman. Although they have a potent first duo (Brad Park is amazing and Sylvio Mantha is an ok first pairing defenseman IMO), Chara, Marotte and Burrows to a certain extent will have their end full with the Bentley's, Cowley, Hextall, Drillon, Patrick and McGee. So I think they have a good top-3 (I respect Stuart very much), but the lack of depth will hurt them imo.

As much as I'M a big fan of Brimsek and I've made my point numerous time that he was a great overall goaltender, the edge in net goes to Isotope. Ken Dryden was phenomenal. As GBC said: a little edge, but the edge is present.
It's your first conference final. You lost to kreuz in the division final. kreuz beat reck in the conference final, and lost to pit in the ATD final.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Fission I think you're taking this a little bit too much to heart. People evaluated the rosters on their own and voted for who they felt would win. It was very close. I don't think these should be decided on who puts together the best arguments. Your team still got a lot of respect even if EB was too busy or tied up to debate... or even if he wasn't.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

You know what, bite me. Don't sit here judging my actions then try to pretend you're taking the high road by telling me not to reply. Whether you like it or not it's exactly what I did, just in fewer words. Do I know everything happening in your life? No, all I know if what you sent me in the PM. Does that mean I shouldn't express my opinions or thoughts? I don't think so. I haven't gone out and trumpeted anything you sent me in private or really done anything inappropriate other than express my feelings on your actions to date. In any case, good luck. Contrary to what you might think this isn't something personal. I think your actions don't fit the story you gave me and yeah, I'm speaking out on that. I still think you're one of the best posters in the HOH section and value your insights. And yes, I am rooting for your team in this round (whether you believe that or not).

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Fission I think you're taking this a little bit too much to heart. People evaluated the rosters on their own and voted for who they felt would win. It was very close. I don't think these should be decided on who puts together the best arguments. Your team still got a lot of respect even if EB was too busy or tied up to debate... or even if he wasn't.

You aren't getting the point, but don't worry about it. I never seem to be able to convey properly what I'm trying to say. It's been a problem I've had my entire life. My brain just isn't wired like normal people.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I hope that FF doesn't mind that I started this thread. But, as I said earlier, I wanted to get this discussion going.

An advantage for Springfield is they have a good idea of what to expect from Detroit. Springfield beat a skilled team in Ottawa that had the best collection of forwards in the draft; and they beat a gifted Lada team with outstanding offensive punch. So now they get Detroit - the fastest, most skilled team in the draft, but one that lacks toughness.

Detroit has gone against the grain with the way they built their team. Usually it's a balanced, tough team that wins this thing. Detroit is a highly-skilled, ultra-fleet-footed team with world class hockey sense, but they lack toughness. In a big way. They have three lines that can score, including two lines that bring instant offence, but only one truely tough, crash-and-bang winger on those lines in Olmstead.

You have to play the Detroit forwards tough, but smart and clean. If they get a step on you, you're done. You need to keep them in front of you, you can't let their speed and creativity intimidate you. Brad Park will, of course, be a pivotal player in this series. He's a good player to have against the Bentley's. Dave Burrows is actually another guy who could be handy against the Bentley's

A guy like Chara could be in trouble in this series. Remember Chara vs. Buffalo in the 2006 playoffs? That's nothing compared to what he could face against the Bentleys, Cowley, Hextall, Patrick and McGee.

Detroit has one checking line, and it's a doozy. But it will leave a good line for Springfield with a favourable match-up. I think Springfield will want Ullman out there against the Bentley's, but the flip side is that Bathgate will be out there against the outstanding two-way game of Doug Bentley. Walt Tkaczuk is another player who can match-up with Magic Max or Cowley.

The most important player in this series, once again, will be Red Kelly. He's one of the most valuable players in the draft. He's one of the best offensive defencemen of all-time, and he did it without taking away from his defence. Kelly fits perfectly for this team: ultra-skilled, highly intelligent, creative, but not physical.

Lots of toughness for Springfield on the third and fourth lines. That'll help. Curt Fraser was an excellent shut-down forward for Vancouver in 1982; he's a guy who could be handy in this series.

Give Springfield the edge in goal, but it's not big. Dryden's outstanding, but so was Brimsek. Not much to choose between those top goalies ever.

I like Neilson as a coach more than Keenan, but I like Keenan more for the Isotopes. Neilson doesn't fit as the coach of the Eagles with that style, but it hasn't bitten Detroit in the ass yet.

Nice balanced analysis GBC. What I learned from the last ATD was the while speed kills in the regular season, a balanced defensive team usually wins out in the playoffs.

Just as we've done in the regular season and in the playoffs, Springfield will roll all 4 lines regardless of who's on the ice. All of our lines contain a solid defensive component that should be able to contain the offensive firepower of Detroit. And our significant size advantage will play well down in the corners.

In all likelihood we will again flip Chara and Burrows, with the defensive pairings looking as such

Dave Burrows - Hod Stuart
Zdeno Chara - Gilles Marotte

Concerning Eagle's comments

So in Detroit it will be

Bill Barber (A) - Norm Ullman - Andy Bathgate (1)
vs.
Jack Walker - Guy Carbonneau (A) - Ed Westfall (3)

Baldy Northcott - Bobby Smith - Teemu Selanne (2)
vs.
Doug Bentley (A) - Max Bentley - Bryan Hextall Sr. (1)

Hec Kilrea - Walt Tkaczuk (A) - John MacLean (3)
vs.
Bert Olmstead - Bill Cowley - Gordie Drillon (2)

and

Curt Fraser - Pit Martin - Jim Pappin (4)
vs.
Lynn Patrick - Frank McGee - Bill Goldsworthy (4)

I don't believe the matchup of your first line versus our second line is as favourable as you're making it out to be. Baldy Northcott has a retro Conn Smythe and should be more than a match for Bryan Hextall Sr. Size wise the Bentley boys are markedly inferior to Smith and Selanne, and Selanne's speed combined with Smith's defensive acumen should be able to negate the Bentley's offensive prowess. In the end, your number 1 line is better than our 2nd line, but it won't be a romp.

The more important matchup might be our 3 versus your 2. I really think our 3rd line can not only shut your 2nd line down but take advantage of it's defensive shortcomings.

I could very well flip that comment on your 3rd pairing. They are diminutive (Dayvdov was 5'8" and 158lbs), and with our comparative size advantage already over your forward corps, they are going to have a hell of a time keeping our forwards contained down low.

And just to be a dink, you yourself said that

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=14039802&postcount=17
TWO big scoring line with a great defensive unit and a good goaltender to really put me in trouble.

You might be in trouble :D

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
This is a really great matchup. I would say that it is fairly even through forwards and defense with the advantage to Springfield in goal. However, Brimsek is no slouch in net.

Good luck to both teams.:yo:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...2&postcount=17

TWO big scoring line with a great defensive unit and a good goaltender to really put me in trouble.

---------------------

I fail to see two big offensive line on your team. Northcott-Smith-Selanne is an ok 2nd line at most.

My first line is better than your first line
My second line is better than your second line
My shutdown line is better than your shutdown line

Kelly is better than Park
Boucher is better than Stuart
Bouchard is better Mantha

My depth at defense is better than your depth

Dryden is better than Brimsek I'll give you that.

Your lucky this is a team game, because if we compare players to players I'm ahead of you. You'll need to force the play, you'll need to find a way to beat my mor talented team, you'll need to find a way to beat the favourite.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nice balanced analysis GBC. What I learned from the last ATD was the while speed kills in the regular season, a balanced defensive team usually wins out in the playoffs.

Just as we've done in the regular season and in the playoffs, Springfield will roll all 4 lines regardless of who's on the ice. All of our lines contain a solid defensive component that should be able to contain the offensive firepower of Detroit. And our significant size advantage will play well down in the corners.

In all likelihood we will again flip Chara and Burrows, with the defensive pairings looking as such

Dave Burrows - Hod Stuart
Zdeno Chara - Gilles Marotte

Concerning Eagle's comments

So in Detroit it will be

Bill Barber (A) - Norm Ullman - Andy Bathgate (1)
vs.
Jack Walker - Guy Carbonneau (A) - Ed Westfall (3)

Baldy Northcott - Bobby Smith - Teemu Selanne (2)
vs.
Doug Bentley (A) - Max Bentley - Bryan Hextall Sr. (1)

Hec Kilrea - Walt Tkaczuk (A) - John MacLean (3)
vs.
Bert Olmstead - Bill Cowley - Gordie Drillon (2)

and

Curt Fraser - Pit Martin - Jim Pappin (4)
vs.
Lynn Patrick - Frank McGee - Bill Goldsworthy (4)

I don't believe the matchup of your first line versus our second line is as favourable as you're making it out to be. Baldy Northcott has a retro Conn Smythe and should be more than a match for Bryan Hextall Sr. Size wise the Bentley boys are markedly inferior to Smith and Selanne, and Selanne's speed combined with Smith's defensive acumen should be able to negate the Bentley's offensive prowess. In the end, your number 1 line is better than our 2nd line, but it won't be a romp.

The more important matchup might be our 3 versus your 2. I really think our 3rd line can not only shut your 2nd line down but take advantage of it's defensive shortcomings.

I could very well flip that comment on your 3rd pairing. They are diminutive (Dayvdov was 5'8" and 158lbs), and with our comparative size advantage already over your forward corps, they are going to have a hell of a time keeping our forwards contained down low.

And just to be a dink, you yourself said that

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=14039802&postcount=17

I think you're underestimating the Bentley's. Magic Max very few games in his career. (I think it was nine or 10 in seven years; didn't miss a playoff game in that span). He put up magnificent numbers in the playoffs against very tough competition. 46 points in 51 games was almost unmatched for the late 40s and early 50s. Bobby Smith would be in trouble.

Doug Bentley's playoff totals are as impressive, but keep in mind that he was saddled with truly dreadful teams. He was an excellent two-way winger. Of the top 10 LWs ever, Bentley, Blake and Lindsay were probably the best defensively. And he has outstanding speed to keep up with the Finnish Flash.

As I said before, try to avoid having Chara out there against the Bentley's. It could get ugly. I like Burrows in that slot a lot more - he was widely considered one of the best defensive defencemen in the league throughout his career. Among the 5/6 defencemen in the draft, he probably has as good of chance as anyone of keeping up with the Bentley's. Chara could have trouble against Cowley, too, but he should be handy against Olmstead and Drillon.

On the surface, I see the top two players (beyond the goalies) are on Detroit: Kelly and Max Bentley. Their speed, skill and offensive depth has been the best from the start of the draft. But Springfield has that balance that often comes in handy in this thing.

Incidentally, where's Sturm? We're used to seeing lots of comments from him.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
These last two rounds are the worst! On one hand I really want to see the winner get appropriately honoured, because it will be the last person to win an ATD before Seventieslord's Regina Dynasty, as it will come to be known, but on the other hand it is so hard to choose between these teams. The only thing I can think of is to go player by player throughout the lineup and choose a winner in each matchup and the team that had the most "wins" (weighted by important positions in standard seventieslord style of course) gets my vote, but even that method is very imperfect because these players won't actually be matching up against eachother.

(one team might have a better LW1 and RW3 but the team with the lesser LW1 and RW3 might actually have a RW3 who can shut down the superior LW1, better than the superior RW3 can shut down the lesser LW1.... in theory, anyway)

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Game 1: Detroit 4 vs. Springfield 1 (M.Bentley 4pts)
Game 2: Detroit 5 vs. Springfield 4 (Kelly, D.Bentley 3pts)
Game 3: Springfield 2 vs. Detroit 0 (Dryden 45 saves)
Game 4: Detroit 2 @ Springfield 1 (Cowley GWG, Dryden 33 saves)
Game 5: Springfield 1 @ Detroit 0 (2OT) (Park GWG, Dryden 58 saves)
Game 6: Detroit 2 @ Springfield 1 (M.Bentley 2G, Dryden 48 saves)

Series: Detroit wins 4-2

Three Stars
1. Max Bentley DET
2. Red Kelly DET
3. Ken Dryden SFD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad