Jim Carey

IkeaMonkey*

Sounds like he's just as "nice" of a guy as he was when he was playing.

paulsonj72

Jan 4, 2011
Always wondered what happened to him. I saw play at UW(Wisconsin) in the WCHA when I was in college. One of my greatest moments as a fan of my school came in 1994 when in Milwaukee in the WCHA Final 5 St Cloud St. beat Wisconsin 3-2 in OT with Carey in nets. I was their working(broadcasting) as part of a team from the college radio station St Cloud has.

Reactions: randywoodsghost

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I've heard of collectors spotting him, asking for an autograph and having him deny that he ever played in the NHL.

that's actually funny

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
IMO he was a guy that was very good technically but was not very adaptive and had poor instincts.
Once the players rooted out his weaknesses, he was not able to adjust and fell hard.

Is the ultimate example that it takes more than just being good technically to make it to and more importantly stay in the NHL.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've heard that he didn't like hockey that much thus why his performance dropped off. Still his first couple seasons he was among the best goalies in the league.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If anyone remembers the "Net Detective" and what happened to him, I've made a post in my blog about him for all those interested in reading:

http://collectorscornerccg.blogspot.com/2011/01/where-are-they-now-2-jim-carey.html

It took me a long time to track down his where about's so I hope any who take the time to read will enjoy.

took you a long time time to find him?

you didn't look that hard because about a year ago a washington newspaper did a brief article on him and it was carried across the web

also

Brian Lawton should have been your starting point--he is one of the few former NHLers taht Carey keeps in touch with

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Yo know, years from now, hockey history nuts born in the 90s are going to be puzzled by this.

Honestly, Carey looked like the real deal (as we would also, to be fair, we'd see later in Turek and Cechmanek) when he first came into the league. I remember as clear as yesterday thinking, "Wow, this guy got 9 shutouts!".

I was also thinking (cause 10 shutouts seemed out of the realm of possibility back then) that this guy was going to be around a while. And you wouldn't BELIEVE who tied for the league in losses that year with Bill Ranford. Yup, you bet!

I've never seen the wheels come off the chariot like that, so far, so fast!

And you know what? Even when he started going downhill, I thought, "He'll be back, he's got too much talent, not to".

97-98, he starts coming back with 2 shutouts 3-2-1 record in only 10 games. I thought, he's back. But go figure he's back in the minors next year and boom, he cleans house with Providence, proving that 96/97 was just all an off year.

And then a year later he's out of the league!

Looking back, I just think Jim got tired of it all. Tired of being jerked around, tired of people waiting for a return to 95/96 season, tired of hockey in general.

It the irony of ironies, I honestly believe his early success doomed him to expectations that he couldn't match, but that everyone assumed he'd exceed.

Even just writing this now, I'm amazed! Did I really think all this. Yes I did. Did this all happen to Jim. Yes it did!

http://mscapsfan.tripod.com/carey0700.html

http://scottywazz.blogspot.com/2010/03/absurd-goalie-monday-jim-carey.html

Reactions: randywoodsghost

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Personally, I thought Osgood outplayed him in his Vezina Trophy year, but I guess the GM's liked the guy who played 20 more games and got more shutouts. Weird that it seemed all the best goalies of the era had down years by their standards in 95-96.

Probably one of the weakest Vezina Trophy winning years on record.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Not mention what a blockbuster trade.

As a Bruins fan, I remember this deal well. Carey was the centerpiece of it, and we got Anson Carter, Jason Allison, and 2 picks, sending Tocchet, Oates, and Ranford the other way.

I remember being at the first game in Boston after the trade. My thoughts were:
1. Carey is the stud in the deal. Guy will be in between the pipes in Boston for 10+ years.
2. Anson Carter is pretty good, looks like he'll be a nice addition. Good speed, played hard, I even think he scored a goal in that first game.
3. Jason Allison is the worst skater I have ever seen at the NHL level. I thought he was awful, all around, and was going to be a career minor leaguer.

Funny how those things worked out.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
As a Bruins fan, I remember this deal well. Carey was the centerpiece of it, and we got Anson Carter, Jason Allison, and 2 picks, sending Tocchet, Oates, and Ranford the other way.

I remember being at the first game in Boston after the trade. My thoughts were:
1. Carey is the stud in the deal. Guy will be in between the pipes in Boston for 10+ years.
2. Anson Carter is pretty good, looks like he'll be a nice addition. Good speed, played hard, I even think he scored a goal in that first game.
3. Jason Allison is the worst skater I have ever seen at the NHL level. I thought he was awful, all around, and was going to be a career minor leaguer.

Funny how those things worked out.
1.Tocchet - premier power forward in starting decline, anyway pretty nice addition to any team
2. Oates - best pure playmaker in the game in that moment
3. Ranford - Conn Smythe trophy winner

I wouldnt like this as a Boston fan... Still Carey had a huge name that time.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Personally, I thought Osgood outplayed him in his Vezina Trophy year, but I guess the GM's liked the guy who played 20 more games and got more shutouts. Weird that it seemed all the best goalies of the era had down years by their standards in 95-96.

Probably one of the weakest Vezina Trophy winning years on record.

Osgood probably did outperform Carey this year. But the true best goalie in the league was still Hasek, playoffs or not.

The voters simply got seduced by Carey's shutouts. His sv% was not even that good.

Retrospectively, I'd vote him in at 7th-8th that year, after Hasek, Roy, Puppa, Osgood, and Fuhr at least.

This was well-discussed in another thread not too long ago, but I forget which.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Osgood probably did outperform Carey this year. But the true best goalie in the league was still Hasek, playoffs or not.

The voters simply got seduced by Carey's shutouts. His sv% was not even that good.

Retrospectively, I'd vote him in at 7th-8th that year, after Hasek, Roy, Puppa, Osgood, and Fuhr at least.

This was well-discussed in another thread not too long ago, but I forget which.

Being below 500 and a 2.83 GAA hurt Hasek, but sure, an argument could be made that he should have done better in the voting. An argument could be made for Brodeur as well, but just missing the playoffs hurt him.

I don't think the GM's wanted to vote for Roy after the way he handled the Tremblay incident earlier that year, but yeah, he was better than Carey as well. Although, Osgood had him beat in every stat.

I remember not being too impressed with the choice back when it happened, but it just seemed like so many of the elite guys, had below par regular seasons. I find it hard to believe the GM's would be seduced by a shutout count, but there really is no other reasonable explanation.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
1.Tocchet - premier power forward in starting decline, anyway pretty nice addition to any team
2. Oates - best pure playmaker in the game in that moment
3. Ranford - Conn Smythe trophy winner

I wouldnt like this as a Boston fan... Still Carey had a huge name that time.

Well, the thing was, Boston was AWFUL that season. It was clearly time for a rebuild, and IIRC, Tocchet and Oates had both just bashed management, sealing their tickets out of town.

So adding Carey, Allison, Carter, and then Thornton and Samsonov (in just the first round of the draft) between March and June of that year was a pretty good move, in light of where the B's were as a team at the time.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Well, the thing was, Boston was AWFUL that season. It was clearly time for a rebuild, and IIRC, Tocchet and Oates had both just bashed management, sealing their tickets out of town.

So adding Carey, Allison, Carter, and then Thornton and Samsonov (in just the first round of the draft) between March and June of that year was a pretty good move, in light of where the B's were as a team at the time.
Well, I didnt know about circumstances. I am not B´s fan. Thanx.

lovetherangers

Mar 5, 2010
New York
If anyone remembers the "Net Detective" and what happened to him, I've made a post in my blog about him for all those interested in reading:

http://collectorscornerccg.blogspot.com/2011/01/where-are-they-now-2-jim-carey.html

It took me a long time to track down his where about's so I hope any who take the time to read will enjoy.

My brother worked in Boston for a few years in the 90's, and his company used to get great seats at the Garden. He was able to get Carey's stick, and got it signed no less. I still have it in my man cave with the rest of my sports mem. One of the coolest things my brother got me for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad