Jim Carey

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Grinder89, Jan 3, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Grinder89

Grinder89 Registered User

2. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

Sounds like he's just as "nice" of a guy as he was when he was playing.

3. paulsonj72

paulsonj72 Registered User

Always wondered what happened to him. I saw play at UW(Wisconsin) in the WCHA when I was in college. One of my greatest moments as a fan of my school came in 1994 when in Milwaukee in the WCHA Final 5 St Cloud St. beat Wisconsin 3-2 in OT with Carey in nets. I was their working(broadcasting) as part of a team from the college radio station St Cloud has.

4. ehhedler

ehhedler Registered User

that's actually funny

5. Rhiessan71

Rhiessan71 Just a Fool

Home Page:
    IMO he was a guy that was very good technically but was not very adaptive and had poor instincts.
    Once the players rooted out his weaknesses, he was not able to adjust and fell hard.

Is the ultimate example that it takes more than just being good technically to make it to and more importantly stay in the NHL.

6. tony d

tony d Registered User Sponsor

Office Worker
    I've heard that he didn't like hockey that much thus why his performance dropped off. Still his first couple seasons he was among the best goalies in the league.

7. jumptheshark

jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity

took you a long time time to find him?

you didn't look that hard because about a year ago a washington newspaper did a brief article on him and it was carried across the web

also

Brian Lawton should have been your starting point--he is one of the few former NHLers taht Carey keeps in touch with

8. Scott1980

Scott1980 Registered User

Yo know, years from now, hockey history nuts born in the 90s are going to be puzzled by this.

Honestly, Carey looked like the real deal (as we would also, to be fair, we'd see later in Turek and Cechmanek) when he first came into the league. I remember as clear as yesterday thinking, "Wow, this guy got 9 shutouts!".

I was also thinking (cause 10 shutouts seemed out of the realm of possibility back then) that this guy was going to be around a while. And you wouldn't BELIEVE who tied for the league in losses that year with Bill Ranford. Yup, you bet!

I've never seen the wheels come off the chariot like that, so far, so fast!

And you know what? Even when he started going downhill, I thought, "He'll be back, he's got too much talent, not to".

97-98, he starts coming back with 2 shutouts 3-2-1 record in only 10 games. I thought, he's back. But go figure he's back in the minors next year and boom, he cleans house with Providence, proving that 96/97 was just all an off year.

And then a year later he's out of the league!

Looking back, I just think Jim got tired of it all. Tired of being jerked around, tired of people waiting for a return to 95/96 season, tired of hockey in general.

It the irony of ironies, I honestly believe his early success doomed him to expectations that he couldn't match, but that everyone assumed he'd exceed.

Even just writing this now, I'm amazed! Did I really think all this. Yes I did. Did this all happen to Jim. Yes it did!

http://mscapsfan.tripod.com/carey0700.html

http://scottywazz.blogspot.com/2010/03/absurd-goalie-monday-jim-carey.html

9. Islesin93*

Islesin93* Registered User

still have the ticket stub to his first ever win, was hoping I could buy a car with it one day

10. Psycho Papa Joe

Psycho Papa Joe Porkchop Hoser

Forensic Accountant
    Home Page:
    Personally, I thought Osgood outplayed him in his Vezina Trophy year, but I guess the GM's liked the guy who played 20 more games and got more shutouts. Weird that it seemed all the best goalies of the era had down years by their standards in 95-96.

Probably one of the weakest Vezina Trophy winning years on record.

11. swede84

swede84 Registered User

probably the worst contract deal to performance ratio in Bruins history

12. begbeee

begbeee Registered User

Not mention what a blockbuster trade.

13. Psycho Papa Joe

Forensic Accountant
    Home Page:
    Worse than Alexei Zhamnov?

14. BoyntBergie

BoyntBergie Registered User

As a Bruins fan, I remember this deal well. Carey was the centerpiece of it, and we got Anson Carter, Jason Allison, and 2 picks, sending Tocchet, Oates, and Ranford the other way.

I remember being at the first game in Boston after the trade. My thoughts were:
    1. Carey is the stud in the deal. Guy will be in between the pipes in Boston for 10+ years.
    2. Anson Carter is pretty good, looks like he'll be a nice addition. Good speed, played hard, I even think he scored a goal in that first game.
    3. Jason Allison is the worst skater I have ever seen at the NHL level. I thought he was awful, all around, and was going to be a career minor leaguer.

Funny how those things worked out.

15. begbeee

begbeee Registered User

1.Tocchet - premier power forward in starting decline, anyway pretty nice addition to any team
    2. Oates - best pure playmaker in the game in that moment
    3. Ranford - Conn Smythe trophy winner

I wouldnt like this as a Boston fan... Still Carey had a huge name that time.

16. seventieslord

seventieslord Student Of The Game

Osgood probably did outperform Carey this year. But the true best goalie in the league was still Hasek, playoffs or not.

The voters simply got seduced by Carey's shutouts. His sv% was not even that good.

Retrospectively, I'd vote him in at 7th-8th that year, after Hasek, Roy, Puppa, Osgood, and Fuhr at least.

This was well-discussed in another thread not too long ago, but I forget which.

17. Psycho Papa Joe

Forensic Accountant
    Home Page:
    Being below 500 and a 2.83 GAA hurt Hasek, but sure, an argument could be made that he should have done better in the voting. An argument could be made for Brodeur as well, but just missing the playoffs hurt him.

I don't think the GM's wanted to vote for Roy after the way he handled the Tremblay incident earlier that year, but yeah, he was better than Carey as well. Although, Osgood had him beat in every stat.

I remember not being too impressed with the choice back when it happened, but it just seemed like so many of the elite guys, had below par regular seasons. I find it hard to believe the GM's would be seduced by a shutout count, but there really is no other reasonable explanation.

18. BoyntBergie

BoyntBergie Registered User

Well, the thing was, Boston was AWFUL that season. It was clearly time for a rebuild, and IIRC, Tocchet and Oates had both just bashed management, sealing their tickets out of town.

So adding Carey, Allison, Carter, and then Thornton and Samsonov (in just the first round of the draft) between March and June of that year was a pretty good move, in light of where the B's were as a team at the time.

19. begbeee

begbeee Registered User

Well, I didnt know about circumstances. I am not B´s fan. Thanx.

20. lovetherangers

lovetherangers Registered User

Idiot Savant
    My brother worked in Boston for a few years in the 90's, and his company used to get great seats at the Garden. He was able to get Carey's stick, and got it signed no less. I still have it in my man cave with the rest of my sports mem. One of the coolest things my brother got me for sure.